FB_IMG_1573768072160.jpg

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome, @Sir-Lancelot !

Hello to everyone else!

I am a numpty and clearly did not have sufficient caffeine in my system early enough as I stood contemplating the over-recharged Frio wallets which I completely forgot about after I'd put them in water and rescued an hour later. So, that's one pen per two pen wallet until the water evaporates a bit.

I'm definitely not back at work next week - now it's being reviewed on a week-by-week basis as we are probably reopening on a very limited basis for the offspring/charges of key workers from Monday week. So, who knows? My current students won't be in, regardless, this I already know. But, certainly not everyone will be needed.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lockdown and diabetes management has been a bit of a trial for me. I am retired, so a lot of my routine has remained the same. Up and to bed at the same time, eating the same foods. Drinking moderately, weekends only. Weight has remained steady. Gone from the mix has been twice weekly swim training, grandson once a week and in blooming once a week. We are having shopping delivered, so not rushing around anywhere. However, I have been doing lots of gardening at home, garage clearing out, sewing, housework and am now painting the summerhouse. Couple of times a week join hubby on his hour plus circular from our house.
Now to the diabetes bit, over these last few weeks have had to keep gradually dropping the basal as night times have been one long hypo. DP has gone and I need less bolus with breakfast. I find basal needs do change as a rule and move between 9 and 10 units every few weeks (got Libre on NHS because of this) anyway I am now down to 7 units and not convinced that even this will be low enough as still dropping like a brick in the night. Was never this low 6 years ago at the start of this journey. Will give it a few more days to bed in though. I know these are strange times, but I am pretty relaxed and don’t feel stressed. Exceedingly odd!

Reactions: porl69 and Mad76

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, not sure where yesterday went except I was extremely busy with various things. Had a disaster in the afternoon; I was talking to my neighbour through the hedge when my dog decided to escape. One entrance to my back garden is through a metal field gate into a track which leads to fields. It has chicken wire across it up to the next-to-top bar. With no warning, my dog suddenly jumped through the top two bars. If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it; her rib cage is double the size of the gap, so she had to jump and twist on to her side at the same time to get through. In one fluid movement she was gone. She's not allowed in this part of the garden alone as I'm not sure she couldn't get over the back fence, but has never shown any interest in the gate before. There followed over half an hour of yomping over fields following her so I had at least an idea of where she was. I gave my phone number to a strange man walking his dog in case he saw her. Having done almost a complete circuit, I eventually found her in the farmyard opposite my house.

I've been walking her on a long lead only as I can't afford to lose her in a lockdown. I'm very lucky that I live somewhere that I could look for her without seeing anyone except a dog walker and someone in the farmyard, but it's not in the spirit of the situation and I now have to make yet more of the garden secure when I thought it already was. I know she's desperate for more dog company as she's used to seeing and playing with other dogs, but I can't make that happen and I'm doing what I can to keep her exercised and interested, including the agility course. I'm incredibly grateful to have her as a companion, but we weren't friends last night! :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Hope you're all well, bgs steady and looking forward to the weather inproving again. Have a good....um....Saturday? Sunday? Monday? Yes, Mon...no, Sunday?:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Mornin’ everyone, how are you all today?
Anxious dog time @hh1, I’m glad she came back to the region of home. I suspect there are many many humans right now who’d contort through the bars of the gate, if they could, for a bit of free galloping about without the social distancing lead on.
5.3 this morning, and have, so far, juggled the ageing Fiasp (time’s up for it on Tues/Wed) to keep it between that and 6.7. What can possibly go wrong.
I really need to prick out some seedlings today and prop up the seed tray support that was flattened, along with the nice self-sown cherry plumbs, in Caira. Could be some struggling at the bottom of the garden. With hints that we aged ones will be restricted for a lot longer, I want to have a few fresh green things to cook without having to ask our lovely neighbour to bring back too much for us.
The book group, now the zoom book group, which is usually 80% eating, drinking and gossiping, has a text for the next meeting. We take it in turns to choose one. A slightly dour member’s turn this time: The Plague, Camus. I resisted reading it for ages, but started yesterday. Lots of similarities.
On a more cheerful note, husband’s decided he’s going to continue decorating indoors until we run out of paint. Daughters won’t recognise our house when they finally get to visit. I think I’m going to have to hide the black gloss though, unless he bends his bushes towards the outhouse door.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, rest day today, so blood sugars a little wonky overnight due to too much wine and Bombay mix. Stayed in single figures though, so not terrible. I think we need to go out hunting and gathering at some point but I’m reluctant to get out of my pyjamas tbh!

@hh1 - sounds like you had a little more exercise that you were planning, I’m glad you got your dog back safely.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning, 6.1 waking after a take away curry, naan bread and fried spinach so I'm pleased about that, I had an 11 mile bike ride before tea so that'll have helped.

Wickes click and collect let me down with a plasterboard order yesterday and they're closed today so having noticed the towns B&Q having re-opened I'm nipping for some essential plasterboard shortly having just built a stud wall from skip wood in my living room, possibly a bike ride this aft and I haven't got the foggiest for tea but imagine it'll have chicken and rice in it somewhere :p

Enjoy the sunshine. :)

champ200581

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Hope everyone is safe and well?

Would it be possible to ask if anyone is aware of perhaps a charity maybe or the like that would take old blood test meters to be used for more neady persons? Post Covid obvs but I have 5 here not in use and that's still keeping spares seems wrong when they might help somebody else.

Thanks all x

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Reactions: porl69

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mornin’ everyone, how are you all today?
Anxious dog time @hh1, I’m glad she came back to the region of home. I suspect there are many many humans right now who’d contort through the bars of the gate, if they could, for a bit of free galloping about without the social distancing lead on.
5.3 this morning, and have, so far, juggled the ageing Fiasp (time’s up for it on Tues/Wed) to keep it between that and 6.7. What can possibly go wrong.
I really need to prick out some seedlings today and prop up the seed tray support that was flattened, along with the nice self-sown cherry plumbs, in Caira. Could be some struggling at the bottom of the garden. With hints that we aged ones will be restricted for a lot longer, I want to have a few fresh green things to cook without having to ask our lovely neighbour to bring back too much for us.
The book group, now the zoom book group, which is usually 80% eating, drinking and gossiping, has a text for the next meeting. We take it in turns to choose one. A slightly dour member’s turn this time: The Plague, Camus. I resisted reading it for ages, but started yesterday. Lots of similarities.
On a more cheerful note, husband’s decided he’s going to continue decorating indoors until we run out of paint. Daughters won’t recognise our house when they finally get to visit. I think I’m going to have to hide the black gloss though, unless he bends his bushes towards the outhouse door.
Just love the image of loads of demented people wriggling through the gate to freedom! Brilliant!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

I feel so poop, I decided to try a new area on my body for my infusion set - the thiccc thighs and a day after, I realised it wasn’t great. I was running high but I said I’d give it a chance. By second day I was very fed up but I still stuck with it. Third day came a long and BG was taking far too long to come down, morning BG whether there was food or not, whether I dosed for DP/hormones or not, my face is covered in little friends and I’m still high. I came down today after lunch time for a very short period of time. 5 mins past midnight I decided to break the “change your infusion set in the mornings” rule and changed it. Riding at 15.0 and water tastes very good.

I hope everyone is doing okay, unfortunately my work place doesn’t have all the necessary PPE. We only have one set of visors etc to share between 9 of us. I’m not too sure on how I feel about sharing PPE. The most we have is aprons and gloves.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also bought xylitol as an alternative to my sugar free syrup for coffee. I don’t know if that is spiking my BG or the coffee or both. But I’ll give it another go

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

I feel so poop, I decided to try a new area on my body for my infusion set - the thiccc thighs and a day after, I realised it wasn’t great. I was running high but I said I’d give it a chance. By second day I was very fed up but I still stuck with it. Third day came a long and BG was taking far too long to come down, morning BG whether there was food or not, whether I dosed for DP/hormones or not, my face is covered in little friends and I’m still high. I came down today after lunch time for a very short period of time. 5 mins past midnight I decided to break the “change your infusion set in the mornings” rule and changed it. Riding at 15.0 and water tastes very good.

I hope everyone is doing okay, unfortunately my work place doesn’t have all the necessary PPE. We only have one set of visors etc to share between 9 of us. I’m not too sure on how I feel about sharing PPE. The most we have is aprons and gloves.
Hi mei sorry you are having problems with your pump when i was on mine i had loads of problems with sights in the end i came off it for the last 5/6 weeks my bgs have been the best ever wether its because im being more vigilant with whats going on i dont know anyway hope things settle down for you quickly sending big hugs xx

Reactions: kev-w

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning everyone. Another back garden chopping, uprooting and planting, followed by reading on the sofa, cooking and eating day for me, just like yesterday, and probably tomorrow too. When we go on the walks in the woods we take the town route back home again just to remind ourselves it’s there. Is it Monday yet, or was that yesterday? Sunny again so might ask the washing machine to use the solar.
I’m feeling a bit bad that all of you are out there working, having problems at work (@MeiChanski), and helping others while I’m doing what all oldies have been asked to do. I know that when I was working I was doing a job that helped a few others, but that was then, this is now (oh gawd, is that a groan-making truism/cliche, or is it).
Hope you have a better bloods day, good bloods day, a reason to smile and a bit of laughter today everyone.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Good morning
I had a bad day yesterday and going to bed last night I gave myself 4 units of novorapid.
I don't normally need to or take that amount.

Even after 45 years of it i'm still scared of not waking up.

I woke at 4 am on 10.8 so whilst not brilliant the arrow on my libre was going down.
I got up at 5.30 and was disturbed to find a reading of 16.9!!

Took another armful and still struggled so took some more and sigh of relief i'm now at 6.2.

Normally I would be on the floor with that amount of insulin and ive been resistant before but never with such highs.

Resistance and not being as physically busy as normal and being a bit thick have a lot to answer for...…

Have a magnificent Monday everyone

Tony

Reactions: karen8967 and kev-w