Help please.....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the decades I was put on diets, my body learned to cope on fewer calories - so these days if I eat too little I just slow down, sleep longer, need to rest - my body temperature drops and my heart rate slows .
These days eating two meals a day which are low carb my energy levels are much better, things are running properly.I eat morning and evening which seems to suit me best.

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I am very lucky in that I love my life and don’t think I have any real stress or anxiety - apart from wanting to get this under control. I do plenty of exercise as I have 3 horses and dogs and also lucky to have land with my house so plenty to do outside all the time. I have started tai chi and loving that.

Another thing with exercise is you are used to a certain level. Ie walking all day and working out mucking stalls is normal for you whereas an unfit person may struggle. But if you want to lose more weight and get fitter, you need to do more on top of that.

More active muscles means better insulin sensitivity, but if you do the same thing all the time (ie walks, looking after horses) your muscles don't see this as challenge, it's their new normal, they got used to it so no further need for more storage space for your glucose (glycogen i think, in muscle form).
Same as for me, I was used to training every day, that was nornal, but I had to up the time and add weight training to see a difference. And now a new exercise like cycling, even though only 45min, completely drops my sugar like nothing else as I'm not used to that yet.

It may be very hard for you to find the time on top of everything you do, but have a search for the effects of resistance training or hiit training as well as other exercises you are not doing regularly, like cycling or swimming. This may help to build new muscle/increase muscles and help with insulin sensitivity.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The bad news: people with T2D have a fatty liver,

just a word of caution about making this statement.

While a fatty liver (non alcoholic fatty liver disease) is common in type 2 diabetes, it is not universal.

There are many T2s out there whose livers are not fatty, and whose T2 does not necessarily improve by the weight loss suggested for those who do have fatty livers.

The medical profession tend to use T2 as a blanket term for several different sub types of diabetes, and they do not all fit into the Highly-insulin-resistant-fatty-liver and-visceral-fat description. Which is a pity, because it means that there is no one size fits all solution.

Reactions: KK123

Missmollymidi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another thing with exercise is you are used to a certain level. Ie walking all day and working out mucking stalls is normal for you whereas an unfit person may struggle. But if you want to lose more weight and get fitter, you need to do more on top of that.

More active muscles means better insulin sensitivity, but if you do the same thing all the time (ie walks, looking after horses) your muscles don't see this as challenge, it's their new normal, they got used to it so no further need for more storage space for your glucose (glycogen i think, in muscle form).
Same as for me, I was used to training every day, that was nornal, but I had to up the time and add weight training to see a difference. And now a new exercise like cycling, even though only 45min, completely drops my sugar like nothing else as I'm not used to that yet.

It may be very hard for you to find the time on top of everything you do, but have a search for the effects of resistance training or hiit training as well as other exercises you are not doing regularly, like cycling or swimming. This may help to build new muscle/increase muscles and help with insulin sensitivity.
That’s interesting thank you. Maybe I need to get a bike....

Missmollymidi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the decades I was put on diets, my body learned to cope on fewer calories - so these days if I eat too little I just slow down, sleep longer, need to rest - my body temperature drops and my heart rate slows .
These days eating two meals a day which are low carb my energy levels are much better, things are running properly.I eat morning and evening which seems to suit me best.
I think my body can survive on almost nothing. A nutritionist told me once that if the world ever ran out of food I would be one of the last ones standing!

Missmollymidi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
just a word of caution about making this statement.

While a fatty liver (non alcoholic fatty liver disease) is common in type 2 diabetes, it is not universal.

There are many T2s out there whose livers are not fatty, and whose T2 does not necessarily improve by the weight loss suggested for those who do have fatty livers.

The medical profession tend to use T2 as a blanket term for several different sub types of diabetes, and they do not all fit into the Highly-insulin-resistant-fatty-liver and-visceral-fat description. Which is a pity, because it means that there is no one size fits all solution.
Interesting because my sister has been T2 for 25 years and she is younger than me and has always been really skinny ( on the outside) she has just now gone on to insulin . Diabetes runs wild through both sides of my family ( both T1 and T2) and none of us have avoided it although I am a lot older than the rest on diagnosis but I have to think that maybe I have been T2 for a good while but just not diagnosed as I have never had reason to go to the doctor until now.

Reactions: Brunneria

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think my body can survive on almost nothing. A nutritionist told me once that if the world ever ran out of food I would be one of the last ones standing!
This is what the horse world would describe as being “a good doer” :)