Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Lilysun the positive is that the doc is letting you try diet first even if the expectation around weight is unrealistic. Surely the target should be glucose levels not weight. Are you still testing your blood?

Reemap

Thank you all so much for your helpful replies.

I saw another doc a few days ago who (slightly reluctantly) agreed to let me try and control sugar levels with diet and exercise and then repeat another hb1ac in about eight weeks. Trouble is she said she wanted me to lose 8kg in 8 weeks. I know this is do-able but I’m breastfeeding. I can’t go on a very strict diet- and now I’m worried that if I don’t lose this amount of weight so quickly it’s going to show I’m not disciplined. I think it was a bit irresponsible of her to put pressure on a breastfeeding mother to lose that much weight so quickly. But I’m going tn try!
Hi .. i would suggest not to loose weight so fast as you are breastfeeding and your baby needs nutrients from your milk. Even I m still breastfeeding .. I went on Low carb diet and lost weight automatically.. after delivery till now lost 18kgs ..

Lilysun

@Lilysun the positive is that the doc is letting you try diet first even if the expectation around weight is unrealistic. Surely the target should be glucose levels not weight. Are you still testing your blood?
Yes I’m still testing blood. It’s a bit unpredictable. Sometimes it’s as high as 12 after a carby meal but sometimes it’ll be stable around 6.0. I kept a detailed diary of everything I ate and blood sugar levels afterwards during my pregnancy so may have to go back to that to work out what triggers are and how to avoid them.

Reactions: Diakat

Lilysun

Hi .. i would suggest not to loose weight so fast as you are breastfeeding and your baby needs nutrients from your milk. Even I m still breastfeeding .. I went on Low carb diet and lost weight automatically.. after delivery till now lost 18kgs ..
That’s an awesome reduction! Well done!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all so much for your helpful replies.

I saw another doc a few days ago who (slightly reluctantly) agreed to let me try and control sugar levels with diet and exercise and then repeat another hb1ac in about eight weeks. Trouble is she said she wanted me to lose 8kg in 8 weeks. I know this is do-able but I’m breastfeeding. I can’t go on a very strict diet- and now I’m worried that if I don’t lose this amount of weight so quickly it’s going to show I’m not disciplined. I think it was a bit irresponsible of her to put pressure on a breastfeeding mother to lose that much weight so quickly. But I’m going tn try!
Sorry, I didn't see this sooner. :( The doc IS being irresponsible with the "loose 8 kilo's" mandate.... While losing weight would help some with your insulin sensitivity/resistance, the main goal here is to get your blood sugars under control. Everything else will follow from there. So many still put the cart before the horse. *sigh* Whatever you do, if you do go low carb, don't go under 50 grams of carbs a day. Regardless what the doc said, you put yourself and your baby first. Keep it a healthy balance for the both of you eh.

*hugs*
Jo

marzak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
inactivity, being stuck indoors
Hi all,

I’m a bit upset right now and hoping someone on here might understand or shed a little light.
Seven months ago I had my first baby. During the latter part of the pregnancy I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My hb1ac was 49, just over the limit of 48 but they treated me as someone who has type 2 and put me on insulin (I had morning sickness throughout so wouldn’t have been able to tolerate metformin). I controlled it well and straight after the birth BS levels seemed to be normal.

I’ve just found out the results of another hb1ac test. This one was 61! And I’m not even pregnant. Being a new mum with family far away I will admit my diet hasn’t been great and most days it’s been a struggle to find time to eat the takeaway I hastily order let alone make a healthy lunch and eat it too. I’m very confused as doctor wasn’t clear and wants to see if I have MODY, another type of diabetes.

Even with my diet being bad over the last few months, I think the result of 61 still indicates that I’m diabetic. If a person without diabetes has a really poor diet for a few months does their hb1ac still come out as below 48? I’m so upset and confused and trying not to show it in front of my baby (I’ve been crying with my back to him so he doesn’t see but he doesn’t like that much either!). I made a huge effort to control my GD and it was so hard watching and thinking about every single thing I ate. But there was light at the end of the tunnel then as I thought it would be over after the birth. Now even the thought of being that strict with myself with a new baby is exhausting. I guess I just wanted to hear people’s thoughts on this.
105 I was diagnosed with in April of this year but I was normal on last test but my diet isn't remotely the same and exercise is absolutely key. I would say sleep too but I realise that young-uns don't allow that! Get down to lidl or another cheap store and buy several bags of nuts and seeds and porridge oats and tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, mangetout peas, peppers and other veg. or frozen veg. No more pasta rice bread or potatoes. Everytime you feel hungry feast on raw veg and a handful of nuts varying them. Have porridge with lots of added seeds for breakfast with blueberries and chopped apple and full fat milk or yoghurt but NOTHING SWEETENED. Make sure you stop eating at night by 8pm and breakfastr not before 7am so that you have a good long fast every night. Get outdoors for a walk with baby every day and walk a little bit more every day in daylight. You will start to feel good and then when you do you can become positive and motivated and full of energy and look forward to an active happy life with your little one. I wish I was still so young my 24 year old is barking incomprehensible IT speak at me... there is whole new world of interesting low carb food out there. I have spent 6 months changing things and I feel so much better so best of luck but one little step more every day and you will be amazed at how far it will take you.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
105 I was diagnosed with in April of this year but I was normal on last test but my diet isn't remotely the same and exercise is absolutely key. I would say sleep too but I realise that young-uns don't allow that! Get down to lidl or another cheap store and buy several bags of nuts and seeds and porridge oats and tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, mangetout peas, peppers and other veg. or frozen veg. No more pasta rice bread or potatoes. Everytime you feel hungry feast on raw veg and a handful of nuts varying them. Have porridge with lots of added seeds for breakfast with blueberries and chopped apple and full fat milk or yoghurt but NOTHING SWEETENED. Make sure you stop eating at night by 8pm and breakfastr not before 7am so that you have a good long fast every night. Get outdoors for a walk with baby every day and walk a little bit more every day in daylight. You will start to feel good and then when you do you can become positive and motivated and full of energy and look forward to an active happy life with your little one. I wish I was still so young my 24 year old is barking incomprehensible IT speak at me... there is whole new world of interesting low carb food out there. I have spent 6 months changing things and I feel so much better so best of luck but one little step more every day and you will be amazed at how far it will take you.
Oats, peas, carrots and apples are high in carbs... ;) So if you want, you can still go lower!

Lilysun

Thank you this is so helpful x

himma1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I’m a bit upset right now and hoping someone on here might understand or shed a little light.
Seven months ago I had my first baby. During the latter part of the pregnancy I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. My hb1ac was 49, just over the limit of 48 but they treated me as someone who has type 2 and put me on insulin (I had morning sickness throughout so wouldn’t have been able to tolerate metformin). I controlled it well and straight after the birth BS levels seemed to be normal.

I’ve just found out the results of another hb1ac test. This one was 61! And I’m not even pregnant. Being a new mum with family far away I will admit my diet hasn’t been great and most days it’s been a struggle to find time to eat the takeaway I hastily order let alone make a healthy lunch and eat it too. I’m very confused as doctor wasn’t clear and wants to see if I have MODY, another type of diabetes.

Even with my diet being bad over the last few months, I think the result of 61 still indicates that I’m diabetic. If a person without diabetes has a really poor diet for a few months does their hb1ac still come out as below 48? I’m so upset and confused and trying not to show it in front of my baby (I’ve been crying with my back to him so he doesn’t see but he doesn’t like that much either!). I made a huge effort to control my GD and it was so hard watching and thinking about every single thing I ate. But there was light at the end of the tunnel then as I thought it would be over after the birth. Now even the thought of being that strict with myself with a new baby is exhausting. I guess I just wanted to hear people’s thoughts on this.

Hi @Lilysun, I totally understand as I am going through something similar. Had diagnosed with GD 28 weeks into pregnancy, was diet and exercise controlled. Everyone told me it goes away and given I have normal BMI, hba1c has been in the normal range and no family diagnosed with type 2. I then failed the GTT 6 weeks after delivery. Doctor asked me to do the hba1c and that came back at non-diabetic levels (5.3% in the US so I think that translates to 34)? Fasting was in the normal range too but based on the GTT results along after 2 HR mark (above 11), that puts me at being diabetic. It was a huge shock given my hba1c was also normal early in pregnancy. Given the current COVID situation here in the US, I haven't been able to get further testing done to figure out if I really am Type 2 or it's something else. It's hard enough being a new mom and I couldn't help but feel helpless and cry with all the uncertainties and the sudden loss of freedom to eat as I please going forward. It took me a long time to even find anyone in this similar situation given all I heard was that it goes away once baby is born. I am still trying to come to terms with this new reality but I would love to start a group for moms like us to connect as I feel like it would help tremendously to have the support from others who are going through the same thing. You are doing your best given the circumstances. Feel free to reach out. xxHugs

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @himma1 ,

Welcome to the forum. It may be a good idea for you to start a new thread and introduce yourself. mPeople here are amazing and will give advice and support.

Welcome- read around and ask questions. It can be a tough enough time just with a possible diagnosis itself without being a new mum and the current world circumstances.

Take car of yourself and your baby.

Welcome

Reactions: himma1