Prediabetes during Coronavirus lockdown

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks, I’m feeling a bit worried and deflated. I was doing well with at least maintaining a normal weight, with keeping to a low carb routine. But finding it harder, during lockdown. I think I’m eating more often, partly because of being home more, and partly through boredom mixed with anxiety. I don’t lack things to do, but still find exercise is low on the list! And I don’t feel safe to go out running or walking as there are loads of runners and walkers around here. How are other people coping? I’m prediabetic, so maybe still feel I have choices at this point, but struggling to make the best ones, maybe!

RosieMaxwell

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Diana! I'm no expert at this being something of a newbie myself but I was sort of facing the same lockdown fatigue as you until I started using a couple of apps to do aerobics and yoga by a company called Down Dog. It's an iPhone app and it's free until the end of May because of this COVID situation. I don't know if that's helpful to you at all, but just a suggestion as it really helped me!

Reactions: DianaMC

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for taking the time to reply, @RosieMaxwell - I really appreciate it. The yoga app sounds good. I signed up for a yoga thing recently and realised I hadn’t bothered to open the emails with the videos! But tried one this week, which mostly involved stretching the arms and upper body - manageable for me :) I also braved a walk outside the day before yesterday, as have finally felt better after the virus.

Good to hear how other people are finding ways to cope during lockdown!

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Diana

I don’t lack things to do, but still find exercise is low on the list!

Have you tried to get into a routine and couple exercise to other activities?
Like doing some stretches in the time you wait for the tea/coffee water to heat up or do a couple of lunges everytime you washed your hands or do some squats when you get up from a chair/bed/couch etc.
This is the method of BJ Fogg. "Tiny Habits".
For a lot of us it is much easier to do small amounts every now and then, than a giant work out.
When you have fully established these routines, then you can build on them.

I know it is quite a new environment we find ourselves in in these times.
Humans are able to adapt. That's one of the things we've got going for us. ;)
We just have to do the first step and then everything else will fall into place.
Back when I was able to work out, that was one of the things that helped me.
I did not need to do a lot, just two or three reps. But when I did it, I usually did more than that. I had an immediate feeling of success and that felt so good I just kept going.

KernowKeith

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi folks, I’m feeling a bit worried and deflated. I was doing well with at least maintaining a normal weight, with keeping to a low carb routine. But finding it harder, during lockdown. I think I’m eating more often, partly because of being home more, and partly through boredom mixed with anxiety. I don’t lack things to do, but still find exercise is low on the list! And I don’t feel safe to go out running or walking as there are loads of runners and walkers around here. How are other people coping? I’m prediabetic, so maybe still feel I have choices at this point, but struggling to make the best ones, maybe!
Can I ask where you live? It is important to get proper exercise, not just yoga and the like. I rarely walked as much as I should have done but have so far walked just under 60 miles this month, most days walking around 4 miles. Yes do meet the odd walker, but I'm sure if you varied the time of day, or the route, then you'd be OK. Your profile picture suggests you don't live in a rural location.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Diana

Have you tried to get into a routine and couple exercise to other activities?
Like doing some stretches in the time you wait for the tea/coffee water to heat up or do a couple of lunges everytime you washed your hands or do some squats when you get up from a chair/bed/couch etc.
This is the method of BJ Fogg. "Tiny Habits".
For a lot of us it is much easier to do small amounts every now and then, than a giant work out.
When you have fully established these routines, then you can build on them.

I know it is quite a new environment we find ourselves in in these times.
Humans are able to adapt. That's one of the things we've got going for us. ;)
We just have to do the first step and then everything else will fall into place.
Back when I was able to work out, that was one of the things that helped me.
I did not need to do a lot, just two or three reps. But when I did it, I usually did more than that. I had an immediate feeling of success and that felt so good I just kept going.

Thanks, @MathildaGrace. That sounds a useful source - I will look it up. You’ve reminded me that I’ve not been able to do normal exercises that rely on balance, for some time now, as I’ve had a problem with vertigo. But it seems to be improving after a cold, so I may have more of a chance now.

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask where you live? It is important to get proper exercise, not just yoga and the like. I rarely walked as much as I should have done but have so far walked just under 60 miles this month, most days walking around 4 miles. Yes do meet the odd walker, but I'm sure if you varied the time of day, or the route, then you'd be OK. Your profile picture suggests you don't live in a rural location.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, @KernowKeith. Where I live is a mix of rural and otherwise. It seems most routes are popular with runners, cyclists, walkers and their families at the moment! But not to worry. I have found one route which is tolerable and manageable for me, so long as I can keep enough concentration to keep managing the 6.5 ft social distancing. Shorter spates of exercise seem to suit me best, as I’m prone to too much inflammation. I also have to take some care to build up slowly if away from exercise, I’ve discovered. I learned that the hard way by creating a frozen shoulder with an archery try out! (Not long after carrying over-heavy shopping). It took almost a year to sort, and I could barely exercise at all with it. That was followed by a spate of vertigo which went on for ages and meant I could not even walk in a normal way easily. So - it’s been a bit challenging and it’s easy for me to forget about all of that, and imagine I can just bounce straight into something.