Gestational Diabetes/hba1c/prediabetes

Ciara86

Hi all i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes but my main concern is that it is pre-diabetes/type 2 following this. Am 35 weeks pregnant and on metformin and insulin and feel more than likely will have a diagnosis of diabetes after ogtt after i hive birth, what were u guys hba1c before and on being told prediabetes?? In mmol we dont work in %really.

Reactions: hazelzac

JoycieW

Hi all i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes but my main concern is that it is pre-diabetes/type 2 following this. Am 35 weeks pregnant and on metformin and insulin and feel more than likely will have a diagnosis of diabetes after ogtt after i hive birth, what were u guys hba1c before and on being told prediabetes?? In mmol we dont work in %really.
I had gestational diabetes at age 31 which went away after the birth. I was diagnosed with T2D at age 51. If I had understood the disease and known about a low carb diet then I think the gestational diabetes would have been a warning, I would have changed my diet and I would never have developed T2D. I hope all goes well for you and your new baby! Is this your first child?

Ciara86

I had gestational diabetes at age 31 which went away after the birth. I was diagnosed with T2D at age 51. If I had understood the disease and known about a low carb diet then I think the gestational diabetes would have been a warning, I would have changed my diet and I would never have developed T2D. I hope all goes well for you and your new baby! Is this your first child?

Thanks so much for sharing joycie- how did u then get diagnosed with it? It is my first baby i am sooo nervous about size and complications as measuring so big and afraid for birth xx

JoycieW

Thanks so much for sharing joycie- how did u then get diagnosed with it? It is my first baby i am sooo nervous about size and complications as measuring so big and afraid for birth xx
My baby was big but also early, so have your bags packed! It was also a C-section. I went on to have another baby and I was very strict with my diet - but not low carb. Second time around no diabetes, natural delivery and full term but still a big boy. Try to relax and enjoy the experience, if you can. I would look into low carb after you have recovered from the birth and when things have settled down. Please seek medical advice as they will need to take your medication into account. Wishing you all the best! Motherhood is wonderful!

Reactions: Ciara86

Ronnie_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Ronnie_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly the same for me ☹️
Completely untreated gestational diabetes with first pregnancy and now diabetic.
I manage mine with nighttime insulin and a keto diet.
Has anyone visited the diabetes.org.uk website? Just staggering!

Reactions: Ciara86 and JoycieW

Ciara86

Yeah i am on metformin tablets an insulin also an this week my morning readings keep going up ton5.5-5.7. Really worrying bout effects metformin an insulin will have on my baby. Hba1c done two weeks ago said 33 but have really struggled this week and had biscuits or chocolate of some sort most evenings. Really struggling

Reactions: hazelzac

potty pet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, I was diabetic with my last pregnancy ( which was twins) 25 years ago. In those days they only gave insulin and diet. I had a normal delivery for both babies ....it was my 4th and 5 th baby.
I am now 59 years old , I think I am prediabetic but have never been diagnosed with it. I do my blood sugar rugarly nand have always tried to watch my diet by eating as low carb as I can. I have always kept vey active ie dog walking, gym , swimming etc.
If your diabetes is controlled then you should not have too big a baby, regular scans will be done to monitor that, don’t worry the metformin and insulin will not harm your baby. Just try and keep to a healthy diet and ask the midwives at the diabetic clinic for advice. Good luck

KirstyRobbie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello!

I just had my 2nd baby 6 weeks ago. I was told I may have type 2 diabetes following a annual hba1c test in January whilst finding out I was pregnant again. I had it I my first pregnancy gestational treated with insulin and metformin. This time it was insulin, I was induced both times, first labour was quick he was 6lb7oz this pregnancy was more traumatic ( but not because of diabetes) her cord was wrapped around her neck. I was given metformin to take after birth but I had a allergic reaction. My Most recent hba1c today was 43. So the nurse suggested once I’ve settled down and given my body a break in a bout 6 months to go back for another test and try and eat low carb and light exercise. I think as others suggest try and do low carb after your baby if you are bottle feeding, but if you are breast feeding you will need carbs and the extra calories, so try not to stress too much. Just be as healthy as possible not too many processed foods, and eat everything in moderation. Then in a few months time you can get back on track. Believe me your motivation will be your child as you will want to be as healthy as possible for them. Xxx

KirstyRobbie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello!

I just had my 2nd baby 6 weeks ago. I was told I may have type 2 diabetes following a annual hba1c test in January whilst finding out I was pregnant again. I had it I my first pregnancy gestational treated with insulin and metformin. This time it was insulin, I was induced both times, first labour was quick he was 6lb7oz this pregnancy was more traumatic ( but not because of diabetes) her cord was wrapped around her neck. I was given metformin to take after birth but I had a allergic reaction. My Most recent hba1c today was 43. So the nurse suggested once I’ve settled down and given my body a break in a bout 6 months to go back for another test and try and eat low carb and light exercise. I think as others suggest try and do low carb after your baby if you are bottle feeding, but if you are breast feeding you will need carbs and the extra calories, so try not to stress too much. Just be as healthy as possible not too many processed foods, and eat everything in moderation. Then in a few months time you can get back on track. Believe me your motivation will be your child as you will want to be as healthy as possible for them. Xxx

himma1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I realize this thread has been inactive for a while but wanted to post a response as I am in the same boat. First pregnancy, normal hba1c in first trimester but was diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks due to failing OGTT. Failed OGTT again 6 weeks post partum and was told I am prediabetic even though my levels at 2HR mark were in the diabetic range. Hba1c was normal as was fasting glucose.

Curious if you were diagnosed based on OGTT post pregnancy or was it a combination of tests? It's quite a shocker given no family history of Type 2 or GD and BMI has always been normal.

How has this diagnosis changed your lifestyle and the day to day as a new mum? Xxx

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the UK a diagnosis is made on the basis of the Hba1c rather than the glucose tolerance test. A level above 41 is prediabetic, above 47 is diabetic.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had gestational diabetes when I was fit and young, out of the blue picked up at first blood test. I was diet controlled. After the baby was born my levels where normal again and they’d test every year hba1c to see. I had gestational again with my second pregnancy but later on, and needed insulin. They did growth scans and for both babies told me they where bigger than they actually where at birth, so try not to let that worry you. I had a planned c section for my second and recovery was great. They tested my blood sugars and the babies, I asked for that before leaving hospital. About 2 years later I’d say I had an hba1c as prediabetes level, this com0etely shocked me, as I thought I’d never have diabetes again, as it had gone after birth. I tried and tried but my numbers went up. I was the told type 2, as I think this is standard with gp. I knew this wasn’t right and over the next 2 years and trying every med they finally referred me and consultant ran anti gad and cpeptide and I’m late onset type 1. About 2 months ago I went on to insulin. I think sometimes you just don’t know how your diabetes story is going to go. Focus on the now and then as each change comes about try and deal with it as best you can. I think you have a pre disposition if you’ve had gestational. A nurse said to me once, that a very high percentage go on to get diabetes again.
When I was pregnant 10 years ago it was blood test, urine and then the glucose tolerance test. Then 5 years ago it was hba1c, which consultant had said was at 44 before pregnancy. Then afterwards each year was hba1c. Which they used to say prediabetic and type 2.