Type 1 Lumps on injection site

Abby78910

Hi everyone,
I’m having a bit of trouble... I’ve had diabetes since I was 2 I’m now 20 years old. Probably 3 years a go now I noticed where I was injecting into my arms, there were huge lumps on them, I told my diabetes nurse and she said stop injecting there and they will go within a year. It’s now been 3 years and they’re still the same if not worse. I have added a photo. I’m under the impression it’s called lipohypertrophy? I’m still young so as you can imagine I go out with friends etc and I am so self conscious about my arms I don’t wear sleeveless tops and my arms hurt when I touch them.
I know this may sound stupid with everything going on at the moment but no matter what exercise or diet I try it won’t go. It really gets me down on top of everything else with my diabetes.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they know of anyway to make it smaller/ go away?
Thank you

Reactions: Miriam12345

EddieA12

Hi. I’ve read a few. Posts about this and the ‘should’ go away by them self, but it appears you have waited well past the recommended time. I saw a post the said liposuction can be used to remove them if they won’t go. I would recommend speaking to your GP or diabetic doctor about getting them sorted and removed. Good luck.

Reactions: Abby78910

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Abby78910 .
Sorry to hear that you’ve got those unsightly lumps from injecting.
If, after so many years of not injecting in the affected areas the lumps are still present then you’re only option maybe liposuction to remove the fatty build up under the skin.
Have you tried massaging the lumps on a regular basis? This maybe worth a try but I suspect it would need to be done extensively and on a regular basis for visible results.
Good luck.

Abby78910

@Abby78910 .
Sorry to hear that you’ve got those unsightly lumps from injecting.
If, after so many years of not injecting in the affected areas the lumps are still present then you’re only option maybe liposuction to remove the fatty build up under the skin.
Have you tried massaging the lumps on a regular basis? This maybe worth a try but I suspect it would need to be done extensively and on a regular basis for visible results.
Good luck.

hi thank you for your reply!! I thought this would be the solution! I have tried massaging the area, but will speak to GP when this is done!!
Thank you !

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there.

When I was a kid I was completely needle phobic (to some extent I still am, ironic!) And my stomach is full of lumps, and the only way I have been told that I can get rid of them is surgery (it's bad enough it is highly noticeable) - I haven't injected in my tummy since I was 16 and I am now 25.

In all honesty, I have just come to terms with, it is what it is attitude that works for me. Now I don't particularly want surgery anymore.

You could try bio oil, maybe. But it depends on the severity. Remember you will notice the lumps more than others.