Type 1 Taking extra insulin to compensate for carby snack

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am a Type 1 diabetic since 2012. I am now 66. I take Novorapid 3 times a day and Lantus at night. Was just wondering if it’s ok to take extra insulin to compensate for eating a substantial part of an Easter egg between meals. I know I shouldn’t have done it. Perhaps I should do a power walk round the garden instead? However I was just wondering if anyone has ever done this. Thank you, Loey 1953

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it is the sensible thing to do to take extra novorapid if you have a snack (what ever size it may be) that has enough carbs in it to raise your sugar level (I'm presuming you do carb count and know your ratios - if you do not it becomes a little more tricky to work out how much you need), if you don't your sugar levels will just keep rising until you take it next time anyway.

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks so much for that Rokaab. Yes, I do carb count. I’m going to take some now. Loey1953

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I simply take insulin for whatever I choose to eat, no difference between 'regular meals' or snacks.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Wasn’t aware I could do that but so useful to know. Thank you.

That is the whole point of a basal/bolus regime (lantus is your basal, novorapid your bolus).

In an ideal world (which we know doesn't exist) your basal would cover all your insulin needs if you ate nothing at all. You'd then inject bolus to match your food intake whenever you ate (whether that's one meal a day or 6 snacks). This gives you the flexibility to match your insulin to your food rather than your food to your insulin.

Ideally, your clinic would give you some numbers
1) your basal/lantus amount - if this is right you should stay level overnight.
2) insulin to carbs ratio eg 1 unit of insulin to 10g of carbs. This can vary widely from person to person and even by time of day. So if that was your ratio and you had a 30g of carb easter egg snack you could inject 3 units of insulin before it.
3) correction ratio - if your blood sugar is too high before a meal you can add in some extra bolus (novorapid) to the insulin for your carbs, so as to bring it down eg 1 unit might bring you down by 3 mmol/L. This figure also varies widely from person to person.

But there are lots of reasons why the above rules don't always give you the results you want - illness, exercise, stress etc etc all affect your insulin needs and sometimes all you can do is keep testing and injecting. (And don't forget that if you do a blood test before your novorapid has run out you should be careful to allow for the insulin in your system when you inject more as a correction - it may go down fine on its own.)

Good luck, and I hope you enjoyed your egg.

Reactions: sleepster

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info EllieM. I did a DAFNE course in 2012 after I was diagnosed and remember the above but I wasn’t advised to take insulin inbetween meals. I reckon this was probably because I was newly diagnosed and basically not confident enough. It’s so good to know that I can now do this when necessary. Prior to this I would go for brisk walks to burn to lower my sugars which isn’t always possible these days. The egg was absolutely delicious.

Reactions: Antje77

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info EllieM. I did a DAFNE course in 2012 after I was diagnosed and remember the above but I wasn’t advised to take insulin inbetween meals. I reckon this was probably because I was newly diagnosed and basically not confident enough. It’s so good to know that I can now do this when necessary. Prior to this I would go for brisk walks to burn to lower my sugars which isn’t always possible these days. The egg was absolutely delicious.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! As others have said, just be careful about 'stacking' insulin, ie when you take your insulin for the snack just take account of the last insulin you may have taken, ie for a meal you may have had an hour before or 2/3 hours ago, as that will still be on board (it stays around for around 5 hours). Also, on my course they said most people don't need to take insulin if the carby snack is under 15 carbs so bear that in mind too. Other than that you will find your own regime and will soon become experienced with 'snacking', as I say just keep testing. x

MarkHaZ123

Iv always been told if you have carbs you take insulin if it's over 1cp.

When I go to the footy on an away day I can snack all day but just take x amount for whatever I have at the time
On a night time depending on how much Iv had for tea or if Iv eaten early I might have a snack late on so just stick some insulin in.
I forgot to do this last week when I ate 2 scones. Checking my bloods later they peaked around 26-27

The only time I don't take insulin is before exercise after food.