Sudden increase in insulin requirements

ce81ar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After settling down to work from home a month back I’ve had good control with my Medtronic pump and Libre and concluded that basal levels were pretty spot on. About a week ago I woke in the morning to find my BG was high and had been rising through the night. I assumed it was a bad site and switched to a new one. This seemed to work ok for 12 hours and then again overnight I had a massive BG rise. Despite changing site again several times and switching everything else including insulin batch, it’s still happening and am now on 150% basal through the night to avoid massive highs. I haven’t changed diet (I’m lowish carb), exercise or shown any signs of being ill. Has anyone ever had something like this or got any suggestions on how to fix it?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
not sure what part of the world you are living in but just changes in the weather could be a factor in insulin needs changing

I review my basal settings every few months by doing basal testing

I copied the notes from a website that gives an outline

When evaluating basal insulin levels, keep this important fact in mind: In the absence of food, exercise and mealtime/bolus insulin, basal insulin should hold the blood sugar steady. Any significant rise or fall in blood sugar during a fasting basal test probably means that the basal rates need to be adjusted – even if the blood sugar winds up near normal by the end of the test.

It is a good idea to fine-tune your pump’s basal insulin settings before settling on specific bolus doses or insulin:carb ratios to use at mealtimes. When high or low blood sugars appear, it is difficult to know what to adjust unless the proper basal insulin levels have already been established.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The weather causes my basal needs to change quite dramatically, but at other times it just seems to change with no obvious reason. You can see which points in the night your levels are rising on your libre graph, and if this particular sensor is accurate with blood tests ( not all are for me), it may be worth tweaking your basal rate an hour or two hours before, and then do basal testing after a couple of days. Has the increase of 150% kept your levels steady overnight?

gto19660

After settling down to work from home a month back I’ve had good control with my Medtronic pump and Libre and concluded that basal levels were pretty spot on. About a week ago I woke in the morning to find my BG was high and had been rising through the night. I assumed it was a bad site and switched to a new one. This seemed to work ok for 12 hours and then again overnight I had a massive BG rise. Despite changing site again several times and switching everything else including insulin batch, it’s still happening and am now on 150% basal through the night to avoid massive highs. I haven’t changed diet (I’m lowish carb), exercise or shown any signs of being ill. Has anyone ever had something like this or got any suggestions on how to fix it?
I don't know but maybe you're rolling over on the tubing and pinching off your supply of insulin just a guess

Reactions: porl69

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The fact that it is only happening at night suggests its something to do with the mechanics of the pump (rather than a sudden change in your needs or a duff batch of insulin etc.) or unless you are sleep walking to the biscuit tin....
I hope you have resolved this by now anyhow?