Ankle/leg swelling

mark115_1

Hi all,

I have noticed this happening over the past few weeks were my ankle/leg swells where my sock line is.
My socks band is lose so I have no idea what is making this happen.
Any idea what this could be and what I should do to combat it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
20200423_001556.jpg
20200423_001606.jpg

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Fluid retention. Do you eat a lot of salt or have any health issues . Do you stand all day when you work ?. You dont even say whether or not you are diabetic.
Google" oedema" for background information

cliff0805

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I have noticed this happening over the past few weeks were my ankle/leg swells where my sock line is.

Any advice would be greatly appreciatedView attachment 40704View attachment 40705
I have this problem also and was told it was to do with kidney deterioration. Not wishing to sound alarmist but it may be an avenue to explore?

84green

Hi all,

Any advice would be greatly appreciatedView attachment 40704View attachment 40705

Certainly worth checking with a GP as it can be a range of things that can all be identified with testing. It can, for instance, be a side effect of some blood pressure medications.

mark115_1

Fluid retention. Do you eat a lot of salt or have any health issues . Do you stand all day when you work ?. You dont even say whether or not you are diabetic.
Google" oedema" for background information
Hi Pasha,

Not that am aware normal intake of salt not that much,

I am a type 2 diabete with high cholesterol.

Working being sat down but am out of my chair every 20 mins walking around the warehouse.

Other than that everything is a ok.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Pasha,

Not that am aware normal intake of salt not that much,

I am a type 2 diabete with high cholesterol.

Working being sat down but am out of my chair every 20 mins walking around the warehouse.

Other than that everything is a ok.

Best to see a doctor, there are so many possible causes and only a doctor is qualified to sort them out. Best wishes to you.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a similar problem and it occurs when I take blood pressure pills. It also exacerbated my COPD. I have tried to be fair and explained it to DN and two GP's but I am talking to the wall. I own a 24 hour blood pressure monitor and have carried out numerous tests both with and without the pills. I don't have high blood pressure but I do have the pills side effects.

Reactions: Colinmeager

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have this problem that is why I am on furusomide and I do not wear socks with tight elastication at the ankles.

Please as has been said consult your doctor.

Dusty911

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had this problem and the GP out it down to a particular drug prescribed for lowering blood pressure. Came off it and problem disappeared. I was given another type of medication.As others have said consult your doctor.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for replying I will contact my doctor on Monday.

Hi, what was the verdict? I have the same problem which has improved since my BG came down, but another perspective would be helpful.

mark115_1

Hi, what was the verdict? I have the same problem which has improved since my BG came down, but another perspective would be helpful.
Hi Kenny,

Am calling my doctor tomorrow morning as I was other tablet (Naproxen) though my thumb pain they thought was causing it to happen.
But a week later it's still the same so as soon as I know I will repost.

abroomfield60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Presume could be many causes but I have this problem and it has resulted from blood clots in the LEGS. Do see a GP for advice. I am now on blood thinners

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Always remember that Oedema of the feet, ankles and lower egs (below shin) of a regular nature that fill up during the day but disperse during the night (say 90%) can always be a classic sympton of Congestive Heart Failure and, usually, left Ventricle down to 60% efficientcy or less. Not trying to frighten the OP but taking the opportunity as the subject is very appropriate. Btw I have CHF.

PennyL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I would see your GP. You can get an online appointment via video link if you don’t want to go to a surgery at the moment. I also have this and bought some diabetic socks which have very loose tops so they are more comfortable, they come in all colours and I got mine from Amazon. Good luck

mark115_1

Update for you all asking been to see doctor he said not sure what it is
Done blood test and urine test got to wait till Friday to get results and said to me if I don't hear anything back from us you have nothing to worry about.
If it gets worse then come back

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Always remember that Oedema of the feet, ankles and lower egs (below shin) of a regular nature that fill up during the day but disperse during the night (say 90%) can always be a classic sympton of Congestive Heart Failure and, usually, left Ventricle down to 60% efficientcy or less. Not trying to frighten the OP but taking the opportunity as the subject is very appropriate. Btw I have CHF.
My EF is 60% and do have swelling in legs. But my doctor says it is fine. Should consult another doctor.?
I have swelling since i took lots of antibiotics with a malaria course when i was admitted in hospital since 2015. I sometimes worry that it was same malaria course that it is in news nowadays for coronavirus treatment. That it cause heart failure and heart problems.

Last edited:

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
My EF is 60% and do have swelling in legs. But my doctor says it is fine. Should consult another doctor.?
I have swelling since i took lots of antibiotics with a malaria course when i was admitted in hospital since 2015. I sometimes worry that it was same malaria course that it is in news nowadays for coronavirus treatment. That it cause heart failure and heart problems.
The only thing that immediately sprang to mind was that Quinine Sulphate (Kina in S/E Asia) is so closely aligned to all the Sulphates being considerted/used for COVID-19. When I say closely aligned QS is/was primarily manufactured to ALLEVIATE
the symptoms of Malaria. The FDA ordered it to be removed from open sale after the deaths of 90 long-term users died as a confirmed determination. I was on it for eight years for leg cramps so have some knowledge, So, of late, when I see that in the negative reports for Hydroxychloroquine developed for just the same use of QS I get very suspicious and your heart symptoms MAYBE connected to use of these drugs raised 'red flags' immediately. I also have Congestive Heart Failure so I DO have some
knowledge of the whole subject but wish I did not of course. Swelling in the legs is Venus Insufficiency Return which in my case was the CHF caused by my long-term undiagnosed Diabetes - you must consider this and only an Electrocardiogram can confirm
or deny this. CHF DOES NOT register on normal heart measurement equipment.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing that immediately sprang to mind was that Quinine Sulphate (Kina in S/E Asia) is so closely aligned to all the Sulphates being considerted/used for COVID-19. When I say closely aligned QS is/was primarily manufactured to ALLEVIATE
the symptoms of Malaria. The FDA ordered it to be removed from open sale after the deaths of 90 long-term users died as a confirmed determination. I was on it for eight years for leg cramps so have some knowledge, So, of late, when I see that in the negative reports for Hydroxychloroquine developed for just the same use of QS I get very suspicious and your heart symptoms MAYBE connected to use of these drugs raised 'red flags' immediately. I also have Congestive Heart Failure so I DO have some
knowledge of the whole subject but wish I did not of course. Swelling in the legs is Venus Insufficiency Return which in my case was the CHF caused by my long-term undiagnosed Diabetes - you must consider this and only an Electrocardiogram can confirm
or deny this. CHF DOES NOT register on normal heart measurement equipment.
I have had ecg, few doctors says its normal few say its not. It shows high heart rate and arrhythmia. I didn't take it for long, took it for just three days but it was three times a day.
It was enough for me to cause swelling in my legs. I am clueless, i have never felt short of breath but i am feeling it since last three weeks. Will get ecg and acho 2d done once more then. Have been consulting doctors since last 6 months and been yold its normal and have no heart problems. I don't have diabetes though, had pre diabetes which i fexed using low carb.