Blood sugars suddenly awful

RachelN76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I haven't been around for a while, but I've been pootling along on Metformin 500mg TDS and gliclazide 80mg OD, and all was good. Occasional reading of 10-12 if i ate something particularly naughty, but generally OK.

Now suddenly, I've got fasting readings of about 16-19, and post meals of about 20-24. Nothing else has changed. Latest HbA1C was about 60 - but that probably only reflects about 2-4 of these high readings.

Theyve increased my gliclazide. No difference.
Spoken to doctors and nurse again today - added in pioglitazone (or whatever it is), and gliclazide now up to max levels.

What the heck is going on?

I wouldn't be as bothered, but my work (I'm a research nurse on the COVID wards) has now decided that I meet a new level in their stratification thingy, and have to stay at home until BMs are a bit more reasonable.

Diet hasn't changed. It could be a LOT better than it is, but pretty much as soon as i put food in my mouth, that's it, it's over 20. The only decent reading I've had in the last month or so was when I fasted for 24 hours (not deliberately - I just didn't get chance to eat all day!), and then I managed to get a 9.7

Any ideas very welcome. But I'm veggie and have dodgy cholesterol, so high protein, high fat is out.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The stress is probably a significant factor. Hugs.

Reactions: ert

RachelN76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did think it might be stress, but I don't really feel all that stressed outwardly (but I probably am, I'm just in denial!), and I wouldn't have thought it would make such a massive difference. But as I can't think of anything else, I think that probably is the most likely option.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sounds like possible LADA to me. The lack of response to increased Gliclazide is a pointer (it was for me). Try to get your GP to do a GAD and C-peptide test for T1/LADA. Continue to monitor your BS and call 111 or go to A&E if your sugars stay in the 20s or move to the 30s. Have plenty of water and keep the carbs down. The cause could be the Corona virus of course. BTW Pioglitazone does have occasional nasty side effects. Have a look at possible side effects on the leaflet or Google it. It can work well and was very popular for diabetes.

Max68

I think stress must play a massive part. My HBA1C was stable for two and half years around the 48 mark then last year in 6 months my mum went into care and I started a new job. Getting up bright and early and exercise in the job I was convinced it would have been even better but in December it had jumped 10 points in 6 months to 58! Go figure! Lord knows what it would be now!!!

RachelN76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I will mention LADA when I speak to them. Or when we are done with all this and things get a bit more back to normal.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
But I'm veggie and have dodgy cholesterol, so high protein, high fat is out.

Can you tell me why no high protein or high fat? Is this thinking due to your nurse training or something your doctor or the dieticians have said? Many of us on here found that low carb with increased real fats and normal protein actually improved our cholesterol.

RachelN76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you tell me why no high protein or high fat? Is this thinking due to your nurse training or something your doctor or the dieticians have said? Many of us on here found that low carb with increased real fats and normal protein actually improved our cholesterol.

My cholesterol is a bit (actually a lot) high, so I don't really want the added fats.
But I'm more than willing to be proved wrong on that! Have other people with high cholesterol tried the high fat thing and not found that it made it worse.

I did try it when I was first diagnosed (and had a normal cholesterol), but the next time it was checked, my cholesterol was through the roof so I decided it probably wasn't the best idea.

I also find it difficult to get a variety of stuff to eat without eating meat. I like tofu, but there's only so much of that a girl can take! I eat a lot of pulses, but I think they're generally too high in carbs for the high protein/high fat thing.

But definitely open to any and all suggestions.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol is a bit (actually a lot) high, so I don't really want the added fats.
But I'm more than willing to be proved wrong on that! Have other people with high cholesterol tried the high fat thing and not found that it made it worse.

I did try it when I was first diagnosed (and had a normal cholesterol), but the next time it was checked, my cholesterol was through the roof so I decided it probably wasn't the best idea.

I also find it difficult to get a variety of stuff to eat without eating meat. I like tofu, but there's only so much of that a girl can take! I eat a lot of pulses, but I think they're generally too high in carbs for the high protein/high fat thing.

Err most of us type 2 that have done LCHF find out cholesterol improves (ratios mind you not necessarily meaningless totals) and many of us do enough research to not be worried about it. Be aware that weight loss by any method can temporarily raise levels as fats leave the body. Fasting does make a difference to testing too, despite cost cutting And compliance measures to ditch the requirements to do so.

Take a look at this thread and the links within it and you’ll learn more than nursing college taught you I promise https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

Also I have no idea what your figures are but these calculators make more sense of breakdowns than crude totals ever will.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I eat bacon daily (I know, not an option for you, but it illustrates the point on fats), and my cholesterol is just fine now. Haven't touched a statin in well over 3 years. Mind you, i was doing low fat eating when my cholesterol was high, I was morbidly obese, had non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and whatnot. Once I cut the carbs and upped the fats, it all just went *poof*. Pulses are a bit high in carbs, depending on which you're trying. There's a whole vegetarian section on the forum that might help with alternatives, because yeah, all tofu all the time might get a bit bland and all. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/ might help. Also, https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables that might help make better choices. Cheeses, olives/olive oil, tempeh, eggs, full fat greek yoghurt, stuff like that might be reintroduced into your diet?

There's a bunch of things that can raise your BS, from stress, to illness (Hopefully not the dreaded C), to maybe being initially misdiagnosed... If you suspect LADA, get GAD and C-Peptide tests, to make sure one way or another, once you can again.

Good luck!

Maleth