Newly diagnosed and totally confused

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo,

I tried taking some measurements but I can't even get the machine to work.

It keeps giving me an error once it takes the blood. I have spoken to my clinic and they have suggested that I go to a Chemist to make sure that I am doing it right, and come and see them if the machine is faulty.

Question [I don't seem to get betting a lot of blood coming out of me either when I lance myself. I have set depth settings to low and high and taken it from the side of my finger, palm and forearm but barely anything comes out and its making a mess of me with bruises]

I have the Aga Matrix WaveSense Jazz monitor.

Thanks
You really went for it eh? Those things do everything but the washing up, so I'm guessing the strips'll cost an arm and a leg too... Getting faulty readings all the time'll be a costly adventure. If it's a matter of too little blood, get your hands warm, either by rubbing or washing them in warm water, to get the veins to open up a little. Might also want to swing your arm a bit to force a little more blood in there. Perfectly fine to squeeze... You shouldn't need a huge amount of blood. But if this persists, indeed, see a chemist and find out what's going on. You might also want to try a cheaper, less complicated machine, like a Tee2 (cheap strips).
Good luck!
Jo

midiman

You really went for it eh? Those things do everything but the washing up, so I'm guessing the strips'll cost an arm and a leg too... Getting faulty readings all the time'll be a costly adventure. If it's a matter of too little blood, get your hands warm, either by rubbing or washing them in warm water, to get the veins to open up a little. Might also want to swing your arm a bit to force a little more blood in there. Perfectly fine to squeeze... You shouldn't need a huge amount of blood. But if this persists, indeed, see a chemist and find out what's going on. You might also want to try a cheaper, less complicated machine, like a Tee2 (cheap strips).
Good luck!
Jo

I didn't have a choice, it's what they gave me.

I managed to get it working, it looks like that I am not providing it with enough blood on the strip even though it bleeps.

I started taking blood from my right forearm and I just about get enough.

My reading at 11PM before bed was 10.2 mmol/L

Pre break was 11.3
Post breakfast 13.2

I managed to get in contact with my regular clinician and she advised to keep doing what I am doing and take 1 Gliclazide tablet if my reading is over 10 and see how I get on. And up it to two per day until I can get under 10 mmol/L.

Then will have another hbac1 in a couple of months and look to wind down the drugs dose depending on my progress.

midiman

You don't have to take the Gliclazide, you can't be forced to take it. Just remember that, it's your decision to take it or not, and your progress is to be commended. Why on earth you would want to change good progress with the addition of a drug that carries serious risks on low carb diet is beyond me.

The real enemy here is insulin resistance (IR) - gliclzide makes IR worse by forcing the pancreas tp produce even more insulin which the body has become resistant to in order to protect your organs from too much insulin. You have done a great job in 3 months, that is how you reduce IR. So why change what you are doing when it is clearly working?

Again, it's up to you to decide whether to take it or not.

In regards to testing, if your fingers are dry, wash them under some warm water then dry them on something clean and then try, make sure you set the depth at a comfortable level on finger pricker... it is adjustable.

I agree, I don't want to take the Gliclazide on top of the Metaformin but I need to get this down quick.

My Glucose level readings are still over 10 and I need to get them into a good range.

They have advised me to take 1 Glic in the morning on top of my Metaforim and check my levels twice a day and up it to two if necessary until I can get into single figures. Then start weaning back off it and the Metaforim over time.

Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't have a choice, it's what they gave me.

I managed to get it working, it looks like that I am not providing it with enough blood on the strip even though it bleeps.

I started taking blood from my right forearm and I just about get enough.

My reading at 11PM before bed was 10.2 mmol/L

Pre break was 11.3
Post breakfast 13.2

I managed to get in contact with my regular clinician and she advised to keep doing what I am doing and take 1 Gliclazide tablet if my reading is over 10 and see how I get on. And up it to two per day until I can get under 10 mmol/L.

Then will have another hbac1 in a couple of months and look to wind down the drugs dose depending on my progress.

Your numbers are bad, but not so bad that just a change of diet wouldn't make Met and glic redundant... Up to you, of course. If you still eat a lot of carbs (and going by your numbers, you are), there's lots of room for improvement, but not with glic in the mix, because you'd hypo. As for the meter, most of us self-fund, as the strips provided often aren't enough for the bulk of us. (Especially in the beginning. It tapers off after a while.). So should you end up needing more strips than are provided, it might be an idea to get yourself an extra meter that won't break your bank. Just a thought for later on eh.

If you want, feel free to share what you usually eat/drink in a day... You might be surprised at what the problem areas are. I think you can get back into the normal range in about a week, honestly.

midiman

Your numbers are bad, but not so bad that just a change of diet wouldn't make Met and glic redundant... Up to you, of course. If you still eat a lot of carbs (and going by your numbers, you are), there's lots of room for improvement, but not with glic in the mix, because you'd hypo. As for the meter, most of us self-fund, as the strips provided often aren't enough for the bulk of us. (Especially in the beginning. It tapers off after a while.). So should you end up needing more strips than are provided, it might be an idea to get yourself an extra meter that won't break your bank. Just a thought for later on eh.

If you want, feel free to share what you usually eat/drink in a day... You might be surprised at what the problem areas are. I think you can get back into the normal range in about a week, honestly.

I am on a low carb diet.

For example this morning all that I have had morning is.

Breakfast
1 x Tesco Gammon Steak
2 x Eggs
1 x Coffee with Coconut Milk.

Lunch for today might be
2 x Pork Chops
1 x Egg
1 x Cup of tea

Tea might be.
2 x Burgers
4 x Turkey Sausages
1 x Cup of tea.

I am going to keep a diary with everything that is going on. But I have only been low carbing for around 2 weeks.

I have lost some weight but now will be the telling time since I have got the monitor to work and I can check my blood glucose levels on a regular basis.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on a low carb diet.

For example this morning all that I have had morning is.

Breakfast
1 x Tesco Gammon Steak
2 x Eggs
1 x Coffee with Coconut Milk.

Lunch for today might be
2 x Pork Chops
1 x Egg
1 x Cup of tea

Tea might be.
2 x Burgers
4 x Turkey Sausages
1 x Cup of tea.

I am going to keep a diary with everything that is going on. But I have only been low carbing for around 2 weeks.

I have lost some weight but now will be the telling time since I have got the monitor to work and I can check my blood glucose levels on a regular basis.
Looks good. Coconut milk might trip you up, depending on the brand (some put sugar in), but it does look decent... Turkey sausages depends entirely on the brand, as some put fillers (carbs) in to bulk it up, same with the burgers. But all in all... Looking pretty good to me. I'm not seeing any vegetables at all, is that correct? (They're not 100% necessary, but you might want to add in some liver and such, for the vitamins. ;) ). And, you could try Intermittent Fasting (skipping one or two meals, or fasting 2 days out of seven for instance). But not if you're using glic, and never take met on an empty stomach.

midiman

Looks good. Coconut milk might trip you up, depending on the brand (some put sugar in), but it does look decent... Turkey sausages depends entirely on the brand, as some put fillers (carbs) in to bulk it up, same with the burgers. But all in all... Looking pretty good to me. I'm not seeing any vegetables at all, is that correct? (They're not 100% necessary, but you might want to add in some liver and such, for the vitamins. ;) ). And, you could try Intermittent Fasting (skipping one or two meals, or fasting 2 days out of seven for instance). But not if you're using glic, and never take met on an empty stomach.

Hi Jo,

Yes that is the problem now. I feel that I might be overeating now, and I often feel like skipping a meal or two.

Taking the Glic means that I can't skip a meal and have to keep eating at all times.

It is still early days and therefore I am going to have to work out how to do this.

My regular clinician spoke to me yesterday and she said advised to keep doing what I am doing and,

1. Take one Glic and see if I can get it under double digits.
2. Take two Glics if I cant and see if I can get it under double digits.
3. Stop taking Glic altogether once I can get it at a good level and see if I can maintain it on Metaforim and diet alone.

I,m not eating veg because that will turn to Carbs but I might introduce some once I can get my levels slightly better.

I have to remember that I have only just become aware of what my blood level glucose score is. So at least now I will be able to adjust my food, and/or medication to see how it affects the readings over a period of time.

There is a booklet with the monitor that actually states asks you to record what you have been doing over the course of the day. i.e anything different than what you done on the previous day that could have made the reading go up or down. Like heavy exercise, or eating more food than normal etc..

I will take another reading before bed and compare it to yesterday. Once I have 2 weeks of data I will be able to have a better picture of how my diet, meds and exercise affect the score.

Then I can -
Maybe low my portions of food if I am overeating.
Skip a meal but not breakfast if I am overeating.
Add a bit more exercise.

That;s the plan and then I should be able to see what works for me.

Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The way that your diet is being ignored is very concerning - you are eating no carbs but your BG levels are still high - I can't see why you are still considered to be a type two diabetic - it just is not logical.
Anyone who was an ordinary type two would not see such high numbers on the diet you are following.
Surely Gliclazide should not be taken when on a low carb diet - doesn't it says so on the leaflet in the box - why would anyone advise taking more and more tablets in that circumstance?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo,

Yes that is the problem now. I feel that I might be overeating now, and I often feel like skipping a meal or two.

Taking the Glic means that I can't skip a meal and have to keep eating at all times.

It is still early days and therefore I am going to have to work out how to do this.

My regular clinician spoke to me yesterday and she said advised to keep doing what I am doing and,

1. Take one Glic and see if I can get it under double digits.
2. Take two Glics if I cant and see if I can get it under double digits.
3. Stop taking Glic altogether once I can get it at a good level and see if I can maintain it on Metaforim and diet alone.

I,m not eating veg because that will turn to Carbs but I might introduce some once I can get my levels slightly better.

I have to remember that I have only just become aware of what my blood level glucose score is. So at least now I will be able to adjust my food, and/or medication to see how it affects the readings over a period of time.

There is a booklet with the monitor that actually states asks you to record what you have been doing over the course of the day. i.e anything different than what you done on the previous day that could have made the reading go up or down. Like heavy exercise, or eating more food than normal etc..

I will take another reading before bed and compare it to yesterday. Once I have 2 weeks of data I will be able to have a better picture of how my diet, meds and exercise affect the score.

Then I can -
Maybe low my portions of food if I am overeating.
Skip a meal but not breakfast if I am overeating.
Add a bit more exercise.

That;s the plan and then I should be able to see what works for me.

Thanks
I'm with @resurgram here, though I'm not at home with LADA/1.5, T1 or Mody, it is something to consider by now.... Combining Glic with a low carb diet is dangerous. My own endo didn't even know it could give you hypo's, she thought I was being melodramatic. (Guess no-one ever reads the leaflets. I didn't make them up, my meter agreed that that was hat they were.). You could be overeating, but if your meats aren't stuffed with fillers, it would be useful to request two tests: C-Peptide and GAD. And eating carbs to accommodate something that lowers your glucose is a bit backwards... I dunno. There's something going awry somewhere. Don't let this go.

KesLouise

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I have a LADA/1.5 diagnosis and had a similar situation to you. Had I not moved county I fear I’d still be battling with a type 2 misdiagnosis and still be really unwell. I agree push forward for the tests mentioned, I was lucky the nurse where I am now decided to do them anyway as was still so unwell

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't want to be over dramatic - but it just doesn't square with the way my numbers changed when eating low carb - and after a lifetime of being the one who's read the manual, and heard 'take the tablets' a few times too often..... it needs another looking at.

midiman

I'm with @resurgram here, though I'm not at home with LADA/1.5, T1 or Mody, it is something to consider by now.... Combining Glic with a low carb diet is dangerous. My own endo didn't even know it could give you hypo's, she thought I was being melodramatic. (Guess no-one ever reads the leaflets. I didn't make them up, my meter agreed that that was hat they were.). You could be overeating, but if your meats aren't stuffed with fillers, it would be useful to request two tests: C-Peptide and GAD. And eating carbs to accommodate something that lowers your glucose is a bit backwards... I dunno. There's something going awry somewhere. Don't let this go.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply but I have been on a whirlwind learning curve and trying to work out how to use my bm machine and all this medication and diet tracking.

1. I ran out of lancets and strips for my meter so I had to speak to my surgery.
2. I managed to get my strips and lancets put on prescription.
3. I managed to work out how to use the machine and get some blood out of my arms as I was having problems with my fingers.
4. I started taking the Gliclazide in the mornings as advised.
5. I started a diary and I have been recording my results for the morning and the evenings.
6. I have lost a couple of lbs in body weight too.

My readings are below.
NR = Not recorded
NC = No consumables

diary.PNG

I think that I appear to be managing to keep under 10 now using
LCHF Diet, 4 x Metaformin and 1 x Gliclazide a day.

So things look a bit better. Just before I was diagnosed in Jan 2020, I was in A&E and I asked them to take a reading and that came out as 17.4mmol/L

Going forward -
I am going to stop taking the Gliclazide today tablet today and see if I can maintain single figures without out it. This was the advice from my nurse.

Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply but I have been on a whirlwind learning curve and trying to work out how to use my bm machine and all this medication and diet tracking.

1. I ran out of lancets and strips for my meter so I had to speak to my surgery.
2. I managed to get my strips and lancets put on prescription.
3. I managed to work out how to use the machine and get some blood out of my arms as I was having problems with my fingers.
4. I started taking the Gliclazide in the mornings as advised.
5. I started a diary and I have been recording my results for the morning and the evenings.
6. I have lost a couple of lbs in body weight too.

My readings are below.
NR = Not recorded
NC = No consumables

View attachment 41002

I think that I appear to be managing to keep under 10 now using
LCHF Diet, 4 x Metaformin and 1 x Gliclazide a day.

So things look a bit better. Just before I was diagnosed in Jan 2020, I was in A&E and I asked them to take a reading and that came out as 17.4mmol/L

Going forward -
I am going to stop taking the Gliclazide today tablet today and see if I can maintain single figures without out it. This was the advice from my nurse.

Thanks
Hope it'll all work out. Good luck!

midiman

Hope it'll all work out. Good luck!

Thanks for your help.

At least I know how to track my results with this monitor now and I wish that they have given it to me when they said that I was pre-diabetic in Jan 2019!!! Instead of just telling me to adjust my diet and let me get to the stage where I am now.

Now I can only do what I can and I just hope that it works.

I have a lot of issues with my eyes, wound that are not healing, and nerves that I am having to contend with because of this.

Thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your help.

At least I know how to track my results with this monitor now and I wish that they have given it to me when they said that I was pre-diabetic in Jan 2019!!! Instead of just telling me to adjust my diet and let me get to the stage where I am now.

Now I can only do what I can and I just hope that it works.

I have a lot of issues with my eyes, wound that are not healing, and nerves that I am having to contend with because of this.

Thanks
Those issues should resolve as your control gets ever better. Hold on to hope there eh.