Basal change from Levermir to Lantus

Suziesu

Hi Everyone... I am new here and am currently living in Egypt due to lack of imported meds I am now unable to find Levermir. I was taking 16u twuce 12am and 12pm.Local Doctor told me the alternative is to take Lantus 30u at midnight. I am afraid to do this at night in case of a reaction or something goes wrong. Does anyone know how to work out how much Lantus I should take please? Am i correct in saying Lantus is very slow to work and thats why it is taken at night?
Appreciate any help am new here Type 1 diabetic. Thanks for any help.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Hi first thing is don’t be afraid, I actually went the other way from Lanctus to Levimir , I was on 28 units of Lanctus but then took 14 units of Levimir am and pm , so your figures sounds reasonable. Lanctus lasts a lot longer than Levimir so you take one at night , it kicks in in the morning and helps give you a “ base level “ of insulin through the day while your awake ,
It’s worth increasing your testing for a while just to see how your body is with the new insulin , I’m sure it’ll be fine with nothing to worry about ,
Stay safe take care

Reactions: Suziesu

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also switched the other way, from Lantus to Levemir. I had already been splitting my Lantus into am and pm, and have also found I need approximately the same number of total daily units with Levemir.

Suziesu

Hi first thing is don’t be afraid, I actually went the other way from Lanctus to Levimir , I was on 28 units of Lanctus but then took 14 units of Levimir am and pm , so your figures sounds reasonable. Lanctus lasts a lot longer than Levimir so you take one at night , it kicks in in the morning and helps give you a “ base level “ of insulin through the day while your awake ,
It’s worth increasing your testing for a while just to see how your body is with the new insulin , I’m sure it’ll be fine with nothing to worry about ,
Stay safe take care
Thank you very much for your reassurance. and advice.much appreciated

Suziesu

I also switched the other way, from Lantus to Levemir. I had already been splitting my Lantus into am and pm, and have also found I need approximately the same number of total daily units with Levemir.
Thank you very much for your confirmation its reassuring to know