A little help please

Tina conno

I'm type 2 diabetic. Only got diagnosed about 2 months ago. I tried metformin but it made me violently sick. I stopped taking them. Was going to book appointment with my nurse then all this coronavirus stopped me from doing so. I don't take insulin or check my bloods. Yesterday I checked my bloods in my daughters as she is type 1. My reading was 18.4. I have been feeling sick been going the toilet with diarrhoea. Any one got any suggestions in what I should do. I don't even know what to eat ( I'm a veggi). Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can make a giant difference if you change your diet to low carb. It's a bit tricky with being a veggi, but there's a whole section on it on the forum: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/ You might want to have a read there. And my own little quick-start guide. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html Please forgive all the foods with faces, I hope you can read around them.

Bottom line: Get a meter for yourself and start cutting carbs, as practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested. (Which, having a T1 daughter, you already know I suppose).

Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: Tina conno

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suspect you are eating too many carbs. Can you tell us what you eat in a day?

There is a veggie forum.

Edit. Jo did it again :)

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm type 2 diabetic. Only got diagnosed about 2 months ago. I tried metformin but it made me violently sick. I stopped taking them. Was going to book appointment with my nurse then all this coronavirus stopped me from doing so. I don't take insulin or check my bloods. Yesterday I checked my bloods in my daughters as she is type 1. My reading was 18.4. I have been feeling sick been going the toilet with diarrhoea. Any one got any suggestions in what I should do. I don't even know what to eat ( I'm a veggi). Thanks
Hi TINA
looks like you got a bug of some sorts steady as you go
drink plenty of fluids to help with dehydration call your nurse and explain if not 101 write key facts down when you speak to them if you do a walk does help only if you can .
rest if possible if you can not eat drink BUT CALL A NURSE OR FIND OUT WHAT NEAREST HOSPITAL HAS A DIABETICE CLINIC AND RING THEM PLEASE keep trying they can help but with what's going k19 keep distance hope that helps a tad best of luck vic hill type one on insulin or if you know any person that has type 2 contact them

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely keep well hydrated.

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Tina conno and welcome

Sounds like you’re having a rough time. There are possibly 2 things going on. Firstly your blood sugars are running high and secondly you have an upset stomach. The second could be making the first worst.

In your shoes I would definitely try and contact my GP surgery either by telephone or if they use the e-consult service, that is very effective.

In terms of the blood sugar levels, @JoKalsbeek’s advice to reduce your intake of carbohydrates is a good one and will help. In addition to the links she shared, please have a read of this: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

The diet doctor website is also very helpful and includes plenty of information for vegetarians.

For the diarrhoea, if you’re not on blood glucose lowering medication - and it sounds like you’re not, then it won’t be a problem if you don’t eat for a short period while things settle down, but it is very important to stay hydrated.

Finally a blood glucose meter would be a good idea. Tagging @Rachox for some information.

Please do contact your GP and let us know how you get on.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I suspect you are eating too many carbs. Can you tell us what you eat in a day?

There is a veggie forum.

Edit. Jo did it again :)
thank you for your edit .what i would like to know as it never followed up a did the person phone a nurse or clinic as we are not qualified to help on health problems only advice this case in NHS 101 VIC

Reactions: xfieldok