Tesco's and Carbs

Jeanno

Has anyone noticed that Tesco's no longer show carbs in their food guidelines. We get sugar, calories, etc but no carbs. I spoke to someone on their Twitter account yesterday and they said it's up to the manufacturers what they put on their webpage. I find this ridiculous. Their whole site has changed. eg. Kingsmill Wholemeal bread. They give energy, saturates, fat, sugar and salt. The sugar content is printed as 1.2g per slice. There is no mention of the carb intake which is 16.8g per slice. I think this is dangerous. If you're new to diabetes you need all the info you can get, and this is so misleading.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow you're right they seem to have removed all nutrition info from their website...

How odd.. I'll check a few others..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly Waitrose and Sainsbury's still have all the info (including Sainsbury has Kingsmill values)..

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I noticed this yesterday, very disappointing for those who count carbs and like myself rely quite heavily on this information being readily available.

I think the importance of making carbohydrate values isn't recognised as it should be. They make calorific values available for those looking to lose or maintain weight, and list other food groups to help individuals keep to the guideline daily amounts but often overlook carbohydrates or inconveniently list them per 100g.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Humph.
Tescos website has always been my go-to carb counting source.
How annoying.

you can bet the other supermarkets will follow suit, if it means they have less work to do.

I have just given them some robust ‘feedback’ on this on their website Contact Us page,

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the app. Looked up bread. Nutritional info was underneath product warning.

M

Member496333

Hmmm. The cynic in me smells influence from the manufacturers in the face of increasing awareness and popularity of low-carb eating. Of course, as @Brunneria alludes to, it could also be cost saving on Tesco's part, but I'm unsure how likely this is given that the information is already available and surely tied to bar codes?

It doesn't really affect me since I never eat anything that I'm not already familiar with, but I can sure understand it being a rather large inconvenience for some. Vote with your wallet if you can and buy elsewhere. Money talks.

Reactions: Flora123

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
This raises a question in me. Can you have something that is high in carbs but low in calories and vicky-vercky or are they directly proportional?

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
online@tesco.co.uk

I suggest an email of complaint, explaining why this information is so important to diabetics.
I have said that I will have to switch to Sainsbury as they still provide this information.

Edit
I am not sure they are looking at emails at the moment

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This raises a question in me. Can you have something that is high in carbs but low in calories and vicky-vercky or are they directly proportional?
Yes. Fats have twice the calories of carbs and so on so the two are not directly related

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You can blame the EU and other global bodies for being conned by the 'Calorie' measure which has been marketed world-wide as the measure for weight management which it isn't. The Traffic light labelling system does not show carbs - a big mistake. McDonalds removed carbs from their burger packs a couple of years back and I challenged them. They said they had come in line with EU labelling regs (they do list them on their tray sheets). Its a big problem and I frequently politely challenge posts where the word 'calorie' is mentioned but it's a losing battle; perhaps others can join in. Also note the weight watching companies also use calories (wrongly) as a measure for weight management as it's simple and people are silly enough to fall for it. Follow the science as they say.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is weird, I looked via google at the tesco site. I can see carbs.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Oh yes. Many fruit & veg may be high in carbs but very low in calories. x

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is for kingsmill wholemeal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200419-155416_Tesco Groceries.jpg
    Screenshot_20200419-155416_Tesco Groceries.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 140

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on my phone but I reached it through google and didn't sign in. I'll fire up the pc in a bit.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on my phone but I reached it through google and didn't sign in. I'll fire up the pc in a bit.
Odd... you must have the magic touch.. I've tried phone and desktop (imac) and can't get it at all..

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just looked on the pc. It is the first time the pc has visited the site. Same as everyone else, no nutritional info. Maybe it's something to do with the virus. If they update the app and it has not been corrected then I shell delete it.

So much for every little helps.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just looked on the pc. It is the first time the pc has visited the site. Same as everyone else, no nutritional info. Maybe it's something to do with the virus. If they update the app and it has not been corrected then I shell delete it.

So much for every little helps.
Thanks for checking