Choosing to self isolate

Jordan288

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing really
Hi i have been isolating from work etc and venturing out from when we were first told now it seems we have been put into a lower high risk catagory stating that we should follow social distancing rules etc, my gp is only now getting around to doing a sick note for me but its classed as choosing to self isolate and can still work etc anyone else choosing to stay at home if so can you be penalised for it, its all abit unclear , work is pretty useless on this and my gp rushed me off the phone.
Thanks

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
my gp is only now getting around to doing a sick note for me but its classed as choosing to self isolate and can still work etc anyone else choosing to stay at home if so can you be penalised for it, its all abit unclear , work is pretty useless on this

You'll need to talk to your work about it, diabetics are not being told they must self-isolate (unless they have other things that qualify them for that, though some with high HbA1cs are being told to self-isolate) so it will have to be between you and the company you work for unfortunately, do they have an occupational health team or someone who deals with such things?

Jordan288

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing really
You'll need to talk to your work about it, diabetics are not being told they must self-isolate (unless they have other things that qualify them for that, though some with high HbA1cs are being told to self-isolate) so it will have to be between you and the company you work for unfortunately, do they have an occupational health team or someone who deals with such things?
Nope they dont they were quite late with bringing in social distancing measures and weren't all that supportive when i tried talking to them about it, its only now that ive been off for a few weeks they seem to be taking notice. My gp has said they will give me a note but as a kinda self declared note as for my hba1c isnt the best sitting at 77 last time currently still trying to improve

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope they dont they were quite late with bringing in social distancing measures and weren't all that supportive when i tried talking to them about it, its only now that ive been off for a few weeks they seem to be taking notice. My gp has said they will give me a note but as a kinda self declared note as for my hba1c isnt the best sitting at 77 last time currently still trying to improve

I have seen people on here reporting that an HbA1c of 77 or more puts you in the severe risk category, which requires shielding completely for 12 weeks. ie not leaving the house at all. However, your GP should have written to you about this. I suggest you speak to him again.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I have seen people on here reporting that an HbA1c of 77 or more puts you in the severe risk category, which requires shielding completely for 12 weeks. ie not leaving the house at all. However, your GP should have written to you about this. I suggest you speak to him again.

My go told me 79 I’m currently 76

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It will be up to your work, in my business if you dont come until work and your not on the government letter list (Diabetics are not on that list as a general rule)its classed as vaulentary absence. They are granting it but its unpaid.