Victoza

Pambo123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I've been on Victoza 3 weeks now and I've lost 7 lbs. I was on 0.6 for 1 week now on 1.2. I've experienced some nausea and have found I can't eat as large a meal as I would previously eaten however I can graze all day and these are the days I get nausea. I'm vegetarian and love cheese but find I can't tolerate much only a sprinkling of grated over anything. Can eat cottage cheese no problem but it's not the same.
My question is as a vegetarian how low should I go on a low carb diet? Don't really eat pasta, only have 1 slice bread per day, have potatoes in one form or another mainly jackets most days, have cereals for breakfast with semi skimmed milk or eggs, nuts and 2 pieces of fruit daily.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Pambo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know why you were put onto Victoza? It is normally only prescribed for those with quite excessive weight. As your diet is reasonably low-carb I wouldn't expect you to have been greatly overweight? If your weight reduction is bringing your BMI down you may want to discuss reducing Victoza in line with that and doing the usual T2 stuff i.e low-carb, Metformin etc. Victoza has various side effects such as the nausea. Any type of cheese should be OK to have. Check the cereals aren't loaded with sugar/honey and keep portion size sensible. Avoid tropical fruit due to the high sugars - berries are good.

Pambo123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My readings were 68% my weight was 13.6 and I'm 73 years old. Fairly fit walk around 8000 to 10000 steps per day. Work 2 days a week. Last 2 readings have been similar in mid 60's. Take metformin 2 x 500 sr and invocana 300. Test my blood at home now varies between 6 in morning up to 12 before bed. I now weigh 12.13.
Will keep to 3 meals a day no snacking see how that goes.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks for the reply. Are you based in the USA as readings in the 60s wouldn't be mmol readings from a finger prick; they could be HBA1C readings in mmol?. Your weight is coming into a good region so I would talk to the GP about stopping the Victoza shortly and relying on the Metformin, low-carb diet and one of the other drugs such as the invocana.

Pambo123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No I'm in uk. Readings are hb1ac.
Finger prick tested on accucheck mobile range from 6 in morning before breakfast to 10 to 13 before sleep.
Having a hb1ac test in 2 months time then I see doctor again or at least a phone consultation during lock down.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi. Can you let us know why you were put onto Victoza? It is normally only prescribed for those with quite excessive weight. As your diet is reasonably low-carb I wouldn't expect you to have been greatly overweight? If your weight reduction is bringing your BMI down you may want to discuss reducing Victoza in line with that and doing the usual T2 stuff i.e low-carb, Metformin etc. Victoza has various side effects such as the nausea. Any type of cheese should be OK to have. Check the cereals aren't loaded with sugar/honey and keep portion size sensible. Avoid tropical fruit due to the high sugars - berries are good.
I'm on victoza, not particularly overweight!!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’m new to this site,I started victors 0.6 on Thursday, no side effects as yet!
Hi and welcome. You may have seen my posts on this thread. Victoza can be very useful for a while to control BS when you have at least some excess weight as Victoza does help control weight as well as BS. I gather from previous posts for many it does have some side effects and once weight has come into a good region it's worth discussing with the GP to move to one of the more common approaches for T2 i.e. low-carb diet and possibly Metformin etc. So, in summary, see how it goes and I hope it works for you.

Pambo123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I’m new to this site,I started victors 0.6 on Thursday, no side effects as yet!
I have had nausea a few times but I've realised I get it if I over eat or when I had some pizza with extra cheese and once a Cadbury cream egg. I've also found it better not to eat after 7 ish and to take injection at 10 ish.
On the up side I've lost 7 lbs in 3 weeks without dieting strictly just cutting down.
Good luck
Pambo

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi, i just started Victoza today! How long does it take to kick in? Thanks :)

Pambo123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, i just started Victoza today! How long does it take to kick in? Thanks :)
Hi
I've been on Victoza 2 months now, no longer have any side effects and I lost 11lbs. I have put 2lbs back on mainly because I've been snacking too much. It does help with portion control on main meals but doesn't stop you snacking.
So you still need discipline. Haven't had another hb1ac test yet due end of month if it happens in current situation.
Good luck
Pam

Reactions: lcarter

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi
I've been on Victoza 2 months now, no longer have any side effects and I lost 11lbs. I have put 2lbs back on mainly because I've been snacking too much. It does help with portion control on main meals but doesn't stop you snacking.
So you still need discipline. Haven't had another hb1ac test yet due end of month if it happens in current situation.
Good luck
Pam
Thanks Pam. How long did it take to have an effect on your levels? I've not noticed anything but of course its day 1. Thanks, Lynsey

Pambo123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do test myself occasionally but the hb1ac test is the only result that counts. As I understand it, it will take a while for the victoza to work on your pancreas. Hope it goes well for you
Pam

Reactions: lcarter

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the hb1ac test is the only result that counts

Not really.. would you drive every day for three months and then look at the average speed on your car to check if you've been speeding?
Regular testing can demonstrate exactly how different foods are changing your blood sugar levels and is a great way of spotting what is not good to eat for you. Its a way to reduce medication and become diet controlled as many o us here have found.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Im on day two and the nausea and slightly reduced appetite has started. Still no difference to my levels though.

• Hug
Reactions: JohnEGreen

Jwnich

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Started Victoza 18 days ago some minor side effects, mainly nausea and headache. Currently taking 0.6mg for first 4 weeks before moving up to 1.2mg.
Started a calorie controlled diet 71 days ago - happy to see that I have lost 14lbs (was obese at 19.5st.) have managed to reduce my insulin by 35% again another positive step. No complaints so far.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Daisyooo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

I’m not sure which thread to post this on so sorry if not relevant, I’m a newbie here!

I’m nee here, 28 years old and been type 1 since I was 2 and a half.

I’m planning a pregnancy hopefully in 6 months.
My pre conception consultant wants me to try victoza for 12 weeks, ensuring I have 3 months of not using it before I try for a baby. To help bring down my AC1 down and lose weight (ideally need to lose around 9 pounds). I’ve read the risk of thyroid cancer and pancreatic cancer, but can’t find anything conclusive!! Does anyone have any info on this? I’m really worried and would love to know the actual risks compared to the benefits, and what your doctors said to you about this?
Thanks

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello!

I’m not sure which thread to post this on so sorry if not relevant, I’m a newbie here!

I’m nee here, 28 years old and been type 1 since I was 2 and a half.

I’m planning a pregnancy hopefully in 6 months.
My pre conception consultant wants me to try victoza for 12 weeks, ensuring I have 3 months of not using it before I try for a baby. To help bring down my AC1 down and lose weight (ideally need to lose around 9 pounds). I’ve read the risk of thyroid cancer and pancreatic cancer, but can’t find anything conclusive!! Does anyone have any info on this? I’m really worried and would love to know the actual risks compared to the benefits, and what your doctors said to you about this?
Thanks
the risk of thyroid cancer seems low, but we have had two forum member report a diagnosis soon after the initial dose. The FDA in USA is reporting several pancreatic cancers resulting from this med but UK has no reports. We have also seen a couple of members having DKA admissions to A&E possibly caused by this family of meds, but again UK has no info on this. Be cautious.

• Informative
Reactions: AloeSvea

Daisyooo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Thanks getting back to me! There’s worryingly not much info out there! I’m waiting for a response from my DSN on the risks so hopefully that will help.