Book Corner.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I did the NC500 ( fantastic) last September and whilst staying in a cottage I read a Wilbur Smith book, I use to read him 30 years ago , so on my return home I decided to start them from the beginning , to date I am on my 16th book, I use my IPad to read them as the old eyes are failing a bit so I can get the font larger. Once I’ve finished all of the Wilbur Smith books I’m going to start on James Patterson Woman’s Murder Club ones , may need it if I end up in isolation ..lol

Reactions: wolfie11969

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading Child of the Pheonix by Barbara Erskine - I'm sure I've read this before too

@Ushthetaff have read a fair few of wilbur Smith's books. Sourced most of mine from the local library. Picked one up by chance whilst browsing and got hooked. I must admit I havent read much of the more recent stuff as our library didnt purchase them. Iam however now going to see if I can get them for my e-reader and start again. I think I finished the ones he wrote alone and I'm now ready to read the co-written books. When you get tht far look out for a writer called David Churchill and his own series of books

Also read a few James Patterson's but not for a long while.

I'm currently on a break from reading the Last Kingdom series by Bernard Cornwell. Pretty good I have to say

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Reading Child of the Pheonix by Barbara Erskine - I'm sure I've read this before too

@Ushthetaff have read a fair few of wilbur Smith's books. Sourced most of mine from the local library. Picked one up by chance whilst browsing and got hooked. I must admit I havent read much of the more recent stuff as our library didnt purchase them. Iam however now going to see if I can get them for my e-reader and start again. I think I finished the ones he wrote alone and I'm now ready to read the co-written books. When you get tht far look out for a writer called David Churchill and his own series of books

Also read a few James Patterson's but not for a long while.

I'm currently on a break from reading the Last Kingdom series by Bernard Cornwell. Pretty good I have to say

I will do , I got a lot of Wilbur smith from the charity shop , but have ordered the last 15 on my kindle , got some at only 99 p , I’ve finished the Courtney series just started the Ballantyne Series , with this lockdown situation canny beat a good read

Reactions: wolfie11969

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will do , I got a lot of Wilbur smith from the charity shop , but have ordered the last 15 on my kindle , got some at only 99 p , I’ve finished the Courtney series just started the Ballantyne Series , with this lockdown situation canny beat a good read

I have some Wilbur standalones from the charity shop, like you say a pound a book isnt bad.

I recently took over my granddaughter's bedroom with book cases and robably have about 300 books (hard copy), digital I probably have about 5,000 as I keep thinking 'oh I'll get round to that'

Who knows I might live til I'm 110 so I'll need something to keep me occupied

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just about to start 'Eve of Man' which I took on holiday with me about a year ago but never actually read. Has anybody else read this?

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just about to start 'Eve of Man' which I took on holiday with me about a year ago but never actually read. Has anybody else read this?

I havent read it, care to give us some detail as to what it is about?

What books do you like to read? I read anything and everything, even cereal boxes to see what the good old food chain are sticking in our food.

You will get used to me on this thread waffling along to myself

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I havent read it, care to give us some detail as to what it is about?

What books do you like to read? I read anything and everything, even cereal boxes to see what the good old food chain are sticking in our food.

You will get used to me on this thread waffling along to myself

It's a dystopian trilogy, follows a world in which no baby girls have been birthed in 50 years until eve is born. From what I can gather the future of the human race is reliant upon her. It was written by Tom Fletcher (McFly?) and his wife.

Sorry I'm not the best at selling books, my descriptions are terrible.

I like all sorts really, I love a good kindle bargain, the 99p books have been great as of late. I like a good mystery/thriller. And I love the Harry Potter books so any with similarities are great.

frankbegbie

I wouldn't be without a book to read now.
I started reading when a friend was talking about ones he'd read over the years and it inspired me to join the library.
The second one I read was COMA by Robin Cook, a real page turner. That had me hooked big time and I used to be up at all hours in the night reading for years.
I quit smoking and my concentration for reading just disappeared (also all the characters seemed to be lighting up a Lucky Strike on every page), so reverted to listening to the radio at night while in bed.
I can't remember what got me started again but it was a few years ago and haven't looked back since.
I don't think I could go to sleep without at least reading a few pages.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a dystopian trilogy, follows a world in which no baby girls have been birthed in 50 years until eve is born. From what I can gather the future of the human race is reliant upon her. It was written by Tom Fletcher (McFly?) and his wife.

Sorry I'm not the best at selling books, my descriptions are terrible.

I like all sorts really, I love a good kindle bargain, the 99p books have been great as of late. I like a good mystery/thriller. And I love the Harry Potter books so any with similarities are great.

Oh gosh you dont need to give a whole dialogue of the book, what you have given is great. Might try to source that one myself. Sounds a bit like Children of Men with Clive Owen and Juliane Moore.

And yes I'm always up for a bargain so can be usually found looking through internet or charity shops for the next book. I never pay a lot.

As for Harry Potter (dont shoot me) never got into them. I've seen the films and read the first book but didnt get any further.

As for murder/ mystery have you read any of the Roy Grace detective series by Peter James? well worth a go

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't be without a book to read now.
I started reading when a friend was talking about ones he'd read over the years and it inspired me to join the library.
The second one I read was COMA by Robin Cook, a real page turner. That had me hooked big time and I used to be up at all hours in the night reading for years.
I quit smoking and my concentration for reading just disappeared (also all the characters seemed to be lighting up a Lucky Strike on every page), so reverted to listening to the radio at night while in bed.
I can't remember what got me started again but it was a few years ago and haven't looked back since.
I don't think I could go to sleep without at least reading a few pages.

Hiya

Yes I read before bed, helps slow my brain down.

I love reading but often find to other health problems that I cant concentrate. Then it menas I feel I've read certain books before as I've possibly only took in part of the book.

what sort of books do you like to read? Got any recommendations besides Coma?

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh gosh you dont need to give a whole dialogue of the book, what you have given is great. Might try to source that one myself. Sounds a bit like Children of Men with Clive Owen and Juliane Moore.

And yes I'm always up for a bargain so can be usually found looking through internet or charity shops for the next book. I never pay a lot.

As for Harry Potter (dont shoot me) never got into them. I've seen the films and read the first book but didnt get any further.

As for murder/ mystery have you read any of the Roy Grace detective series by Peter James? well worth a go

I always feel like I don't do them justice with my synopsis of them. I'm glad to hear you at least attempted the Harry Potter series though.
I haven't heard of the Roy Grace series but I will have a look into them.

frankbegbie

Hiya

Yes I read before bed, helps slow my brain down.

I love reading but often find to other health problems that I cant concentrate. Then it menas I feel I've read certain books before as I've possibly only took in part of the book.

what sort of books do you like to read? Got any recommendations besides Coma?
Just off the top of my head, anything by Stephen King is usually good, I've read lots of his books.
I'll have a think about it and get back.

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just off the top of my head, anything by Stephen King is usually good, I've read lots of his books.

I enjoyed his Dark Tower series and Under the Dome which I believe they have made into a TV series now.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think my favourite King books are Cell and 11;22;63.
And I like a book he did with Peter Straub called the Talisman.

Has anyone here read Swan Song by Robert McCammon - its probably back from the 80's. Really enjoyed that book too

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always feel like I don't do them justice with my synopsis of them. I'm glad to hear you at least attempted the Harry Potter series though.
I haven't heard of the Roy Grace series but I will have a look into them.

I may try HP again but I just have that much else to read. I did watch the films however I think I've seen some out of sequence or been doing other things so missed the middle etc. Hubby and my youngest daughter love them. That much they went to HP World in the UK.Guess what I did? Yep stayed home reading hee hee

Reactions: philly1991

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished Child of the Phoenix now reading Kingdom of shadows by Barbara Erskine which is a sort of companion book to the Child of the Phoenix. Sure I've read this too :rolleyes:

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The benefit of this enforced break from reality is that I have the time to read grown-up books instead of the children's books I read to my daughter (although I have just really enjoyed reading Anne of Green Gables with her, which is one I'd never read before). Yesterday I managed to lie in the garden and read for most of the day. I'm about half way through Invisible Women, which I'm finding very interesting.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now reading yet another Erskine book called Lady of Hay. Now I know for certain I've read this before so may skip it and go back to the The Last Kingdom series

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Child of the Phoenix is an historic novel set in the medieval times. It centres around a character and her life from childhood in Wales through to marriage etc and a life in Scotland where Edward Longshanks is trying to take over Scotland for his own kingdom

It does have some links to Kingdom of Shadows too, similar characters