leg pain..circulation issues?

Helen46

Hi, I have virtually been confined to the house for 42 days. Over that period I have tried to keep up regular activity but find I am increasingly getting sciatic pain which I can almost keep under control with the standard exercises. However, I have also found that I am suffering a pain similar to a red hot tennis ball in the top outside of my left calf when trying to get out of bed. Doing the usual, blood test, toileting etc and getting breakfast sees the pain dissipate after about 10-15 mins. However if I then sit down to read the pain returns when I stand up. I have low BP so I find it more comfortable reclining to read. I think this is a circulation related issue as if I keep on the go over the day it stays away. Does not stop me sleeping and I do not wake with the pain but it comes as soon as I attempt to stand. HbA1c's hover round 7. Any ideas? It has been suggested I go up and down stairs but I believe any activity (so long as I am standing) results in easing the pain after 10-15 mins.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Depends on your fitness levels, but stairs? I'd be wary about that. Flat walking would be my "go"

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may be worth getiing checked out by a doc but....
I recently had sciatica 'properly' for the first time and it is really painful, my sympathies.
The pain migrated as I slowly recovered and towards the end of my recovery, the worst pain was on the outside of my calf.
Doing certain things or being in certain positions brought it on. Perhaps you have found a position that brings on your pain either moving to get out of bed or having laid in a position?
The sciatic is a big nerve and I found it painful in various spots from back to feet.
Anyhow, as I say, perhaps best to get it checked if you can.

Helen46

It may be worth getiing checked out by a doc but....
I recently had sciatica 'properly' for the first time and it is really painful, my sympathies.
The pain migrated as I slowly recovered and towards the end of my recovery, the worst pain was on the outside of my calf.
Doing certain things or being in certain positions brought it on. Perhaps you have found a position that brings on your pain either moving to get out of bed or having laid in a position?
The sciatic is a big nerve and I found it painful in various spots from back to feet.
Anyhow, as I say, perhaps best to get it checked if you can.
I have had sciatica before, and you are right...it is not nice! This is on the opposite side and a very different sensation. Planning to go to the doctor but when I checked to make an appointment...the rigmarole was amazing!

Helen46

I have had sciatica before, and you are right...it is not nice! This is on the opposite side and a very different sensation. Planning to go to the doctor but when I checked to make an appointment...the rigmarole was amazing!
Yep, you are right...Sciatica! It is exacerbated by eating "soft cheese"! Being confined and in the high risk zone whenever anyone did a welfare check they brought me soft cheese (because they know I love it!). I even tried to refuse the last lot because I felt I had been living on it...goto comfort food! So, Ibuprofen 200mg as necessary, no soft cheese and the usual exercises in moderation. Even upto a big outing this afternoon...brought the bin in!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So if it is a pain that wears off once you are moving and warm then I would set the alarm at regular intervals during the day to structure your day's exercise so that you are never reclining so long that nerve pain is triggered.
On a practical level here is Dr Ranjan Chatterjee's ktichen worktop routine lasting 5 minutes:

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-27_9-20-9.png
    upload_2020-4-27_9-20-9.png
    180.5 KB · Views: 295

Helen46

So if it is a pain that wears off once you are moving and warm then I would set the alarm at regular intervals during the day to structure your day's exercise so that you are never reclining so long that nerve pain is triggered.
On a practical level here is Dr Ranjan Chatterjee's ktichen worktop routine lasting 5 minutes:
Thanks Nicole...the physic has set me up with a range of exercise specifically to loosen the adjacent muscles and to smooth the passage of the nerve through the muscles. It is slowly improving but I will be glad to get back to regular routines. Helen

Reactions: NicoleC1971