Night time highs!!

Ovi

Hello!

I recently started using Levemir after 6 years on Lantus(I'm following Dr Bernstein's advice with my diabetes) and ever since i swapped my basals i get high blood sugars during the night and in the morning as well. As far as I know there's not a huge difference between them so can anyone help me with an opinion please? I take my bed time dose at 10pm and morning dose between 6-7 am( it works better around the dawn effect).

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Ovi,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I hope you don't mind if I piggy-back on this thread, as I am in a very similar boat.
I was also on Lantus for many years, and switched to Levemir a few months ago, and am still struggling with sugars rising from around 4/5am so I wake up high. (monitoring with the Libre)

I've always battled a bit with dawn phenomenon, but when I was on Lantus, I had managed to get it fairly under control - it would only start rising quite sharply after around 7 hours of sleep, and if I injected as soon as I woke it didn't peak too high. I was splitting my Lantus into 2 equal doses at 12 hour intervals (usually 8am/8pm).

Now on Levemir, I'm not sure it is actually dawn phenomenon, as it is an earlier and steadier rise. I've also been experimenting with the timing - pushing the evening one later and the morning one earlier (around 930pm/8am), but don't seem to have nailed it yet. So far I'm still keeping both doses equal. I tend to drop a bit for the first half of the night, so don't think I could up the night-time dose much, unless I also had some slow acting carbs as a snack before bed.
I usually eat dinner around 8pm and sleep around midnight. Currently on a medium carb diet. I have done stretches of low-carb in the past (when still on Lantus), and it did seem to help with the morning rise (I guess just less glycogen there to release).

Ovi

Hi Ovi,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I hope you don't mind if I piggy-back on this thread, as I am in a very similar boat.
I was also on Lantus for many years, and switched to Levemir a few months ago, and am still struggling with sugars rising from around 4/5am so I wake up high. (monitoring with the Libre)

I've always battled a bit with dawn phenomenon, but when I was on Lantus, I had managed to get it fairly under control - it would only start rising quite sharply after around 7 hours of sleep, and if I injected as soon as I woke it didn't peak too high. I was splitting my Lantus into 2 equal doses at 12 hour intervals (usually 8am/8pm).

Now on Levemir, I'm not sure it is actually dawn phenomenon, as it is an earlier and steadier rise. I've also been experimenting with the timing - pushing the evening one later and the morning one earlier (around 930pm/8am), but don't seem to have nailed it yet. So far I'm still keeping both doses equal. I tend to drop a bit for the first half of the night, so don't think I could up the night-time dose much, unless I also had some slow acting carbs as a snack before bed.
I usually eat dinner around 8pm and sleep around midnight. Currently on a medium carb diet. I have done stretches of low-carb in the past (when still on Lantus), and it did seem to help with the morning rise (I guess just less glycogen there to release).
Well the thing is I'm on a low carb high fat diet wich is another reason for my bg to be at normal level wich they're not atm. I used to be a very active person(strength workouts 5 times/week) until we had to go in isolation and atm I'm not doing anything apart from a walk in park. I'll just keep basal testing in the next weeks until I get to the proper dose.

Bishop

Hello Guys
I am in the same boat. I used to use Lantus and Novo Rapid and changed to Levemir. I followed Dr Berstein as well, came across him years ago and learned and experienced a lot on myself.
What I have seen so far on myself.
Lantus was much stronger and more potent than Levemir, but this didn't come as a surprise, I read a lot about it before and it was expected.
For me, I just started from a number with Levemir and increased the dosage slowly every 2 days until I got the expected results.
I also realized that Levemir fades out around afternoon time so I came out with another small dosage around 15:30. This helps me to keep my BS ok in the evenings.
If you have more questions please ask, I am more than happy to help you guys if I can.
Good luck!

Reactions: Ovi

Ovi

Hello Guys
I am in the same boat. I used to use Lantus and Novo Rapid and changed to Levemir. I followed Dr Berstein as well, came across him years ago and learned and experienced a lot on myself.
What I have seen so far on myself.
Lantus was much stronger and more potent than Levemir, but this didn't come as a surprise, I read a lot about it before and it was expected.
For me, I just started from a number with Levemir and increased the dosage slowly every 2 days until I got the expected results.
I also realized that Levemir fades out around afternoon time so I came out with another small dosage around 15:30. This helps me to keep my BS ok in the evenings.
If you have more questions please ask, I am more than happy to help you guys if I can.
Good luck!
I have to admit I didn't know lantus was stronger than levemir until I swapped them even though on their description it says the same thing but anyway I have to work with Levemir right now. Only thing that annoys me is that I have to use a higher dose of Levemir.