Diabulimia recovery

l021199

Hi I am currently a month into recovery after struggling with diabulimia for about 3 years . I was really ill with it but have managed to get my blood sugars loads better and more stable although still not perfect. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through recovery as I have lost a lot of hair and no longer get periods and was wondering if these will come back and how long it will take? As well as fluid retention in my face, how long does it take for this to go down?
Thanks

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am currently a month into recovery after struggling with diabulimia for about 3 years . I was really ill with it but have managed to get my blood sugars loads better and more stable although still not perfect. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through recovery as I have lost a lot of hair and no longer get periods and was wondering if these will come back and how long it will take? As well as fluid retention in my face, how long does it take for this to go down?
Thanks

Sorry to hear about your struggles and glad to hear you are in recovery. I can only comment from personal experience and would be reluctant to indicate a time frame as this is dependent on many factors and I don't want to dishearten anyone or trigger anyone. My periods returned quicker than my hair though are still erratic at times but I have found this does correlate to how well controlled by blood sugar is. The hair is working progress, still a little patchy but definitely growing and getting thicker. I've found it has been a very slow process.
What is very positive though is that you are taking steps in the right direction and taking control of your condition not letting it control you. I really do wish you all the best on your journey to recovery and hope you continue to seek help when you need it.

Reactions: mooshk

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks

Hi there. I'm not T1, so my eating disorder wasn't diabulimia. Mine was anorexia. At it's peak, I was very unwell, to the extent my parents came to say goodbye to me. It's still horrid, many years on, to think back to that.

Whilst anorexic and into my recover I had hairloss, resulting in thinning, and some bald spots. Of course, particularly as a woman, that was alarming.

My hair did grow back, over a period of months, and I can recall being in the hairdresser's chair, and being told I had new hair growth. Initially, it was a bit whispy and baby-like, but the patches just filled in over time.

I don't specifically recall fluid retention on my face, but I do often comment on here that as things settle, it can take our bodies a little while to settle into a new normal, an our bodies to behave a bit more normally.

My periods disappeared, but they did came back. For me that took a couple of years to happen.

One thing I would say to you, from my experiences looking back, would be just to take things one day at a time, and don't stress over your hair, or periods or whatever. The chances are, it'll right itself.

Last edited:
So much love to you in your recovery my sister, the strength and resolve and self love you've shown yourself in coming out of this life-consuming, diabolical, life-ruining, debilitating illness is admirable to the highest degree. As you already are probably aware, Diabulimia causes massive dehydration which is why you're now experiencing water retention, your body is still in shock and you can rest assured that this will absolutely not last. Your body is healing and that's ok. As for periods etc, just give yourself time beautiful woman, these things will heal and return to normal, just stay focused on your recovery and don't let anything distract you from that no matter what xx