Type 1 diabetes and vomiting - Please help!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I understand in simple terms is because you are vomiting you have no carbs so the body finds glucose by burning fat, burning fat is what leads to ketones , the body also can also put lots of glucose in your blood to try and give you energy to fight the illness so insulin should be injected accordingly. I wasn’t aware of this and it resulted in a hospital stay but don’t worry you are a long way from that . All this is only as I understand it and may have mistakes

Hi buddy,

Sort of.. (In laymans terms.) If the blood sugars are stable & in the "zone" but fasting has happened through loss of appetite sickness or even adopting a "ketogenic diet" then there can be keytone traces during testing. "Nutritional Ketosis."
But this can be confused with "ketoacitosis" in a diabetic which can be dangerous but only coinciding very high blood glucose levels..?
But yes illness can cause high BGs. & can lead if un treated prolonged, to high ketones resulting in ketoacitosis..

@npatel19 appears to have pretty good BG managment though high at the start) despite fasting through sickness & keytones as well as BG seem to be at a safe level. Due to eating carbs. & manag

The two can be confused, but the clue is in the BG levels.

Reactions: slikwipman

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Hi buddy,

Sort of.. (In laymans terms.) If the blood sugars are stable & in the "zone" but fasting has happened through loss of appetite sickness or even adopting a "ketogenic diet" then there can be keytone traces during testing. "Nutritional Ketosis."
But this can be confused with "ketoacitosis" in a diabetic which can be dangerous but only coinciding very high blood glucose levels..?
But yes illness can cause high BGs. & can lead if un treated prolonged, to high ketones resulting in ketoacitosis..

@npatel19 appears to have pretty good BG managment though high at the start) despite fasting through sickness & keytones as well as BG seem to be at a safe level. Due to eating carbs. & manag

The two can be confused, but the clue is in the BG levels.

Everything you describe is exactly what I did. After becoming type 1 in adulthood I didn’t give it the importance it deserved, the end result being a stay in hospital which the cost of is hard to sit with. I now realise I need to keep things simple which can be difficult because people naturally think everybody can learn to their level. Carbs + insulin = energy really is pretty much my level and need help to learn the important bits

Bishop

Hello
You shouldn't worry. Ketones are a problem only if you run constantly very high constantly for a longer period of time. All the people have ketones in their bloodstream if they fast. Any healthy guy who doesn't eat for a prolonged period of time will develop ketones, they are good for us not bad, our body uses them to feed. Ketoacidosis is a different animal and when that happens that is a big problem. You can't have ketoacidosis when your BS level is 5. If you are somewhere over 12 for more than a day or two maybe then you could start to look into it.
I was in ketoacidosis when I was diagnosed, I managed to live in that state for weeks, my body was slowly failing until I finally understood how bad I was.
Good luck!

Reactions: npatel19

djfm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain
when I start vomiting I can't stop for 3 day and end up in a+e with DKA (borderline).
if you can't hold anything down liquids or water for 3 day ring 111.
last time I did that it took half a day to get emitted to a+e. could be worse now

all I got was, its IBS from the GP and the consultant say manage it.
tablet from the GP sent me back to A+E

stay strong and leave on you feet

Reactions: npatel19