Hba1c - 5.5 % - 37 mmol/mol )

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do I know if my insulin levels are high?
Unless you get a test (rare on nhs or do it privately) you won’t know directly. But improving bgl, improving symptoms typically associated with metabolic syndrome (blood pressure, central fat deposits, liver chemistry etc) and improved carb tolerance are indirect measures of better levels.

Insulin resistance is the underlying issue that causes high blood glucoses levels. We produce more and more insulin to combat the resistance, until we can’t balance the books anymore and then bgl rise as well and shows up in the tests we can get.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A matter of preference or perhaps worried to go into hypoglycaemia though this is very rare while sleeping because the body will compensate
You'd be pretty unusual as an unmedicated T2 to go hypoglycemic whilst sleeping.. nothing is impossible of course but...

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You'd be pretty unusual as an unmedicated T2 to go hypoglycemic whilst sleeping.. nothing is impossible of course but...
Don’t think it will happen. Just one of these weird and unreasonable as well as unfounded worries

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unless you get a test (rare on nhs or do it privately) you won’t know directly. But improving bgl, improving symptoms typically associated with metabolic syndrome (blood pressure, central fat deposits, liver chemistry etc) and improved carb tolerance are indirect measures of better levels.

Insulin resistance is the underlying issue that causes high blood glucoses levels. We produce more and more insulin to combat the resistance, until we can’t balance the books anymore and then bgl rise as well and shows up in the tests we can get.
Do we minimise Insulin resistanc by keeping glucose level within 4 to 5.5 v

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do we minimise Insulin resistanc by keeping glucose level within 4 to 5.5 v
I know that there’s no empirical science on this, but am I wrong to think that having a meal with the right ingredients for diabetes will not increase the glucose level by more than 3 points?
Eg if it’s 5.00 before eating, then it will be 8.00 at peak after eating?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I know that there’s no empirical science on this, but am I wrong to think that having a meal with the right ingredients for diabetes will not increase the glucose level by more than 3 points?

It shouldn't BUT it's not an exact science. The "right" food can be influenced by many other factors.

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It shouldn't BUT it's not an exact science. The "right" food can be influenced by many other factors.
Sorry. Please help my understanding. When you said It shouldn’t, what do you mean?
It shouldn’t go over 8 or it shouldn’t peak
Thanks for any clarification

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The rise should be beneath 2 (ideally) ... i.e. e.g. start at 5, end up at 7

But it ain't that easy

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It more usually said less than 2mmol at the 90-120min after starting the meal. The peak will often come before this, at around an hour or so but variable by individual and food combination as just two of the factors. The 2mmol is assessing your overall ability to not peak too high and come back down in a reasonable time frame. Additionally it is ideal if that post prandial figure is below 7.8mmol. But do remember even non diabetics can spike high or long occasionally as lots of things beyond food also effect bgl.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
thanks Mike. I am now under 2.5. If I makes an exception and eat carbs, it can shoot to over 3/4

It will go over 2 for many reasons, but the fewer the better. Sickness, anxiety, stress, food ... almost anything

A very dynamic condition, right down to the meal and time of day. Exercise for many raises the BSL. Me? Total reverse. Ya live and ya learn :)

jclaude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It will go over 2 for many reasons, but the fewer the better. Sickness, anxiety, stress, food ... almost anything

A very dynamic condition, right down to the meal and time of day. Exercise for many raises the BSL. Me? Total reverse. Ya live and ya learn :)
Thank you for sharing your insight