So I experimented today...

ExiledJack

Hi guys,

After reading Dr Fung’s book I want to get off insulin ASAP. I’m 99% sure I’m type 2. Blood sugars were 17 fasted on diagnosis a month ago.

Lantus and Novorapid has controlled my sugars well but I’ve lowered my carbs to 50g a day. Blood glucose was in the 4s this morning so decided to skip my morning Lantus and track my blood glucose throughout the day. Please see results below.

Does anyone else think that the Lantus may not be needed? I’ll take it tonight before bed but I’m encouraged by the below and will be calling my diabetic nurse on Tuesday to try and plan a way off insulin. I’m a bit worried they’ll think low carb is wrong because it goes against the official advice.

All comments welcome, thanks all.

IMG_5144.jpg

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I've never been on insulin so no help at all but those results look great. I am sorry that you are worried about what advice you might get officially because low carb hasn't yet been 'discovered' by the overall medical profession. It is so great to be able to get advice that will allow the reduction, elimination or the non need of medication isn't it.

Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are getting low numbers they can hardly expect you to inject insulin and risk going even lower.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m surprised you were put on insulin with a FBG of 17. I was 22 and metformin for two weeks. Did they tell you why you were put on it?

ExiledJack

I’m surprised you were put on insulin with a FBG of 17. I was 22 and metformin for two weeks. Did they tell you why you were put on it?

They said I was a bit young for type 2 but a bit old for type 1 so they wanted to play it safe and treat me as type 1 until the blood results come back. Still waiting but family history of type 2. There was insulin in my urine sample so more than likely type 2.

My dad was diagnosed with the same numbers as me (albeit in his 50s not 30s) and he is on met and diet so i was a bit shocked I was given insulin.

Reactions: Flora123

ExiledJack

They said I was a bit young for type 2 but a bit old for type 1 so they wanted to play it safe and treat me as type 1 until the blood results come back. Still waiting but family history of type 2. There was insulin in my urine sample so more than likely type 2.

My dad was diagnosed with the same numbers as me (albeit in his 50s not 30s) and he is on met and diet so i was a bit shocked I was given insulin.

I was kept in hospital for two nights on IV insulin and was around 14 mmol when I left.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

A bit young? A bit old? Absolute rubbish, they clearly imo don't really know what to do. Using age as a guide to type is poor practice imo. Hopefully they get your results back soon so you can get on with life.

We cannot give medical advice such what you asking in regards to lantus, but while you wait for results, you will need to monitor your levels if you are decreasing carbs. That's obvious, but sometimes people don't and bad hypos are no fun at all.

If you are going to go the low carb route, then make it clear to them you are. It is important they know for many reasons. If they don't like it, then that's their problem. What you eat is up to you, not someone else and cannot be dictated to you and don't be put off by comments from DN's or HCP's who sometimes can be very pushy and anti low carb. Hopefully you get a supportive DN, after all, that is what they are there for....to support you. And there is a LOT of value when you get a supportive one.

I hope you get your results soon.