Type 1 Novorapid failing?

Kailz96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

Been using Novorapid for 10 years now (since being diagnosed) as well as Abasaglar (Lantus).

For the past few weeks i have been taking my insulin at meals with bloods being at 6ish in the morning. I usually have 4/5 units for my cereal but recently finding that im needing upwards to 10. I am on the Libre and seeing how after each meal my bloods are going to 16/17 (no ketones). I changed the pen to another one incase it was a faulty and i am still having the same issue. I am on a new box as i binned the old batch just in case there was a fault.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have contacted my diabetic team but as its the weekend i should hear back on Monday.

Thanks!!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well things can change, but I know recently in this lockdown I need more basal and more bolus - probably a combination of a lot less exercise and stress to a certain extent (admittedly I also have a cold I can't get rid of), so did it start rising after the lockdown started? If so that may be the reason.

Or have you recently started using the libre and only just discovered its not working as you thought it was?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

Been using Novorapid for 10 years now (since being diagnosed) as well as Abasaglar (Lantus).

For the past few weeks i have been taking my insulin at meals with bloods being at 6ish in the morning. I usually have 4/5 units for my cereal but recently finding that im needing upwards to 10. I am on the Libre and seeing how after each meal my bloods are going to 16/17 (no ketones). I changed the pen to another one incase it was a faulty and i am still having the same issue. I am on a new box as i binned the old batch just in case there was a fault.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have contacted my diabetic team but as its the weekend i should hear back on Monday.

Thanks!!

Hi,

Where do you normally inject? Have you considered trying a new site area?
Keep a closer eye on BGs whilst injecting somewhere new..

Reactions: Dearbhla

Kailz96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well things can change, but I know recently in this lockdown I need more basal and more bolus - probably a combination of a lot less exercise and stress to a certain extent (admittedly I also have a cold I can't get rid of), so did it start rising after the lockdown started? If so that may be the reason.

Or have you recently started using the libre and only just discovered its not working as you thought it was?

Thanks for the reply.

Been using Libre since March last year so not new to it. Im not stressed about the lockdown, actually enjoying the break from work lol. Ive been exercising such as going for walks etc so i am still moving about. Just stumped by it all... as if my body isnt absorbing it

Kailz96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Where do you normally inject? Have you considered trying a new site area?
Keep a closer eye on BGs whilst injecting somewhere new..
I alternate between legs, arms and stomach. Long acting in my leg and do a different leg each night. If doing meal insulin ill use the opposite arm/leg again

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I alternate between legs, arms and stomach. Long acting in my leg and do a different leg each night. If doing meal insulin ill use the opposite arm/leg again

Ah, ok. Cool.. It can be easy although rotating. To get caught in one part of the body?

For instance, at work & in work attire. (Or even eating out?) It's easy to just hoik up my shirt bolus in the stomach. :)
When i'm home & indeed during lockdown, only my wife & the dog are privy to other areas..

Kailz96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, ok. Cool.. It can be easy although rotating. To get caught in one part of the body?

For instance, at work & in work attire. (Or even eating out?) It's easy to just hoik up my shirt bolus in the stomach. :)
When i'm home & indeed during lockdown, only my wife & the dog are privy to other areas..
I probably subconsciously do my arm at the same bit lol. Ive started a new pen tonight so will see how bloods are in a few hours. Fingers crossed it was a faulty pen

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I probably subconsciously do my arm at the same bit lol. Ive started a new pen tonight so will see how bloods are in a few hours. Fingers crossed it was a faulty pen

When in range. How are your fasting levels doing on the Lantus? (With no Novo on board?)

Kailz96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When in range. How are your fasting levels doing on the Lantus? (With no Novo on board?)
Dinner is 4/5 o'clock and Lantus is at 9 so by then my bloods are around 9/10 and thats with a correction before hand about 7pm. In the morning im 4-6. On the Libre though when i check in morning around 3am they seem to drop from 10ish to 5 with a straight down arrow

Yasw233

Having the same, have had LOTS of extra novarapid today and don't seem to be doing anything at all and just checked before bed, haven't eaten anything in hours and my bloods are 24! No ketones but I'm worried of getting sick atm as don't want to attend hospital with covid around

Reactions: Kailz96

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kailz96 Is there any chance your libre sensor could be faulty? Have you done any bloods to confirm the high readings? I only ask because I've had faulty sensors in the past and they either read much higher or lower than my blood glucose monitor so wherever I have a reading that appears out of the norm I will confirm with my glucose meter.

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dinner is 4/5 o'clock and Lantus is at 9 so by then my bloods are around 9/10 and thats with a correction before hand about 7pm. In the morning im 4-6. On the Libre though when i check in morning around 3am they seem to drop from 10ish to 5 with a straight down arrow

And are your bloodsugars dropping even lower, before you wake for the day? If I get an overnight low i always have a high blood sugar later in the day(I think some of the day's insulin gets used to deliver sugar back into liver?)
You've checked the dates on your insulins?