Removing Blood from Shirts

jameshallam

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to get spots of (dry) blood from shirts? Every so often when I inject at work, it starts to bleed (only a little bit) and these drops of blood then show on my shirts.

Normally washing doesn't seem to get the blood out.
I've tried googleing it but it only talks about removing fresh blood with cold water (hot water makes it set apparently)
I remember reading somewhere that Hydrogen Peroxide works well. Has anyone tried it - I would have though it would it would bleech the shirt at the same time.

Are there any commercially available stain remover that would do the job? I don't want to go to the supermarket and try a few as I imagine the choice is endless and I would probably spend a fair bit of money and have a lot of bottles in my cupboard before finding something that works!

Cheers all

leggott

My husband wears White shirts and I normally find that a slightly hotter wash works. I also add some washing soda / soda crystals which work quite well too.

RussG

I've had this a few times. Generally a low temp wash with some Vanish oxi action stain removing powder has worked for me. Failing that there's a Stain Devil for grease, fat and 'stains of a biological origin' that works well.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Vanish Oxy-action works well (it comes in two varieties, one for whites, another for coloureds). Sainsbury's do their own version... just as good, and a LOT cheaper! I expect other supermarkets do their own brands, too. Just mix a bit up with cold water, and apply to the stain before you wash.... you will see it just disappear. Can also be used as an additive alongside normal washing powder/liquid/tablets.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vanish does a sort of soap bar (I have had mine for years) you wet the stain with cold water and then rub on the vanish and sling in the wash as usual .It is good stuff even removes red wine from wool carpet :oops:
CAROL

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi James .
Try this soak shirts in COLD water over night in a bucket water will turn pink as it draws blood out.
Then wash as normal, with as the others says vanish stain remover if any linger after the cold water over night soaking. [ i pop bucket in the cold garage over night ] as the colder the better - it draws the blood out.
Was told this tip after a large bleed onto a pair of ice blue satin pajamas whilst I was in hospital and it DOES work... :D :D :D
They were my favorite pj's too !!!
Do let us know what works for you , its great to have feedback with these types of posts.
Anna.x :D

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Good old fashioned salt!! A cold soaking solution over night then a quick rinse before putting with other whites for a white wash in a bio powder then preferably followed by a line dry outside. . . QED

jameshallam

thanks everyone... I'll have a look in the supermarket tonight and try one of the products you've suggested.

If that doesn't work I'll try the cold water technique

I'll report when i get round to doing my washing!!

Cheers,
James

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please remember to remove shirt from body if soaking over night in cold water :lol:
CAROL

lauren_gee_x

Try Ace can be purchased from tesco usually about £1.50. I've used it to remove oil from clothes as well so im sure it would handle dried in blood :D xx

Chrisell

Hi there:
Slightly different stain. Has anyone encountered a yellow stain on shirts/blouses and pillowcases possibly from Metformin? Any answers would be very welcome.