Basal - Lantus

rebetic

How can i make sure that my long acting insulin is enough? I usually take 12 units of lantus as i weigh 110 pounds, at 5pm and eat at 6 after taking novorapid ofc and my sugar levels go up by 9pm-12am even tho they were ok after eating! 80 after dinner 190 or so at 9-12 like after dinner with 3 or 5 hours its really frustrating i just want to sleep then i dont want to correct and wait 2 hours to see if i’ll go low HELP ME GUYS what is this

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How can i make sure that my long acting insulin is enough? I usually take 12 units of lantus as i weigh 110 pounds, at 5pm and eat at 6 after taking novorapid ofc and my sugar levels go up by 9pm-12am even tho they were ok after eating! 80 after dinner 190 or so at 9-12 like after dinner with 3 or 5 hours its really frustrating i just want to sleep then i dont want to correct and wait 2 hours to see if i’ll go low HELP ME GUYS what is this

Hi @rebetic ,

You would need to basal test to find out if it is performing reasonably as a foundation before working out what's happening with your bolus for meals..
Here is a trusted site for info on this. https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Aditya Singh

Aditya Singh

Tell your fasting sugar...and if fasting and all pre meal reading are under control...then it means that your long acting insulin is enough.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Tell your fasting sugar...and if fasting and all pre meal reading are under control...then it means that your long acting insulin is enough.
Not quite as simple as that I'm afraid :( (mainly due to the fact the fast acting bolus is not entirely fast acting so can affect things for hours)
As Jaylee mentioned a basal test is needed to see if its right.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use my waking blood sugar to gauge whether my Lantus dose is correct.

I take it at ten in the evening with supper and depending on the waking reading will alter the dosage. The trend needs to continue over a week and if it's higher than I want, I'll adjust by one or two units and then wait for a few days to see what the effect is before making any other changes.

I find that the amount required can be affected by exercise and season change.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

"Test" the fasting sugar..? :) In reference to basal testing.?

Not quite as simple as that I'm afraid :( (mainly due to the fact the fast acting bolus is not entirely fast acting so can affect things for hours)
As Jaylee mentioned a basal test is needed to see if its right.

I feel our friend may have had a typo error..

(Edit, ironically for typo.)

Last edited:

rebetic

Hi @rebetic ,

You would need to basal test to find out if it is performing reasonably as a foundation before working out what's happening with your bolus for meals..
Here is a trusted site for info on this. https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

Hope this helps.

I did it and turns out im taking more than i need ~shocked~ I thought i had to take at least 18 since every type 1 diabetic i know take 20 or more even tho we weigh the same i guess. Then what was that spike for? maybe its because i ate a meal with a lot of fat? Dont know , i took 10u today i hope its not too little

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did it and turns out im taking more than i need ~shocked~ I thought i had to take at least 18 since every type 1 diabetic I know take 20 or more even tho we weigh the same i guess. little
The amount of basal should not really be based on weight, for instance I take less than that but definitely weigh more than 110lbs (and probably even more when the lockdown finally finishes)

Reactions: rebetic

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did it and turns out im taking more than i need ~shocked~ I thought i had to take at least 18 since every type 1 diabetic i know take 20 or more even tho we weigh the same i guess. Then what was that spike for? maybe its because i ate a meal with a lot of fat? Dont know , i took 10u today i hope its not too little

Hi,

No. They don't always get the maths right. I found my Lantus dose was half what I was initially advised..
I was snacking all the time to just feed it..

Never judge yourself by the next diabetic's "standard." :)

Aditya Singh

Lentus dose differ from person to person because of lifestyle they choose..

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Lentus dose differ from person to person because of lifestyle they choose..
Surely it’s not just lifestyle that influences basal needs. Admittedly, exercise seems to help our cells to accept an influx of glucose, but aren’t height, weight, gut bacteria, DNA and RNA, hormones, organ health and the time of year also an influence? Each individual is different, and each person’s basal needs are individually calculated.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, insulin requirements can also be affected by infections and other medication eg. cortisone which affects the liver and drives BS up massively. Other drugs may lower BS as a side-effect.