Foods to have before a run?

Dpaterson9

Hi guys,
Now that I've stopped taking Lucozade (or any sugary drinks for that matter). And cutting my carbs down. What things would be good to eat or drink before going a run and how long before a run should I consume them?

Thank you

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I eat some cheese before walking the dog, which is not exactly running. It provides enough energy for sure. You could experiment and see how it goes. I also sometimes eat pork scratchings and cheese if going for a long walk. So, protein and fat basically.

Reactions: Dearbhla

Sgathach

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been experimenting with that, different foods before exercise. Worst is cycling for me, I need quite a few carbs it seems, at least 30mins before cycling.
Chocolate milk also seems to help.
You just need to experiment and see what works for you, test before and after.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I personally am unable to exercise but my grandson who is not diabetic but on a keto diet will have something on the lines of a sixteen egg omelette some beef steak well say a couple of steaks then take some protein shake to the gym with him when they where open and do a four hour work out on weights he finds he does not need carbs to give him the energy for exercising.

Now he is doing the weight training in his room and eating much the same diet he bought 60 eggs the other day and has used most of them over three days and filled my fridge with beef steak and chicken.

Mind you not the diet you may recommend normally but his hobby is body building.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I personally am unable to exercise but my grandson who is not diabetic but on a keto diet will have something on the lines of a sixteen egg omelette some beef steak well say a couple of steaks then take some protein shake to the gym with him when they where open and do a four hour work out on weights he finds he does not need carbs to give him the energy for exercising.

Now he is doing the weight training in his room and eating much the same diet he bought 60 eggs the other day and has used most of them over three days and filled my fridge with beef steak and chicken.

Mind you not the diet you may recommend normally but his hobby is body building.

Poor kid is starving... :D

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I loved this reply! I don't think I'd be able to move never mind get my limbs moving! I bet he's a very fit lad. x

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my grandson who is not diabetic but on a keto diet will have something on the lines of a sixteen egg omelette some beef steak well say a couple of steaks then take some protein shake to the gym with him when they where open and do a four hour work out on weights he finds he does not need carbs to give him the energy for exercising.
Each egg will contain about 0.6g carbs, so that's nearly 10g carbs plus protein shakes are by no means carb free. One scoop of protein powder may contain 4 or more g carbs. A standard carb allowance on a keto diet might be 20g daily, so would leave your grandson very few carbs to "spend" on vegetables (let alone fruit).

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To supply energy during exertion - that is what your fat stores are for - eating before a run diverts blood, and therefor nourishment away from the muscles.
I used to go out onto the Pennines or other highlands as found, and spend some time trotting around with the dogs, then go home mid afternoon and only then think about something to eat.
If batteries are kept fully charged up all the time they can become unable to release all their energy - I suspect that some people experience the same, they are never called on to use their inner stores of energy and that metabolic pathway becomes inefficient.

Reactions: zand

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t run, but I do walk long distances, usually starting out very early in the morning, so am fasted - just drink some water before going and sometimes a tea with cream. I can keep going for several hours with just water and my body’s reserves for energy. There are a lot of myths concerning the need to ‘carb up’ or ‘fuel up’ before exercise.

Edited to correct typo

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Each egg will contain about 0.6g carbs, so that's nearly 10g carbs plus protein shakes are by no means carb free. One scoop of protein powder may contain 4 or more g carbs. A standard carb allowance on a keto diet might be 20g daily, so would leave your grandson very few carbs to "spend" on vegetables (let alone fruit).
His protein shakes are carb free he does not eat eggs for energy and 10 grams of carb per day is keto by any ones standard.

He has studied nutrition in great depth he knows exactly what is in the foods he eats and the benefits of eating eggs goes way beyond carbohydrate count the boost to testosterone only being one among many.

Many doctors nutritionists and dietitians and quite a few people here could learn a lot from him
he studies it just as he studies his subject at university and he is on track for a first in that.

You do not need carbohydrate for energy that is a myth He has found that out in practice not theory.

We actually had an argument over this the other day I stupidly said where and when did you get your medical degree he countered with doctors know nothing about nutrition and I could not argue with that in the main they don't.

Just so you know he isn't talking out of his posteria.

" Eggs are a fantastic source of protein, cholesterol, vitamin D and omega-3s, all of which aid in the production of testosterone. Eggs are a very versatile ingredients and not only do they help increase testosterone levels, the protein in them helps with muscle building too!"

https://www.mariongluckclinic.com/blog/10-testosterone-boosting-foods.html

edit to add Did I say he eats vegetables if I make a low carb meal he does not eat the carby stuff simple as that the carbs in the eggs are the sum total of the carbs he may eat in a day. but he does not eat them necessarily every day just most days.

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
His protein shakes are carb free he does not eat eggs for energy and 10 grams of carb per day is keto by any ones standard.

He has studied nutrition in great depth he knows exactly what is in the foods he eats and the benefits of eating eggs goes way beyond carbohydrate count the boost to testosterone only being one among many.

Many doctors nutritionists and dietitians and quite a few people here could learn a lot from him
he studies it just as he studies his subject at university and he is on track for a first in that.

You do not need carbohydrate for energy that is a myth He has found that out in practice not theory.

We actually had an argument over this the other day I stupidly said where and when did you get your medical degree he countered with doctors know nothing about nutrition and I could not argue with that in the main they don't.

Just so you know he isn't talking out of his posteria.

" Eggs are a fantastic source of protein, cholesterol, vitamin D and omega-3s, all of which aid in the production of testosterone. Eggs are a very versatile ingredients and not only do they help increase testosterone levels, the protein in them helps with muscle building too!"

https://www.mariongluckclinic.com/blog/10-testosterone-boosting-foods.html

edit to add Did I say he eats vegetables if I make a low carb meal he does not eat the carby stuff simple as that the carbs in the eggs are the sum total of the carbs he may eat in a day. but he does not eat them necessarily every day just most days.

Totally agree. :)

It sounds like we'd get along well.... except for the 4hrs in the gym part... lol

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The diabetes team I attend say they find exercise is best done in the morning, regards blood sugar management. I don't do low carb, the evening before a day's hike up hills I try have a meal w beans/lentils in it. The morning- eggs and baked beans together work so well for me regards stabilising sugars, I also reduce the day's background insulin.
Do you reduce your fast acting insulin of th meal before your run?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The diabetes team I attend say they find exercise is best done in the morning, regards blood sugar management. I don't do low carb, the evening before a day's hike up hills I try have a meal w beans/lentils in it. The morning- eggs and baked beans together work so well for me regards stabilising sugars, I also reduce the day's background insulin.
Do you reduce your fast acting insulin of th meal before your run?

If you're asking the OP, he is pre-diabetic and not an insulin user.

Griffomarkii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys,
Now that I've stopped taking Lucozade (or any sugary drinks for that matter). And cutting my carbs down. What things would be good to eat or drink before going a run and how long before a run should I consume them?

Thank you

How long are your runs?

I am 17stone and run 4 times a week between 5 to 20km a time.

I found metformin was still allowing me to hypo if i didn't eat enough before running so i tried the following items and they seemed to work for me:
Morning runs - eat natural protein bars seem to work giving me energy and keeping me from feeling low at the end/
Evenings runs - i try a piece of fruit about 1 hour before and that seems to work.

its generally trial and error. long runs i will have one of the gels which isn't ideal some would say however if i don't i find i will start to drop very quickly in the 40 minutes post run.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The diabetes team I attend say they find exercise is best done in the morning, regards blood sugar management.
By contrast, Dr Bernstein maintains that everyone is more insulin resistant during the first hours of the morning and therefore it is better to eat fewer carbs for breakfast than at other meals AND better to postpone exercise til later in the day.

There are many interesting articles on exercise and bg management on the Diabetes Strong site: https://diabetesstrong.com/?s=exercise

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By contrast, Dr Bernstein maintains that everyone is more insulin resistant during the first hours of the morning and therefore it is better to eat fewer carbs for breakfast than at other meals AND better to postpone exercise til later in the day.

There are many interesting articles on exercise and bg management on the Diabetes Strong site: https://diabetesstrong.com/?s=exercise

Thanks for the post, I'm reading it now and finding it massively informative. It's always interesting to see what people think is the optimum time to run but I reckon the vast majority of us (apart from right at this moment in time) do it when we can fit it in. x

JamesD17

Since starting weekly parkruns in 2012, I just have a fresh fruit and vegtable juice from the juicer. No problems with energy levels at all. In fact, I'd say I feel more energetic having a liquid feed than anything else.

James

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since starting weekly parkruns in 2012, I just have a fresh fruit and vegtable juice from the juicer. No problems with energy levels at all. In fact, I'd say I feel more energetic having a liquid feed than anything else.

James
Can I ask what type you are? A T2 wouldn't/shouldn't go for fruit juices as they cause a massive, fast spike in blood glucose. Slightly less fast but still big would be whole fruit. Just wondering. (Because if you do this a lot, you might be headed for complications in the long term and I tend to be a worry wart. ;) )