Newly diagnosed

Starstruck111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I am really new to all this.
I would say I am a healthy 34 year old female weighing app 8stone (used to weigh between 8 and half and 9 and half stone) I have a very carb based diet and do have a sweet tooth. I did not get gestational diabetes. There is no family history of either types.

I decided to test my blood glucose as I had lost a noticeable bit of weight and was waking thirsty and desperate for the toilet. My initiative fasting blood reading was 19.1mmol rising to 25.9mmol after eating. After seeing the nurse she prescribed me Gliclazide 40mg per day. The day after my initial bloods came back at 225mg/dl. She doubled my medication.

I have switched my diet drastically. Limiting carbs and eating a lot more veg and protein however the lowest reading I have had is 14. This is first thing in a morning.

I don’t fit the bill for either type and I’ve just been told to wait for my antibody test to come back. This was a week ago. I live alone with my 9yr old son and don’t seem to be able to bring my levels down. Am I expecting too much too soon or is it likely I could be type 1 rather than type 2????

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum.
As your nurse says, you will need to wait for the test results. T1 and T2 are very different. Keep lowering the carbs and keep testing.
Sending you a big hug.

Reactions: Starstruck111

Aditya Singh

Talk to your doctor they will diagnos that which type of diabetes do you have..don't worry we are worriers....just take precautions and you can easily cure your diabetes..and welcome you to the forum..

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I would be careful about lowering the carbs too drastically at this stage as you haven't even been diagnosed yet. As part of the overall tests (that can go on for weeks) they also rely on how your body reacts 'normally' to carbs on your normal diet, so by reducing them massively at this stage may tell them the wrong story, especially if the other tests they have done come back inconclusive. That could take them longer to diagnose type 1 (if it is that) and that could end up making you ill, I was similar pre definitive diagnosis, I panicked and rushed to lower carbs, my levels went down into the high single figures so they um'd and ah'd and whilst they were doing that my levels suddenly shot up, I had ketones and was rushed into hospital with the onset of DKA. Apart from that, you are also on a drug that can cause hypos (I believe) so to keep lowering the carbs may cause you to hypo. Don't do this until you have discussed with your medical team. It is hard at this early stage, but your readings are high, have they given you the equipment to test for ketones? I would NOT sit back waiting for contact from the Nurse if your levels remain this high, get hold of them asap and discuss. xx

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Talk to your doctor they will diagnos that which type of diabetes do you have..don't worry we are worriers....just take precautions and you can easily cure your diabetes..and welcome you to the forum..

I don't think so, what makes you say that?

Starstruck111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank u. I rang the nurse yesterday and she just increased the meds. I naturally feel hungry all the time because I am so used to getting my energy from the carbs I usually eat. I’m trying to keep them down but no matter how little I eat or how many good foods I eat they stay in the mid-late teens. She advised me to adjust my diet and to be honest I’m always hungry and I’m not a greedy person usually. My lunch today was literally greens and meat and cheese yet my readings have just been in the late teens. Same as they were before I ate lunch. It’s just frustrating because of Covid the nurse can only telephone assess. She did say not to deprive myself as we will know more in a weeks time. Thank u for replying. I’ve never had to worry about anything like this and think that’s prob not helping xx

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She is newly diagnosed she need a doctor n prescription too...and better education to manage diabetes..

I am on about this bit, 'just take precautions and you can easily cure your diabetes?'

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They tested my ketones last week and it was negative so that was good but i haven’t been given a kit for that x

Hi there, that's good but I'm afraid that doesn't mean they are negative now. Ketones can come on at ANY time. Without wishing to alarm you (as you are probably stressed right now) please read up on ketones and let your Doctor know, not just the nurse who in my opinion is taking it too lightly. You may get a few replies so if you want to reply to a specific one just add a '@' in front of the person's user name and they will get alerted to it, ie, @Starstruck111 xx

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. From what you say a diagnosis of T1 (LADA) is possible and if so it's not curable and neither is T2 but T2 can often be managed by low-carbs and simple meds. You are having antibody tests which is good but note that sometimes these can be negative as viruses etc can cause LADA so bear this in mind. A C-peptide test is just as important as it measures the actual level of insulin you are producing. As others have said, Gliclazide can cause hypos but your dosage is quite low but be prepared to have the dosage reduced if lower carbs move you nearer to a hypo. I was on 320mg Gliclazide per day before insulin and still going into the 20s so 40mg isn't a high risk.

Starstruck111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Everything is just so new to me. It’s nice to hear so many replies from people that are actually in similar situations. I think when I get my results next week I will know more and until then it’s just a waiting game. It just seems like forever away. The only time bu sugars are lower is when I’ve eaten nothing but veg and meat so not sure if this is normal or not. I crave carbs all the time and I don’t want to just “blow out” i could easily destroy a packet of biscuits but now I feel guilty if I have one. Sorry but what is a c peptide test?

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Hi. I am really new to all this.
I would say I am a healthy 34 year old female weighing app 8stone (used to weigh between 8 and half and 9 and half stone) I have a very carb based diet and do have a sweet tooth. I did not get gestational diabetes. There is no family history of either types.

I decided to test my blood glucose as I had lost a noticeable bit of weight and was waking thirsty and desperate for the toilet. My initiative fasting blood reading was 19.1mmol rising to 25.9mmol after eating. After seeing the nurse she prescribed me Gliclazide 40mg per day. The day after my initial bloods came back at 225mg/dl. She doubled my medication.

I have switched my diet drastically. Limiting carbs and eating a lot more veg and protein however the lowest reading I have had is 14. This is first thing in a morning.

I don’t fit the bill for either type and I’ve just been told to wait for my antibody test to come back. This was a week ago. I live alone with my 9yr old son and don’t seem to be able to bring my levels down. Am I expecting too much too soon or is it likely I could be type 1 rather than type 2????

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
As you put it "Am I expecting too much too soon ". First thing to do: keep dietary glucose (carbs) to a minimum. Second: give your body time to re-adapt and heal with the appropriate diet. There is no unique (standard) appropriate diet; it is the one that helps you regain good health. That's why you need to do a lot of experimenting to find the macro-nutrients that help you manage your diabetes, 1 or 2, well. Wishing you good luck.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everything is just so new to me. It’s nice to hear so many replies from people that are actually in similar situations. I think when I get my results next week I will know more and until then it’s just a waiting game. It just seems like forever away. The only time bu sugars are lower is when I’ve eaten nothing but veg and meat so not sure if this is normal or not. I crave carbs all the time and I don’t want to just “blow out” i could easily destroy a packet of biscuits but now I feel guilty if I have one. Sorry but what is a c peptide test?

Hi Starstruck, you may find that what your body is craving is actually energy (ie from 'sugar'). When your glucose (sugar) levels are high it tends to mean your body is not processing them properly (possibly a lack of insulin given the circs or insulin that can't get through) and so the energy from those carbs is not getting into your system to be used as energy so your body is thinking 'feed me, feed me' . This happened to me before diagnosis, I absolutely CRAVED something sweet and started to guzzle diet pop because it was the only thing that would quench my thirst (briefly). As for what I was eating, it simply was not able to be converted into energy so I was tired ALL the time and hungry all the time. The very first time they injected insulin and wham, it was like waking up. A C Peptide test helps them to measure how much insulin you are still producing as it is created at the same time as insulin but hangs around longer than insulin so it's easier to measure, (not very scientific but you get the drift). x

Last edited:

mouseee

If you are lowering carbs at the moment until you get diagnosis remember you can have more fat! The low carb high(er) fat bit. So keep the fat on the bacon, eat double cheese for example it will help keep you fuller and not effect blood sugars generally.