Suspected Covid19 with long lingering symptoms

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I caught what I strongly suspect was Covid19, starting in early March, and am still struggling with continued symptoms.
I've seen the other long running Covid comorbidity thread, but was hoping to connect specifically with other diabetics who have had it (confirmed or suspected).
A bit of background - I'm 38, male, T1 since 15, on MDI and monitoring with a Libre. My HbA1c has been between 49 and 55 for the last few years. Until I got sick recently I would lift weights 5-6 times a week.

My symptoms started mild with a sort of tickle in the back of my throat, feeling like a drop of liquid that wouldn't go away when I swallowed or coughed. This went away over about a week and I felt fine, then I started getting other symptoms - a sore throat that worked its way down until my lungs felt hot and sore, pounding heart even when resting, and shortness of breath (I could breathe all the way in and out easily, but still felt I wasn't getting enough oxygen). I never really had a bad cough. There were a few points where I felt feverish, and I got night-sweats, but I never measured a temperature above 37.9. My insulin requirements went crazy for a few days, and I was injecting a few units every hour to keep my sugars from climbing.
It got pretty scary about 4 days into these symptoms, as the shortness of breath was getting worse so I couldn't sleep, and I was almost ready to call an ambulance at a couple of points.
Then it quite quickly got significantly better though, I got a decent night's sleep, and felt well on the mend for a day... then it came back, not quite as bad as the peak, but still pretty rough. This yo-yo has continued ever since (well over a month now). I sometimes feel almost completely fine for a day or 2 (as long as I don't do anything strenuous), then symptoms return for a day or 2, and so on...

It's never got as bad as that first peak, and the overall trend did seem to be decreasing severity and duration of these waves, but not in a steady way, and since last night I'm experiencing one of the worst waves I've had in a while, which has prompted me to post this.
I don't know if I'm still actually infected, or if these are just after-effects as lung damage is being slowly repaired, or micro blood clots or something else. It's just really frustrating to not have shaken this off yet, and there not seeming to be much I can do about it (I'm doing the usual stuff - hydrating lots, avoiding strenuous exercise, eating healthy, taking a multivit plus extra C, D and Zinc).

Anyone else experiencing something similar?