Covid 19 Elepant in the Room?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A Government food box meant for one of my shielding neighbours was mistakenly left on my doorstep last week. It was unmarked so I thought it was something I had ordered on Amazon so opened it. It containedrice, pasta, potatoes, cheap white sliced loaf, Fray Bentoes pies, baked beans, tinned fruit, and that was all I could identify without touching anything. I hate to be ultra critical but nothing there is nutritionall valuable.

Reactions: jjraak

Max68

Or even Elepant! ;)

Weight is an interesting one. Until arthritic hips forced me to retire I used to play football Saturdays and Sundays along with training and my weight was pretty much the same as it is now. I fluctuate between 12 and 13 stone for no apparent reason. My heaviest being 13.24 back in 2017 after a summer and autumn of salads and really watching my calories! Go figure. I'm currently around 12.4 and upon stopping playing football I was 12.8.

In fact it doesn't make sense :

July 15 HBA1C 64 WEIGHT 12.8
Dec 15 HBA1C 46 WEIGHT 13.2
Aug 16 HBA1C 46 WEIGHT 12.5
Jan 17 HBA1C 47 WEIGHT 13.24
Dec 20 HBA1C 58 WEIGHT 12.4

At 5 feet 6 I am meant to be around 10 stone. I haven't been 10 stone since I was about 14!!

Re weight in Covid19, I'd be quite interested too see how many of those who suffer from severe issues have sleep apnoea. After all if you were to struggle to breathe lying down normally if ill it would surely have a major impact. Interestingly on Dr John Campbells You Tube videos he mentioned that due to a shortage of ventilators CPAP machines were possibly going to be used and they would be used in severe apnoea anyway.

I'm no way an expert but I have seen some videos with Doctors questioning the use of ventilators in some cases. One Doctor suggested that rather than pneumonia patients were suffering from hypoxia similar to mountaineers at high altitude. He suggested that this was due to an issue with oxygen in the blood that in turn affected the lungs, rather than lungs being affected directly.

Last edited:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes Elephant - sorry for my typo.
IMO metabolic ill health is the root cause of getting fat and ill Malhotra's point was that we should:
Stay at Home, eat Real Food (not those Fray Bentos pies) and you will protect the NHS and save lives (possibly our own).
Bit of a 'heavy topic for a Friday evening but needs to be said.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's so hard to mend your metabolism once it has been broken. I have been trying for years and made a little headway but still have a long way to go.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's so hard to mend your metabolism once it has been broken. I have been trying for years and made a little headway but still have a long way to go.
Exactly. All the more reason for people to do as you/we have and at the very least do no further damage and reverse as much of it as they can. And the earlier people are given this measure and the earlier they listen the better success they have a chance of achieving. It won’t solve everything g for everyone but it’s got to help on a population level.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Elephant - sorry for my typo.
IMO metabolic ill health is the root cause of getting fat and ill Malhotra's point was that we should:
Stay at Home, eat Real Food (not those Fray Bentos pies) and you will protect the NHS and save lives (possibly our own).
Bit of a 'heavy topic for a Friday evening but needs to be said.

Nicole, if you would like the title typo fixed, just nudge a Mod. It's also fine to leave it, if you prefer.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
wow.
First time I have seen this info bandied about.

Public Health England have said now is the best time to quit smoking, citing research from China concluding that smokers were 14 times more likely to get severe disease after contracting COVID-19. (13)

Max68

wow.

Public Health England have said now is the best time to quit smoking, citing research from China concluding that smokers were 14 times more likely to get severe disease after contracting COVID-19. (13)

Headline.

Scientists discover critically ill patients are more likely to be smokers - but one Chinese study finds they are LESS likely to get the killer infection in the first place

Who knows!!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I hate to be ultra critical but nothing there is nutritionall valuable.

Better than starving if you're not diabetic. The same as starving if you are. Some years ago I was involved with a local food bank, picking up donations. One issue is that fresh veg and fruit is impossible to collect because it's only any good for a few days.

You and I may not be able to tolerate loads of carbs but non diabetics will be grateful. I hope the parcel got to it's destination.

How about this for an idea, design a food parcel for a type II diabetic. I'll start with tinned ratatouille, tinned tomatoes, tinned steweing steak.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A Government food box meant for one of my shielding neighbours was mistakenly left on my doorstep last week. It was unmarked so I thought it was something I had ordered on Amazon so opened it. It containedrice, pasta, potatoes, cheap white sliced loaf, Fray Bentoes pies, baked beans, tinned fruit, and that was all I could identify without touching anything. I hate to be ultra critical but nothing there is nutritionall valuable.
I hope your neighbour isn't coeliac or wheat intolerant.

M

Member496333

wow.

Possibly linked to nicotine being a key driver of atherosclerosis? I bet 10p we won’t see PHE telling people to quit pasta and vegetable oil as well :shifty:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what my shielding friend received in her free food box.

Tea bags, coffee, soap, body wash, toilet rolls.
Tinned soup, tomatoes, baked beans, corned beef, tuna, fruit, mushy peas.
Pasta, pasta source, Ready Brek, bread, apples, oranges, biscuits, carrots, potatoes.
And a few other things.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This is what my shielding friend received in her free food box.

Tea bags, coffee, soap, body wash, toilet rolls.
Tinned soup, tomatoes, baked beans, corned beef, tuna, fruit, mushy peas.
Pasta, pasta source, Ready Brek, bread, apples, oranges, biscuits, carrots, potatoes.
And a few other things.
Now that's very reasonable and for most people would be very welcome.

Max68

interesting table taken from BBC website. Does this suggest diabetes is below those with no underlying health conditions on the risk table? Confusing.

Attachments

• COVID19.png
    COVID19.png
    275.5 KB · Views: 315

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
interesting table taken from BBC website. Does this suggest diabetes is below those with no underlying health conditions on the risk table? Confusing.
I think they may have had medical conditions that were not on their records, so unknown, or conditions that aren't disease like being overweight, smokers, of ethnic origin etc.