is Homogenised milk better for us?

Hotpepper20000

I actually meant to say ‘unhomogenised’ and I’m referring to people with pre or actual diabetics?
Unhomogenised or not makes no difference to BG numbers.
I wouldn’t drink either as it spikes my BG. I stick to heavy cream.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually meant to say ‘unhomogenised’ and I’m referring to people with pre or actual diabetics?
Don't see why it would make any difference. Homogenised milk is forced through a small nozzle to break up the fat into finer globules that remain in suspension in the milk, the constituents don't change.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sure you don't mean unpasteurised?

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
I try and avoid un-homogenised milk, not for any health reasons, but for simple practical ones. The process is mechanical, not involving heat or any chemicals and stops the milk fats from depositing on your plastic milk carton necks [who buys milk in glass bottles these days?]. I always use full-fat milk [and 10% fat yoghurt, Lancashire Farms version is great].
The other advantage of homogenised milk is, if you like your coffee Barista-style and frothy, un-homogenised milk will not froth up well.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just to clarify.... Pasteurization is "cooking" the milk to kill germs and is the standard ( as opposed to RAW milk which is untreated at all)

Homogenization is a process AFTER pasteurization that mechanically smashes up the fat particles (CREAM as it is really called) and re-distributes it evenly throughout the liquid..... mainly introduced to allow supermarkets to sell larger bottle sizes (4pt or 6pt)

I think some of the comments relate to pasteurization NOT homogenization!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Most homogenised milk you by is also pasteurized as is unhomogenised.