My diet

Dpaterson9

Hi. Thank you everyone for you're kind posts. @Cocosilk I'll tell you the foods I tend to eat.

Breakfast: porridge (plain without sugar)

Lunch: egg mayo or chicken sandwich

Dinner: chicken, brocoli and parsnip/beetroot chips. Sometimes pasta with mince

This, of course, is the foods I'm now eating. Before I found out about my HBA1 test thing I was eating takeaways, chocolate, tea with 2 sugar etc

Reactions: Cocosilk

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eek. Porridge can be a problem for some, you would need test.

Can you swap out the bread for a lettuce wrap?

I have to be careful with parsnip and beetroot (both underground veggies)

Chips are definitely off the menu as is the pasta.

Pasta alternatives, search your superarket online shop for konjac.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Celeriac mash and Cauliflower mash are tasty low-carb replacements of potatoes (less than 3g carb per 100g mash). I usually have 100g mash with dinners.
Easy to cook:
cut into boil-friendly pieces
boil in water
throw water
mash it in saucepan, optionally with a bit of butter

Makes 3-5 100g portions of mash depending on size of celeriac or cauliflower. Keeps well in tupperware in ref.

Reactions: coby

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Breakfast: porridge (plain without sugar)

Lunch: egg mayo or chicken sandwich

Dinner: chicken, brocoli and parsnip/beetroot chips. Sometimes pasta with mince

Those who have reduced their carb intake have been able to cope with different amounts of carb. I cut out bread/potatoes (all veg underground)/pasta/rice/ what I call obvious carbs which would obviously include cake/biscuits etc. I was able to throw away Gliclazide, januvia and atorvastatin (cholesterol also lowered). That worked for several years with the occasional slice of toast at the weekend. I have to be much stricter now as for some reason my insulin production has reduced after being type II diabetic for 23 years and just on metformin for 5 years.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Dpaterson9

Using a meter and measuring your carbs is the key. Everyone finds that their level of tolerance to carbs differs. I went really low carb at first and still usually have less than 10 grams a day. Yesterday I have 2 brownies for a total of 10 carbs so about 15 carbs all up for the day. I could probably tolerate a few more carbs but trying to reduce the in sullen resistance as qui wkly as possible- a lot older than you so less time to waste lol.

Start calculating the carbs in each meal and the rise and you will be able to gauge your tolerance. I find it mentally easier to mostly have food with no or very low carbs.

Good luck.

M

Member496333

There's a whole heap of carbohydrate in there. Whether or not that matters to you is a personal thing and also depends greatly on what type of diabetes you have. Pasta and bread are especially problematic for most type 2, and not very nutritionally complete. It would be easier to take a glucose tablet instead.