Could it be T2? Please help me xxx

Sydney123

Hii everyone I am 19 years old, kinda active and of relatively normal weight. I have always had good health and a stong immune system but upon going to uni I got glandular fever/mono and I have had this for a couple of months and the doctor said come back as it may be anemia. However over the last couple of weeks i have had a decrease in appetite but still mainly eat, dizziness/lightheadedness, and a dry throat but i did recently have a sore throat. Like I always do I went on google and was looking around and saw the symptoms of diabetes and began to worry. Now regularly my vision blurs up but it quickly adjusts. I do find myself peeing a lot more but i have also largely increased the water I intake as yes i am thirstier. I am constantly exhausted but i mainly attribute that to my mono. Occasionally mainly at night my arm goes dead and I feel tingling in my hands occasionally in my feet and sometimes pains. I am now therefore terrified i have type 2 diabetes. I have agonising anxiety mainly health anxiety and i am always terrified I have something and constantly find myself crying and obsessing over my health. So much so i recently 100% convinced myself i have H.I.V (which i dont) I'm just always terrified that i am going to die especially with current health situation in the world. I want to go to the doctors but about this but i go often and I'm soo scared it might be true
Pleaseee help me and offer some advice, insight or guidance xxxx

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hii everyone I am 19 years old, kinda active and of relatively normal weight. I have always had good health and a stong immune system but upon going to uni I got glandular fever/mono and I have had this for a couple of months and the doctor said come back as it may be anemia. However over the last couple of weeks i have had a decrease in appetite, dizziness/lightheadedness, and a dry throat. Like I always do I went on google and was looking around and saw the symptoms of diabetes and began to worry. Now sometimes my vision blurs up but it quickly adjusts. I do find myself peeing a lot more but i have also largely increased the water I intake. I am constantly exhausted but i mainly attribute that to my mono. Occasionally mainly at night my arm goes dead and I feel tingling in my hands. I am now therefore terrified i have type 2 diabetes. I have agonising anxiety mainly health anxiety and i am always terrified I have something and constantly find myself crying and obsessing over my health. I'm just always terrified that i am going to die especially with current health situation in the world. I want to go to the doctors but about this but i go often and I'm soo scared it might be true
Pleaseee help me xxxx

Hi, please contact your GP or contact CAMHS as this link could be helpful with your health anxieties as you sound as though your symptoms are being accentuated or may not ( hopefully) even be there,
Take care and stay safe x

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nh...-and-adolescent-mental-health-services-camhs/

Reactions: EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Sydney123 , and welcome to the forum!

First, your symptoms don't shout diabetes to me at all, although a blood test is the only way to know for sure.
However over the last couple of weeks i have had a decrease in appetite, dizziness/lightheadedness, and a dry throat.

Of those 3 only the dry throat is connected to undiagnosed diabetes.
While dizziness/lightheadedness is associated with diabetes, it's only so as a reaction on medication. As you're obviously not on insulin or other diabetes medication, this isn't a symptom of diabetes.
However, you mention loss of appetite. Loss of appetite is not a diabetes symptom. But not eating enough is a very common cause of lightheadedness. Can it be you're dizzy because you haven't eaten enough?

The blurry vision in diabetes doesn't 'quickly adjust'. The blurry vision with fatigue does, which fits with you mentioning exhaustion and especially the mono.

And finally, the loss of feeling or tingly feeling you've read about on google is usually connected with nerve damage from having had diabetes over many years and decades, impossible as an undiagnosed 19 year old.

As a bonus, you're 19 years old, which makes T2 diabetes extremely unlikely.

So please take a deep breath, by all means contact your doctor if you're worried about your health but I wouldn't count on having diabetes.
You mentioned health anxiety, the current to do's with the virus really aren't helpful for many of us with any kind of anxiety but I can imagine how especially anyones health anxiety can get worse with all the reports about health and the virus at the moment.
Have you spoken to your doctor about the anxiety that's bothering you? It may be very helpful!

Good luck, take care and stay safe!

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I am now therefore terrified i have type 2 diabetes

At your age and weight I think I can safely say it's not type 2. But then I'm not a doctor so the best plan is to talk to a doctor. Google shouldn't be used to self diagnose and I know we all google, but I would never make a diagnosis based on google. That's what doctors are for. If you have unexplained weight loss that MIGHT point towards type 1, but see a doctor.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hii everyone I am 19 years old, kinda active and of relatively normal weight. I have always had good health and a stong immune system but upon going to uni I got glandular fever/mono and I have had this for a couple of months and the doctor said come back as it may be anemia. However over the last couple of weeks i have had a decrease in appetite but still mainly eat, dizziness/lightheadedness, and a dry throat but i did recently have a sore throat. Like I always do I went on google and was looking around and saw the symptoms of diabetes and began to worry. Now regularly my vision blurs up but it quickly adjusts. I do find myself peeing a lot more but i have also largely increased the water I intake as yes i am thirstier. I am constantly exhausted but i mainly attribute that to my mono. Occasionally mainly at night my arm goes dead and I feel tingling in my hands occasionally in my feet and sometimes pains. I am now therefore terrified i have type 2 diabetes. I have agonising anxiety mainly health anxiety and i am always terrified I have something and constantly find myself crying and obsessing over my health. So much so i recently 100% convinced myself i have H.I.V (which i dont) I'm just always terrified that i am going to die especially with current health situation in the world. I want to go to the doctors but about this but i go often and I'm soo scared it might be true
Pleaseee help me and offer some advice, insight or guidance xxxx
It's probably not T2. We can't diagnose on here, which is why I add in the "probably", but I'm fairly certain it isn't that... But you mention anxiety...? Do you happen to be hyperventilating chronically? (It's a bit different from acute hyperventilation, most of the time you barely notice you're doing it.). Could explain the tingling extremities, dry throat, fatigue and dizziness. I know that's what it does to me. Has nothing to do with my T2, just with my sense of panic and dread when something's going awry. Like, you know, a pandemic.

See someone about the health anxiety please. "Nothing to fear but fear itself"<-- Roosevelt had a point. For some of us, anxiety really does become crippling, and worse than anything we're actually afraid of. Keeping us from actually living life. There is help out there. Medication to take the edge off, (or over the counter remedies like CBD oil), therapy, that sort of thing.

Please do know I am taking you 100% seriously. I live with anxiety every single day, so I know how bad things can get.
Good luck,
Jo, who's convinced you're not a T2. :)

Last edited:

Sushibabes14

I'm not eating or sleeping..Pure anxiety...

Losing weight fast....

Zero appetite.

Difficult trying times...

Join a Facebook anxiety group for support. X

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Sounds like anxiety to me. I have seen exactly these symptoms, including hypochondria, in a bereaved person who lost a sibling to cancer very young. It’s a response to trauma. The glandular fever was a trauma because one loses confidence in ones body when something like that happens. I certainly did, and I had regular panic attacks for twenty years afterwards! My young friend is absolutely fine on Prozac. Still a hypochondriac though. No one is perfect.