Need advice, must I take Metformin straight away???

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If Metformin only has a small affect on BS levels, why is it so widely prescribed? I am taking it & the nurses keep trying to increase it but on the odd occasions when I forget to take it(I`m still new to all this & have never had any medication for years!) I see no change in my BS results at all.
Metformin is supposed to be given to people who have tried diet first for 3 months, and diet-only not having enough effect. Seems like no-one (and I mean doctors and nurses) bother to read that bit of the leaflet though. Metformin reduces the glucose the liver dumps in the morning or in times of physical/mental stress, but it doesn't do anything about what you ingest, carb-wise. Which might explain why you don't see all that much difference in BS results... If you don't change your diet, Met doesn't make all that much of a dent. (and when you do change your diet, you possibly won't even need it to, anymore.)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I continue to take Metformin even after 2 and half years of non-diabetic HbA1cs, I understand it’s action to be limiting the amount of Glucose dumped by the liver and it also helps with the efficiency of insulin uptake. I believe it helped with my weight loss too by reducing my appetite. I tolerate it well and after regular discussion with my GP I’m happy to continue on it.
I absolutely don’t rely on it as my only means of control, I eat low carb, less than 45g per day.
Here’s some more info on Metformin for those that are trying to decide whether to take it or not.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/metformin-factsheet.html
https://www.everydayhealth.com/type...ts-why-they-likely-go-beyond-type-2-diabetes/

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, yes exactly I need to realise it's my choice and responsibility. I feel like 1 month is too little time. She was also against intermittent fasting and lowcarb....go figure...
You seem to have met one of the dinosaurs. IF and low carb worked for me - 50 to 36 in 12 weeks. Looks like it works for you too, so stick at it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started at Hba1c of 91, was 47 at the first retest, 41 at six months. I suspect you will go back to the nurse and find her totally baffled - or totally in denial that you were ever diabetic.

Glyko

Thanks for all the replies!
I'm going back to the nurse in 5th of May, she will probably check my bloodglucose (I hope at least) but I'm primarily going for checking blood pressure. My blood pressure is too high, so I'll be started on meds for that as well.

I was given a new glucometer and it shows a bloodglucose of 5,5 - 6,5 , I will check what my fasting bloodglucose is tomorrow. But in office my bloodglucose was in the 7s. I don't know how accurate this meter is (Contour next one). I guess it's only for screening....

Glyko

I started at Hba1c of 91, was 47 at the first retest, 41 at six months. I suspect you will go back to the nurse and find her totally baffled - or totally in denial that you were ever diabetic.
I really hope so! I hope the progress continues!

Glyko

You seem to have met one of the dinosaurs. IF and low carb worked for me - 50 to 36 in 12 weeks. Looks like it works for you too, so stick at it.
Happy it worked well for you! I still have a hard time keeping track of how much carbs I eat....I just eyeball everything

Glyko

I continue to take Metformin even after 2 and half years of non-diabetic HbA1cs, I understand it’s action to be limiting the amount of Glucose dumped by the liver and it also helps with the efficiency of insulin uptake. I believe it helped with my weight loss too by reducing my appetite. I tolerate it well and after regular discussion with my GP I’m happy to continue on it.
I absolutely don’t rely on it as my only means of control, I eat low carb, less than 45g per day.
Here’s some more info on Metformin for those that are trying to decide whether to take it or not.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/metformin-factsheet.html
https://www.everydayhealth.com/type...ts-why-they-likely-go-beyond-type-2-diabetes/
Thanks a lot for all info!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies!
I'm going back to the nurse in 5th of May, she will probably check my bloodglucose (I hope at least) but I'm primarily going for checking blood pressure. My blood pressure is too high, so I'll be started on meds for that as well.

I was given a new glucometer and it shows a bloodglucose of 5,5 - 6,5 , I will check what my fasting bloodglucose is tomorrow. But in office my bloodglucose was in the 7s. I don't know how accurate this meter is (Contour next one). I guess it's only for screening....
If she did a fingerprick in the office it will be on meter much like yours at home. The count our next one is one of the ones with the smallest margin of error according to the manufacturers. So you readings are doing well and improving

D

Deleted member 308541

The way I looked at taking Metformin, the quicker I started taking them, the quicker I could stop with my GP's permission once I got my T2 under control. I have now been off them for over a year.

Glyko

The way I looked at taking Metformin, the quicker I started taking them, the quicker I could stop with my GP's permission once I got my T2 under control. I have now been off them for over a year.
I've always wondered about that...
How did the GP take it when you said you wanted off the med? I don't think I'll ever get off it once I'm on it....

Glyko

If she did a fingerprick in the office it will be on meter much like yours at home. The count our next one is one of the ones with the smallest margin of error according to the manufacturers. So you readings are doing well and improving
I hope so. I tested with Freestyle freedom lite 2 weeks ago and it was in the 7s... I just have to wait and see

D

Deleted member 308541

How did the GP take it when you said you wanted off the med? I don't think I'll ever get off it once I'm on it....
I asked when I had a string of hba1c results in the mid 30 mmol/mol range, he said cut the dosage in half at first. At the next hba1c test he said I could cut them out completely.

He did not have a problem with it.