Prediabetes "High" fasting levels, why and what to do now?

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning,

I'm a prediabetic (sort of) and manage my blood sugar levels by adjusting my diet an exercise.
Diet: vegetarian, almost vegan, lots of low carb soy yoghurt, nutbutters, nuts and veggies plus berries. Some beans, some cheese. No added sugar, no grains, no potatoes, no pasta, no bread.

My latest HbA1C: 5.0
So far, so good.
Due to the global pandemic I'm at home and due to another, non-diabetic-illness, I cannot work out at home or go outside at the moment. So no exercise.
I thought, this would be a perfect time to check my blood sugar levels systematically, as I now have a very structured and almost identical daily routine.

This is my system:

1. Fasting blood sugar before first bite of breakfast
2. One hour after first bite of breakfast
3. Two hours after first bite of breakfast
4. Before first bite of lunch
5. One hour after first bite of lunch
6. Two hours after first bite of lunch
7. Before first bite of dinner
8. One hour after first bite of dinner
9. Two hours after first bite of dinner
+ additional tests if something is out of the ordinary

Now I noticed, that I have abnormally high fasting levels. Abnormally high for me, I might add.
My median is around 100 mg/dl.
I also never stray far away from that, as long as I eat my adjustet diet.
My highest blood sugar level was 139 md/dl after two hours of breakfast.
With one exception.

Yesterday at dinner I tested my reaction to pasta. So I ate 150g (measured dry) white pasta with a lovely tomato salad.
Before dinner: 101 mg/dl
One hour after dinner: 129 mg/dl
Two hours after dinner: 169 mg/dl
I wanted to know how long it took to get down under 140 mg/dl so I tested two times more.
Three hours after dinner: 149 mg/dl
Four hours after dinner: 136 mg/dl

This morning I had a fasting blood sugar of 102 mg/dl. So back to normal, I'd say.

I calculated my HbA1c from all of this and got 5.8. Whenever I get tested at my doctor, I have a fasting blood sugar of around 75 to 85 mg/dl and my HbA1c is a lot lower.

So my questions are:
1. Could my high fasting blood sugar be connected to me not being able to work out?
2. Is it ok to have quiet a low range of blood sugar levels when they are between 100 and 130 mg/dl or would it be better, if they dropped lower in the mornings?
3. Are high levels like the one after pasta ok from time to time? I eat carbs/sugar around 25 days per year. I walk them off at around 14 of them, so after two hours i usually am not above 140 mg/dl on those 14 days. Do these days have a negative impact on my overall health or are they ok?

Thanks so much for your information and to anyone who read through my ramblings.
I'm really grateful for this forum, it helped me not to feel alone with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aditya Singh

Aditya Singh

Good Morning,

I'm a prediabetic (sort of) and manage my blood sugar levels by adjusting my diet an exercise.
Diet: vegetarian, almost vegan, lots of low carb soy yoghurt, nutbutters, nuts and veggies plus berries. Some beans, some cheese. No added sugar, no grains, no potatoes, no pasta, no bread.

So far, so good.
Due to the global pandemic I'm at home and due to another, non-diabetic-illness, I cannot work out at home or go outside at the moment. So no exercise.
I thought, this would be a perfect time to check my blood sugar levels systematically, as I now have a very structured and almost identical daily routine.

This is my system:

1. Fasting blood sugar
2. One hour after breakfast
3. Two hours after breakfast
4. Before lunch
5. One hour after lunch
6. Two hours after lunch
7. Before dinner
8. One hour after dinner
9. Two hours after dinner

Now I noticed, that I have abnormally high fasting levels. Abnormally high for me, I might add.
With one exception.

Yesterday at dinner I tested my reaction to pasta. So I ate 150g (measured dry) white pasta with a lovely tomato salad.
I wanted to know how long it took to get down under 140 mg/dl so I tested two times more.

This morning I had a fasting blood sugar of 102 mg/dl. So back to normal, I'd say.

I calculated my HbA1c from all of this and got 5.8. Whenever I get tested at my doctor, I have a fasting blood sugar of around 75 to 85 mg/dl and my HbA1c is a lot lower.

So my questions are:
1. Could my high fasting blood sugar be connected to me not being able to work out?
2. Is it ok to have quiet a low range of blood sugar levels when they are between 100 and 130 mg/dl or would it be better, if they dropped lower in the mornings?
3. Are high levels like the one after pasta ok from time to time? I eat carbs/sugar around 25 days per year. I walk them off at around 14 of them, so after two hours i usually am not above 140 mg/dl on those 14 days. Do these days have a negative impact on my overall health or are they ok?

Thanks so much for your information and to anyone who read through my ramblings.
Definitely if you stayed at home due to lockdown it will cause lots of up and down in your blood sugar just because of lack of movement and exercise as I experienced. So that you can prefer yoga at home and little walking and use stairs...

Aditya Singh

Good Morning,

So far, so good.

This is my system:

1. Fasting blood sugar
2. One hour after breakfast
3. Two hours after breakfast
4. Before lunch
5. One hour after lunch
6. Two hours after lunch
7. Before dinner
8. One hour after dinner
9. Two hours after dinner

With one exception.

So my questions are:

According to me you are not at high side....your blood sugar are in nomal range...and there will be no harmful side effect on your body..

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply!

So that you can prefer yoga at home and little walking and use stairs...

I cannot twist or put pressure on my feet, ankles, wrists and hands. So anything other than just slowly walking through our flat is, annoyingly so, a no go at the moment.
I do some exercises for my back but nothing that could have a positive impact on my blood sugar levels.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The numbers would be more informative if you test before you eat and again 2 hours after the first bite. You are looking for a rise of no more than 2mmol or 36 mg.

High fasting bg is probably due to the dawn phenomenon and is the last number to come down.

Reactions: Mathilda Grace
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your replies!

The numbers would be more informative if you test before you eat and again 2 hours after the first bite.

Oh, that is what I do.
It's what I meant with "...after...". It's "time" after the first bite of that meal.
Sorry, I didn't clarify it. I will edit my post.

High fasting bg is probably due to the dawn phenomenon and is the last number to come down.
Hi. Beware the Dawn phenomenon so don't worry about the breakfast testing.

Other than test in the middle of the night, is there a way to finde out if the dawn phenomenon applies here?
Is it even necessary to know that? Or should I just take it as a given?