Sugar spike

Dpaterson9

Hi all.
This may be obvious and I may be daft for asking this (apologies if that's the case) but I'm new to this as you know.
I was about to go out a run so drank a 500ml bottle of Lucozade Sport with 18 gram of sugar and I took my blood literally 10 minutes after guzzling this and blood was 9.7. After a 5k run it was at 5.8. My question is, was this likely to be the lucozade and only after 10 minutes?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Could well be carbs taken in liquid form are absorbed very quickly that is why Lucozade is or was a popular treatment for hypos.

Colin Crowhurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetics can have both HYPO- (think hypodermic needle, so small) ie LOW sugar
HYPER (thin hyperdrive so large) ie HIGH sugar

Both can be an issue!

Reactions: Dpaterson9

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Ah I see, hypos are low sugar? Sorry I really am a newbie
Is OK my bad should have explained better a hypo is an incidence of hypoglycemia as you said low blood sugar 3.9 or under can be considered in normal terms a hypo I have been down to 2.2 and it is not pleasant.

Also welcome to the forum.

John

Dpaterson9

Is OK my bad should have explained better a hypo is an incidence of hypoglycemia as you said low blood sugar 3.9 or under can be considered in normal terms a hypo I have been down to 2.2 and it is not pleasant.

Also welcome to the forum.

John

Aw got you. So we really want to be in between the two really? That's the aim I guess. So symptoms of low and high would be? Just so I know what to look out for

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
High blood sugar you may not even feel although the damage would still be happening you could experience the following
Increased thirst.
Headaches.
Trouble concentrating.
Blurred vision.
Frequent peeing.
Fatigue

Hypos are considered more immediately dangerous though type2s seldom if ever go hypo unless on blood sugar lowering medication such as insulin.
Symptoms and sign can include the following

feeling hungry
sweating
tingling lips
feeling shaky or trembling
dizziness
feeling tired
a fast or pounding heartbeat (palpitations)
becoming easily irritated, tearful, stroppy or moody
turning pale

And can lead to more serious symptoms such as

weakness
blurred vision
difficulty concentrating
confusion
unusual behaviour, slurred speech or clumsiness (like being drunk)
feeling sleepy
fits (seizures)
collapsing or passing out

Dpaterson9

High blood sugar you may not even feel although the damage would still be happening you could experience the following
Increased thirst.
Headaches.
Trouble concentrating.
Blurred vision.
Frequent peeing.
Fatigue

Hypos are considered more immediately dangerous though type2s seldom if ever go hypo unless on blood sugar lowering medication such as insulin.

feeling hungry
sweating
tingling lips
dizziness
feeling tired
turning pale

weakness
blurred vision
difficulty concentrating
confusion
feeling sleepy
fits (seizures)
Increased thirst.
Headaches.
Trouble concentrating.
Blurred vision.
Frequent peeing.
Fatigue

feeling hungry
sweating
tingling lips
dizziness
feeling tired
turning pale

weakness
blurred vision
difficulty concentrating
confusion
feeling sleepy
fits (seizures)
Wow. Some scary symptoms there. I am pre-diabetes so hoping I can turn this around with diet. Still not sure if what I'm eating is the best but sure ill soon find out

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow. Some scary symptoms there. I am pre-diabetes so hoping I can turn this around with diet. Still not sure if what I'm eating is the best but sure ill soon find out
Well if you let people know what you are eating then it'll be easier to find out :)
Though I wouldn't suggest something as sugary as Lucozade unless trying to treat a hypo (which is unlikely to happen unless taking blood glucose lowering meds)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why are you drinking lucozade if you have prediabetes?
You shouldn't get hypo's as a prediabetic, no need to carb up before exercise. Hypo's are for people on certain diabetes meds like insulin or gliclazide.
I was about to go out a run so drank a 500ml bottle of Lucozade Sport
Why? You can drink plain water when you exercise to keep your fluids up and eat normal or low carb food for hunger. Those 18 grams of sugar are useless.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.
This may be obvious and I may be daft for asking this (apologies if that's the case) but I'm new to this as you know.
I was about to go out a run so drank a 500ml bottle of Lucozade Sport with 18 gram of sugar and I took my blood literally 10 minutes after guzzling this and blood was 9.7. After a 5k run it was at 5.8. My question is, was this likely to be the lucozade and only after 10 minutes?
Hi and welcome. Yes that Lucozade could have been the cause of the spike, but you don’t need to drink sugary drinks before exercising. Water for hydration is all you need as @Antje77 has said.
You are doing absolutely the right thing looking on this forum for advice, that’s a great start and hopefully you’ll be able to stop your prediabetes developing into full blown type 2 by cutting sugar and starchy carbs from your diet.
Look around the forum, read and ask as many questions as you want. You’re in safe hands.

Reactions: Antje77

Dpaterson9

Why are you drinking lucozade if you have prediabetes?
You shouldn't get hypo's as a prediabetic, no need to carb up before exercise. Hypo's are for people on certain diabetes meds like insulin or gliclazide.

Do you think if I had known either of these or were knowledgable in this area I would 1. Have took the lucozade or 2. Asked about it?!

Dpaterson9

Hi and welcome. Yes that Lucozade could have been the cause of the spike, but you don’t need to drink sugary drinks before exercising. Water for hydration is all you need as @Antje77 has said.
You are doing absolutely the right thing looking on this forum for advice, that’s a great start and hopefully you’ll be able to stop your prediabetes developing into full blown type 2 by cutting sugar and starchy carbs from your diet.
Look around the forum, read and ask as many questions as you want. You’re in safe hands.

Hi. Thank you for advice. Didn't like @Antje77 comment if I'm honest. Asking me why I'm drinking lucozade?! If I knew it was a bad thing to do I wouldn't be drinking it. I did state "newbie" to all this. Was not constructive in the slightest

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thank you for advice. Didn't like @Antje77 comment if I'm honest. Asking me why I'm drinking lucozade?! If I knew it was a bad thing to do I wouldn't be drinking it. I did state "newbie" to all this. Was not constructive in the slightest
I'm sorry, I didn't mean it the way you read it.
I meant it as a simple question: You said: "I was about to go out a run so drank a 500ml bottle of Lucozade Sport" so I wondered why you drank it as it sounded like it's an obvious thing for you to drink before running.
Could have been for quick energy for sports, could have been because of fear for a hypo beacause you read about those in relation to diabetes or it could have been because you like lucozade and you were thirsty and hadn't realised the amount of sugar in it.

So my question 'Why are you drinking lucozade' was simply a question, not a telling off in the least.

Now I've double checked on my post to see where I went wrong I see I asked the why twice, and I see how that can come across as condescending. Believe me, my double question wasn't on purpose, just a case of not re-reading my post before replying.

Let me add a tip as well: It helps if you mention your type of diabetes in your opening posts or fill out that part of your profile to prevent misunderstandings in the replies.
In this case you've received replies about hypo's, which aren't likely to be relevant with prediabetes.
Aw got you. So we really want to be in between the two really? That's the aim I guess. So symptoms of low and high would be? Just so I know what to look out for
As long as you're not on diabets medication you don't need to try to stay in between the two, you only want to keep from going high (which is hard enough in itself!).

Wish you all the best, and I hope I've made a better impression second time around ;)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It can be very confusing and overwhelming at the beginning. I was the same, I started keeping raisins in my bag in case I had a hypo, I didn’t realise that as I was just on metformin that would not happen.
You’ve made a great start by getting yourself a glucose meter, well done. If you test just before a meal and again at 2 hrs after your first bite, you are looking for a spike of less than 2mmol. If it’s higher, that meal sadly has too much carbohydrate. All carbohydrate is broken down to sugar so it’s not just a matter of cutting out obvious sugar in cakes and biscuits ( although that’s a good start) Most people on here who have achieved good control have cut out ( or drastically limited) starchy carbs such as bread, pasta rice and spuds. Test test test and you will soon figure out which foods work for you and which don’t. Good luck

Dpaterson9

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it the way you read it.
I meant it as a simple question: You said: "I was about to go out a run so drank a 500ml bottle of Lucozade Sport" so I wondered why you drank it as it sounded like it's an obvious thing for you to drink before running.
Could have been for quick energy for sports, could have been because of fear for a hypo beacause you read about those in relation to diabetes or it could have been because you like lucozade and you were thirsty and hadn't realised the amount of sugar in it.

So my question 'Why are you drinking lucozade' was simply a question, not a telling off in the least.

Now I've double checked on my post to see where I went wrong I see I asked the why twice, and I see how that can come across as condescending. Believe me, my double question wasn't on purpose, just a case of not re-reading my post before replying.

Let me add a tip as well: It helps if you mention your type of diabetes in your opening posts or fill out that part of your profile to prevent misunderstandings in the replies.
In this case you've received replies about hypo's, which aren't likely to be relevant with prediabetes.

As long as you're not on diabets medication you don't need to try to stay in between the two, you only want to keep from going high (which is hard enough in itself!).

Wish you all the best, and I hope I've made a better impression second time around ;)

Yeah sorry I took you're post the wrong way. I perhaps should have explained why I took the lucozade. I feel it gives me a 'boost' physically when I'm running but when I took my blood, I was like aw ******, why is it high and my first suspect was lucozade

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah sorry I took you're post the wrong way. I perhaps should have explained why I took the lucozade. I feel it gives me a 'boost' physically when I'm running but when I took my blood, I was like aw ******, why is it high and my first suspect was lucozade
Glad we got rid of that misunderstanding ;)
And yes, lucozade does that. For many diabetics on insulin (which gives you hypo's every once in a while) lucozade is first choice to treat a hypo because it gets your bg up so quick.

Keep reading and asking questions and you'll get the hang of this diabetes thing quickly. The more you know the easier it gets to make sensible choices, and whenever you make a mistake, no worries, you'll know how to avoid it next time.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah I see, hypos are low sugar? Sorry I really am a newbie

It's no fun finding out that all the things you love to eat and drink are probably spiking your blood sugar now if you are prediabetic. If you want a quick way to tick off the boxes, make a list of all the things you would like to eat and drink (like Lucozade) that you aren't sure about and people here can help let you know if they are likely to give you a big spike so you know to avoid them or have just them in small amounts.

It's good to have a list of "safe" foods that you can just eat without worrying that it's really spiking your blood sugar. There are different ways to approach your new way of eating. I decided to reduce carbohydrates to a minimum but still allow small amounts here and there. It's probably keeping my blood sugar at bay for now but the more you let the carbs creep back in, the sooner you'll creep towards full blown diabetes.

So, as long as you are not overeating, snacking and combining carbs and fats, you can eat things like this and it won't spike your blood sugar too much (test and see for yourself of course):

GOOD
Fresh meat of any kind. - Steaks, pork belly, roasts, chicken, fresh or tinned fish.
BEWARE of sausages, which often have cereals added, and bacon and ham, which can have small amounts of sugar. You can still eat those though but just count it as some carbs for that meal.
BAD: Meat pies, on the other hand, is something to be very careful of - I had one once and it spiked me to 10mmol at the one hour mark. I guess it was the pastry but there may have been a lot of flour in the gravy too.

GOOD
Most vegetables are okay BUT potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, brussel spouts and a few others can have a lot of carbs so if I make a roast, I will have 1/2 to one small potato only if I don't want to worry. Instead of lots of potatoes, I eat all the yummy fat on the meat - that does nothing much to the blood sugar.

So out of those two categories, meat and vegetables, you can base most of your meals around that and know that you aren't hurting your blood sugar too much. But always test before and 2 hours after (even 1 hour after as well to see the spike) and then you'll know for sure.

Other things that can make GOOD safe snacks in moderate amounts would be things like cheese and nuts. Just don't have the beer with those ;)

BAD
As for everything else on the supermarket shelf, it was probably made with wheat, corn or some other grain, plus a load of white sugar and vegetable oil. Think bread, pastries, chips, biscuits, breakfast cereals, and anything else that seems convenient. None of that will do your blood sugar any good. So if you have to eat some, try to have 1/4 of what you would have had normally, and make an effort to kiss them goodbye to a great extent. It's sad but grains are what is fed to farm animals to fatten them up before slaughter, and grains are fed to humans in the way of processed foods, and guess what they do to us? Fatten us up and give us diabetes... Once you can accept that fact, you will start to look at foods in the supermarket differently. It's a head shift that's worth making early so you can preserve your health longer.

BAD...
And fruit is a strange one. You think it gives you vitamins, but it also gives you a massive blood sugar spike, especially if you drink fruit juice! The only GOOD fruits you can eat small amounts of without major consequence are the berries - strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. Otherwise, if you want to eat fruit, eat 1/4 to 1/2 a piece at one meal. And don't have too many other carbs at the same time.

But luckily there are plenty of yummy things you can still eat in the meat, vegetables, nuts, dairy categories.

Dairy foods, like milk, can give you a small rise. Cream, because it's high fat, won't spike your blood sugar much. So some like to have cream in their coffee to know there's no spikes happening.

As far as other drinks go, like Lucozade, the only drinks I have and know they are fairly safe are: water, tea with a bit of milk, coffee with cream, coconut water (about the same amount of carbs as milk), wine sometimes.
I haven't drunk soft drink for 20 years so that wasn't one I had to quit, but fruit juice I used to love, now I don't have it anymore.

What would you normally be eating for each of your meals? Let us know and we can give you some advice about what might be causing a spike for you.

Good luck!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.

Hi @Dpaterson9 ,

Welcome to the forum.

It's great you have a meter!

My own experince with these sort of drinks (used to treat hypos as a T1.) is they hit hard & fast with carbs converting into Blood glucose.

Excuse the analogy, but it's a little like a drug user on a night out with cocaine?
Locozade can give a quick "rush" you witnessed that with the BG test.
Then sort of have you comming back for more..
What also may have happened after the run, is a liver release of glycogen onto the blood?

If you're a driver? Think of the HbA1c test done as an average speed check.
The meter taking a snapshot in time, as a speed camera.
If you can aquire a sensor like a Freestle Libre? It's more like a "dash cam?" Filming how you drive & with GPS recording your speed..

Hope this helps you chop sense into diet & BG regarding your recent diagnosis.

There is a link in my signature but I'll post it here if you haven't already seen it elsewhere. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a lot to take on board at the beginning. Don't worry about trying to understand it all at once.

If you could tell us what you eat in a typical day, perhaps we could help you.