Lelliee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,

My name's Ellie and I'm completely new to having an account on this website although I've been reading the forums for a while now
I'm pretty nervous about posting as I get afraid I'll sound silly.

I am currently 24+6 pregnant.
At the end of January, I received a phone call from the midwife saying I urgently needed to attent the hospital as the biochemists had noticed a discrepancy and ran an extra test and my HBA1C was 78.
In complete shock (very upset, anxious and confused, plus needle, blood and hospital phobia) I went to the hospital to be told I had diabetes, suspected and to be treated as type 1.

Over the next 8 weeks I was testing 4 times a day, targets of 5.6 or less fasting or 7.6 or less 1hr after food, eventually I was given a freestyle Libre. In this time I was injecting bolus and basal- levemir and novorapid everyday.
I would constantly ask the clinic what my diagnosis was and they would always say 'it doesn't matter which type you are you'd receive the same treatment during pregnancy'. But to me it really did and does matter. Getting the libre helped me alot, it took me 2 hours to do my first fingerprick due to being so phobic.

My blood glucose levels got lower and lower and I was in hypo daily. My insulin requirements were reduced and eventually stopped completely. I also had negative cpeptide, isolet cell and GADA tests.

I still have the freestyle libre and was put on 500mg sustained release metformin in a morning, which has since been increased to 2x500mg sustained release metformin each morning as I have a post breakfast spike (bacon and egg sandwich on medium sliced hovis best of both) which tends to go to 7-8 and drops to around 7 within the hour after eating.

A few weeks ago I had my HBA1C redone which was 45 and my fructosamine level done which was 226. The medical secretary for the doctor said notes said type 2 or probably gestational.

The clinic were so positive about my levels and graphs and jokingly said they wanted to use me in a textbook! Which really helped raise my morale. This doctor said definitely not type 1.

I attended my latest appointment this week and the Doctor claimed that it was probably type 2 but could be type 1 and ticked I'd need a sliding insulin scale, when I'm not currently on insulin.

I know I can't get a straight forward answer during pregnancy and I appreciate it's a long winded post, but I just wondered what people thought and how I'm doing basically
Thank you

mouseee

You dont sound silly!
I wont try and give any advice on this as I wasnt diabetic when pregnant.
But wanted to say welcome and you'll get lots of useful advice and support here.

Reactions: Maleth