Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read somewhere or is it here? That the Coronavirus might affect us more if our hba1c is high? Or something like that? What if your hba1c is high but your TIR is above 75%? I’m only asking because my hba1c did go up in January from 59 to 72. I don’t know about now because I don’t have any appointments in place because of the pandemic.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Morning all. Just popping in to say hi and to say I am still here.
My brother is one of the Covid19 survivors, he is still in hospital as the Drs are waiting for his O2 levels to stabilise.

Reactions: becca59 and Jaylee

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
MOOOOORNING! How are we all diabeeting today? Bloods running well, quite happy there :)

First day on the road was fabulous! Driving nanas (and grandads) over twisty Welsh mountain roads on a beautiful sunny day, my very first go at driving the ambulance was over a mountain road and into rush hour Cardiff. At the end of the shift my colleague said “you drove well today”. And then told me he was one of their driving instructors... Glad he hadn’t told me at the beginning! They told me on station I can’t do COVID patients because I have diabetes. So I’m crewed up with a cancer survivor because he can’t either... they’ve put anyone with an underlying health condition together to make up crews of people who can and can’t do COVID jobs. So after about an hour of feeling discriminated against, I’m actually feeling well looked after. I was going to insist that as I’ve cleared Occy Health I can do absolutely anything. But having thought about it for a bit, actually, I think I’ll not kick off. I’ll come across it soon enough, they’re only starting us off on patient transport, so why rush into danger. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. If things go the way they think they’ll go, I’ll be back responding to emergencies pretty soon. And just because I run non diabetic levels, doesn’t make me invincible. Being pragmatic here. And there’s PLENTY of work. Especially lates. People always want to do earlies so I’m very popular indeed with the rota planner. I’m working 1100-1900 today & tomorrow, which is the same hours husbeast works at the post office.

I read somewhere or is it here? That the Coronavirus might affect us more if our hba1c is high? Or something like that? What if your hba1c is high but your TIR is above 75%? I’m only asking because my hba1c did go up in January from 59 to 72. I don’t know about now because I don’t have any appointments in place because of the pandemic.
Morning Mei, not enough is really known, they can only go on stats gathered from patients so far. Long term high blood sugars affect every system of our bodies, as I know that you know - and the immune system and healing mechanisms are no exception. They are telling people with an HbA1c of over 79 to shield, so if you can make sure you’re well protected with PPE, it would be safer.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning! Very relieved here @LooperCat that you’re not on the frontline, yet. If I were one of the nanas, or husband were one of the grandudes, then it’d be good to be driven by you. Do you play music for the passengers as you all go over the mountains?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all. Just popping in to say hi and to say I am still here.
My brother is one of the Covid19 survivors, he is still in hospital as the Drs are waiting for his O2 levels to stabilise.

Interestingly my brother in law, treated for bone cancer came down with COVID 19.
Swab tested & taken to "Area 51" by a hazmat crew..
Then placed in a bed next to another patient from his cancer unit brought in that morning..
Miraculously, he came through it.
However, he can't get back to his room on the cancer rehabilitation unit due to them being in lockdown.
Thus undoing all the fine progression he made fighting cancer in the first place..

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Busy morning here for all kinds of reasons. Bg fine, nothing to add.

@Marie 2, sorry to hear that your dog has separation anxiety, that must be hard to live with. I don't think mine will, but I need to keep being away from her at times.

@porl69 good to see you back and with good news.

@LooperCat pragmatism wins every time for me. And of course there are no guarantees about anything right now, including the health of the people you're transporting. Stay safe.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really glad you're being well looked after @LooperCat. Well done on the great driving!! Glad you enjoyed today. Take care, and a huge thank you for all you and your colleagues, and key workers are doing to look after the rest of us.

Reactions: kev-w

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I unintentionally took a rather scenic route back to base along a tiny, single track mountain road. Oops :cat: And getting a wave from all the other emergency service drivers is very cool indeed, although waving and smiling at the police is taking some getting used to... :hilarious:

Second half of the shift and I’m attending while my crewmate drives. So I’m sat in the back while we go to the dialysis unit to collect our passengers and catching up on some messages.

Sadly we’ve got a virus proof screen in the trucks now, so I couldn’t share my impeccable taste in music with anyone. I think they’d like Ferocious Dog...

4F4D7430-67AB-472C-9028-8516E6D22314.jpeg

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Does anyone here us 1ners take kalms tablets to help stress or anxiety. I want to take these as a summer fix to enjoy being out in the garden to ease my phobia of bees and wasps. Just wasn’t sure if safe to take.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just finished episode 6 (Vicar of Dibley) with the church full of animals and it still works a charm for my mood!
So glad it works for you Antje, I think it was a brilliant programme and worth a rewatch as far as I'm concerned :)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, up on 6.3, happy with that. I had a brief chat to one of my neighbours over the road when we were out at 8 o'clock yesterday evening, banging our saucepans. We were talking about the importance of our pets right now; my dog's certainly getting stroked and cuddled a lot as the thing I miss most of all in this is simple human touch. If you live on your own and you're social distancing/isolating it's something you simply can't have. So I feel for all those people who miss out on that in ordingary times, let alone now, and I'm grateful it's something I can look forward to when this is over and that I have my (now very large) pup in the meantime.

Have a good day all and if you live with someone, enjoy a hug!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning :) 5.9 waking, had an 'odd' one cycling yesterday evening, bloods had risen to 8.5 after dinner and looked to be carrying on rising, 15 miles on the bike brought them down to 5.2 as I got home, but within minutes back up they started to climb, a correction dose cured me but using a miaomiao on top of the libre has given me some insights I've not seen before during exercise.

I managed to catch the egg man in his little egg van yesterday so have 3 dozen large eggs smiling at me from the larder :p

Reactions: Marie 2 and hh1