Infusion set blockages

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to pumping and have been on the Tandem X2 now for eight months and had three tubing blockages during that period. I do site changes every 3.5 days. I'm interested to know if this is considered normal and want to know if others have similar experience with blockages or if they are a more unusual happening. I'm not keen on changing sites more often.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jimmax I've had the Tandem X2 for about a year & not had any blockages - apart from trapping the tubing in my belt buckle! I usually change every 3 or sometimes 3.5 days too.
I do read about people getting occlusion alarms but I don't think they are too common.

I would have a chat with Tandem (or Air Liquide if you are in the UK).

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm using the t:slim X2 as well. I've not had any tube blockages at all, I change every 2.5 to 3 days. On one day I'd got a bit lazy with inserting the infusion sets and found I'd bent maybe 3 soft ones because I was not paying attention to the auto clipping either side and they were going in at a slight angle. Now make sure its fully clipped on both sides and flat to my skin before pressing the sides.

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Hi @jimmax
I've had the Tandem X2 since Oct 2019 and I had a lot of problems with the autosoft cannulas.
I changed over to the Tru-Steel type and it has been much better.
The downside is that you have to change the Tru-steel cannulas every 2 days.

As I consume a LOT of insulin, that isn't really an issue for me.

I spoke to my DSN and also to others online and some people do seem to have more issues with infusion sites than others, so don't be too concerned.

Air-Liquide Customer service has been very helpful and didn't mind that I had consumed a few more sets than normal.

I just take it as part of the joy of being a T1 Diabetic.

I had to use my Pen the other day when I snagged my cannula whilst at work. I never want to go back to Pens full-time again.
I love my X2, even though my levels are still not under control.

Good luck

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replies DunePlodder, Chas C, and Capt-Slog.
I've noted that body fluid and sometimes blood always manages to get up the site needle and I suspect that over 2 or 3 days this may be solidifying to cause the blockages.

Would welcome your comments on this theory. I have a plan to test it.

Last edited:

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your replies DunePlodder, Chas C, and Capt-Slog.
I've noted that body fluid and sometimes blood always manages to get up the site needle and I suspect that over 2 or 3 days this may be solidifying to cause the blockages.

Would welcome your comments on this theory. I have a plan to test it.

Unlikely the needle is being blocked, as its in use every few mins, but could well be the skin site itself could be damaged from over use ?. I can no longer use my legs do to poor rotation and large insulin doses in my teens. I have one spot on my stomach that only lasts a day or so before it needs moving.

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unlikely the needle is being blocked, as its in use every few mins, but could well be the skin site itself could be damaged from over use ?. I can no longer use my legs do to poor rotation and large insulin doses in my teens. I have one spot on my stomach that only lasts a day or so before it needs moving.

Thanks Chas C,
the needle or plastic tube is definitely blocking as I've checked the failed TruSteel infusion sets after removal by forcing insulin through the tube with a syringe. With two of the three blockages I've managed to clear the blockage using the high pressure created by a 30u syringe. I re-used one of these successfully again. The main downside of this is the high risk of infection or blockage again.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Chas C,
the needle or plastic tube is definitely blocking as I've checked the failed TruSteel infusion sets after removal by forcing insulin through the tube with a syringe. With two of the three blockages I've managed to clear the blockage using the high pressure created by a 30u syringe. I re-used one of these successfully again. The main downside of this is the high risk of infection or blockage again.

The only other option I can think of is to change every two days ?, if your UK based then this should not be a supply issue other than maybe inconvenient for you.

jimmax

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only other option I can think of is to change every two days ?, if your UK based then this should not be a supply issue other than maybe inconvenient for you.

Hi Chas C.
I'm in New Zealand and I don't qualify for free pump or consumables except insulin and the cost is a big deal for me. To try to avoid the disruption of blockages I'm going to try flushing out the needle with a syringe between changes and re-use it. I realise the risk of infection is increased but infection has never been a problem for me.