Relationships and diabetes

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know if this is just the relationships I hold but I wondered if this is the norm for others.

I don't know any diabetics, diabetes doesn't run in my family, but I am a type 1 diabetic.

None of my friends or previous partners have ever been very understanding when I have tried to discuss diabetes, or tried to express how I am feeling... I completely understand they can't understand as they do not have it.

Anyone else feel alone amongst relationships?

I have tried multiple ways of trying to talk about it, but none of them have seemed very engaged or supportive, which I completely understand.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
@Miriam12345 .... you're not alone in that regard. Not meaning me by any stretch but many others 'round your years have said similar on this forum. The shortcomings in their understanding are a sign of the maturity in yours.

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Mike. Yeah it's an odd thing, and because I don't know anyone else with the condition it's very difficult to way up what is the norm!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I’ve been on insulin for about 10 years... my partner has recently been put on insulin and awaiting testing to confirm whether T1 or T2 , but she has just come to realise how hard it can be to control and deal with. She has recently said its almost like a full time job... I had pleasure in pointing out she now knows what it’s been like for me the last 10 years... but at least we can now sit and talk about it and we both understand

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know if this is just the relationships I hold but I wondered if this is the norm for others.

I don't know any diabetics, diabetes doesn't run in my family, but I am a type 1 diabetic.

None of my friends or previous partners have ever been very understanding when I have tried to discuss diabetes, or tried to express how I am feeling... I completely understand they can't understand as they do not have it.

I have tried multiple ways of trying to talk about it, but none of them have seemed very engaged or supportive, which I completely understand.
Yes. As a type 1 you are in the 1% club and even with type 2 most people don't have a tee shirt announcing this either!
I find that nobobdy gets it if they are not living with it so when I did my DAFNE course 12 years ago it was such a relief to share our diabetes stories with the group. \We've since set up a pub meet up and barring the current situation, it is a relief to compare notes on pumps, meters and fsls OR all jab/pump/test/cure hypos/moan about hypers together.
\Outside this goup there is either complete disinterest, morbid curiosity or a desire ot offer simplistic solutions. It is enough to know that my fiends and family love me and support me to then accept that I am on my own with this until I get onto this forum or go to the diab pub meet up !
Hope you cna find some local peers perhaps via Diabetes UK? (I am on a committee but then again I am old).

MarkHaZ123

If they aren't interested then they just aren't worth the time to be honest.
Someone should always accept you for what and who you are and take an interest.

My partner read up about things and talked to me about it. She has the libre link up app and checks my bloods now and again and questions if they are high or low. She gets books for better eating so we try new things all the time. She even tells me when tea is 10 minutes off so I can check bloods and take insulin

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. As a type 1 you are in the 1% club and even with type 2 most people don't have a tee shirt announcing this either!
I find that nobobdy gets it if they are not living with it so when I did my DAFNE course 12 years ago it was such a relief to share our diabetes stories with the group. \We've since set up a pub meet up and barring the current situation, it is a relief to compare notes on pumps, meters and fsls OR all jab/pump/test/cure hypos/moan about hypers together.
\Outside this goup there is either complete disinterest, morbid curiosity or a desire ot offer simplistic solutions. It is enough to know that my fiends and family love me and support me to then accept that I am on my own with this until I get onto this forum or go to the diab pub meet up !
Hope you cna find some local peers perhaps via Diabetes UK? (I am on a committee but then again I am old).
I went to a Dafne group, but it wasnt the sort of group to chat and meet up again... This is why I have joined a couple of forums thanks for the advice though, most of my friends are older than me late 30's/40's age is just a number

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's so lovely! Bless her.
If they aren't interested then they just aren't worth the time to be honest.
Someone should always accept you for what and who you are and take an interest.

My partner read up about things and talked to me about it. She has the libre link up app and checks my bloods now and again and questions if they are high or low. She gets books for better eating so we try new things all the time. She even tells me when tea is 10 minutes off so I can check bloods and take insulin

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

My wife of 37 years was the first girlfriend to show a full interest and reliable responsibility, a major contribution in my estimation. I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: Miriam12345