Blurry Vision - Not Linked With Blood Sugar According To My Doctor?????

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I’ve been type 2 since 2014. Hba1c 7.9%. Within 6 months I had got it down to 5.4% by following low carb. My results since then have been stable. Since February I have been experiencing headaches and blurry vision a few times a week. I have tested my blood and it has been between 8.1 - 9.5 mmol and 12.1 on one occasion. I had a phone call from my GP as my review is due now, but due to covid19 they are doing reviews over the phone. I mentioned about my highs that I have been getting, they are high for me. I was told by my doctor that the headaches and blurry vision are not connected to my blood sugar and that I would only experience these symptoms if my blood sugar was in its 20’s or maybe 30? He told me to stop taking my blood sugar as they don’t take notice of them readings anyway.

Does anyone experience blurry vision or headaches when their blurry vision when their blood sugar is at the levels I have been getting or is it just me?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm. Can you change your doctor?

What are you eating? On the face of it, it sounds like too many carbs.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm. Can you change your doctor?

What are you eating? On the face of it, it sounds like too many carbs.

I am still following the same diet at before. I eat about 15-20 grams of carbs per meal and I don’t snack in between. The days I’ve had the higher readings, I’ve ate the same and not had high readings.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If we get a bug or infection it will raise our blood glucose. Stress will also do it and these are stressful times.

A few months ago I was put on steroids. I had massive numbers. Although my bloods are in a good place now, my eye sight was definitely affected. They are slowly improving but I certainly know about it if they get near to 7.

Do you know why you were seeing 9s and 12s?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I’ve been type 2 since 2014. Hba1c 7.9%. Within 6 months I had got it down to 5.4% by following low carb. My results since then have been stable. Since February I have been experiencing headaches and blurry vision a few times a week. I have tested my blood and it has been between 8.1 - 9.5 mmol and 12.1 on one occasion. I had a phone call from my GP as my review is due now, but due to covid19 they are doing reviews over the phone. I mentioned about my highs that I have been getting, they are high for me. I was told by my doctor that the headaches and blurry vision are not connected to my blood sugar and that I would only experience these symptoms if my blood sugar was in its 20’s or maybe 30? He told me to stop taking my blood sugar as they don’t take notice of them readings anyway.

Does anyone experience blurry vision or headaches when their blurry vision when their blood sugar is at the levels I have been getting or is it just me?

Hi @Eurobuff ,

Fluctuating BGs can cause blurry issues.

It's appreciated there's a lockdown. When did you last last have an eye screening?

We can't & shouldn't diagnose on the forum, however. My non D wife was getting what sounds like simalar symptoms to yours.
& she got a diagnosis for a quite common eye condition. Along with a prescription for it..

I'll tagg in @Dark Horse .

I wouldn't dissagree with @xfieldok 's assesment of your doctor. & stabilising your BGs won't do it any harm, whatever the cause..

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If we get a bug or infection it will raise our blood glucose. Stress will also do it and these are stressful times.

A few months ago I was put on steroids. I had massive numbers. Although my bloods are in a good place now, my eye sight was definitely affected. They are slowly improving but I certainly know about it if they get near to 7.

Do you know why you were seeing 9s and 12s?

I don’t know. I haven’t been eating sweets or doing anything any different. I am a creature of habit so eat the same things that I’ve always ate. This started about mid February so was before these coronavirus lockdown times. I was off work last week and my blood sugars have been ok last week though. I don’t think it’s stress related with my job though as I feel ok at work. The high readings are at home as well.

Dark Horse

This study found that there was no effect on vision at blood glucose levels up to 18 mmol/l. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2413123/

How long does the blurriness last? Are both eyes affected at the same time? When your vision is blurry, have you tried looking through a pinhole in a piece of card to see if your vision is better through the pinhole? Are you using any eye-drops or do you have dry eyes? When was your last diabetic eye screening and was the result abnormal?

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Eurobuff ,

Fluctuating BGs can cause blurry issues.

It's appreciated there's a lockdown. When did you last last have an eye screening?

We can't & shouldn't diagnose on the forum, however. My non D wife was getting what sounds like simalar symptoms to yours.
& she got a diagnosis for a quite common eye condition. Along with a prescription for it..

I'll tagg in @Dark Horse .

I wouldn't dissagree with @xfieldok 's assesment of your doctor. & stabilising your BGs won't do it any harm, whatever the cause..

My last screening was August and it was ok, but my blood sugars were ok then too. I went for an eye test in February which was about when my blood sugar was starting to rise. The optician said my eyes were fine though. My eyes weren’t blurry when I was having the test .

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This study found that there was no effect on vision at blood glucose levels up to 18 mmol/l. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2413123/

How long does the blurriness last? Are both eyes affected at the same time? When your vision is blurry, have you tried looking through a pinhole in a piece of card to see if your vision is better through the pinhole? Are you using any eye-drops or do you have dry eyes? When was your last diabetic eye screening and was the result abnormal?

The blurriness happens for 2 to 3 hours. When then blurriness goes my blood sugar is back to 5-6. I don’t use eye drops or have dry eyes. My last screening was in August, and it was fine. My blood sugar was ok then though. I haven’t heard of the pinhole test? But I will give it a go. What would the results mean?

Just a thought though, I do have astigmatism in my eyes, so I don’t know if my eyes would be more/less likely to be affected in a rise of blood sugar

Last edited:

Dark Horse

The blurriness happens for 2 to 3 hours. When then blurriness goes my blood sugar is back to 5-6. I don’t use eye drops or have dry eyes. My last screening was in August, and it was fine. My blood sugar was ok then though. I haven’t heard of the pinhole test? But I will give it a go. What would the results mean?

Just a thought though, I do have astigmatism in my eyes, so I don’t know if my eyes would be more/less likely to be affected in a rise of blood sugar
This might be helpful:- http://www.myopia.com.sg/testpinhole.htm

Reactions: Eurobuff

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Blurred vision can be due to higher levels due to diabetes
But can also happen for various other reasons

Reactions: Eurobuff

Maleth

Hi

Its normal for NON diabetics to have blurry vision after the age of 40, some times even before. i know a good number of people who wear glasses and do not have diabetes.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
mmm
tough one this but if i am low say about 4 /3.5/ my vision makes it difficult to read and his poss blurred as if i wake takes few mins to adjust
mind you i would not be able to tell this as my sight was saved in1986 by NHS MOORFIELDS with the mighty ARGON LASERS
KEEP SAFE 2 S OK AND 3 A CROWD K19
63 YEARS ON INSULIN VIC