Why is it not working for me?

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Thanks. The only thing so far to out me up to12was aforesaid chocolate biscuits. There's nothing else seem to raise me especially, it seems to be a continuous creep upwards
I am loath to add in more exercise as that just makes me hungrier. I find I have to eat before a session or I get shaky and tired, and am always ravenous after. I dont want to increase quantity of food as I know I am taking in more calories in the form of fat tha I used to.
You seem to be doing the right things. My advice would be to see your doctor. Despite all our efforts, diabetes is sometimes a progressive condition and it could be that you need some medication to support your efforts. The important thing is not to worry. Your numbers are not cause for alarm and stress doesn't help. Even if the doctor suggests medication, it doesn't mean that you have to give up on diet and exercise. Plenty of people have gone onto meds and then come off again as they get better at controlling their BG through diet and exercise. Remember, beating diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint.

Reactions: Geordie_P and MrsA2

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
" I dont want to increase quantity of food as I know I am taking in more calories in the form of fat than I used to"

Have you calculated how many calories you are getting a day?
Its quite possible you are not getting enough if you are still thinking of fat as bad for you.
Oldvatr has previously commented about the amount of fat in your diet, questioning if it is sufficient for your needs.
A calorie count for a day should tell you.
Wishing you well on your journey to better health and please checkout the recipe section. Lowcarb does not have to be boring.

Reactions: HSSS

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit more depressed with this whole Covid malarkey, but nothing else.

When trying to lose weight in the past it has always followed this pattern of initial good loss that rapidly plateaus and then won't budge. I am exercising more and eating less than I was 5 or even 10 years ago and I was so hopeful this low carb was the answer to the rest of my life but seems my body only reacts by laying down more fat each time. I have been so good since Christmas and would like to see some results. I don't know what my previous levels were and work so hard to keep current levels.

In the past I have said my body wants me to exercise 8 hours a day and eat nothing and won't be happy until it's forced me to that. Unfortuanlty my brain wants a more balanced life

I say maybe try going down to 2 meals a day in a reduced window.. so bfast and lunch or lunch and dinner. Eat larger meals but only twice with no snacking. A 16-8 fast (fast for 16 hours and only eat in an 8 hour window or ideally even smaller window.
This will trigger insulin production less often which you may find helps. This is where you find higher fat meals will provide satiety. I tend not to eat before 2 pm with only coffee with cream in the mornings. Then have a large dinner.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I love the idea of "unavoidable chocolate biscuits"!
Yes, it sounds like a warning on a road sign or something, lol.

On a more sensible note, I think the original poster is doing quite well. Weight can be hard to shift. Maybe keep a food diary, monitor the situation and check for hidden carbs in fruit and suchlike. If that doesn't work, then maybe look into other options like medication.

Last edited:

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find I have to eat before a session or I get shaky and tired, and am always ravenous after. I dont want to increase quantity of food as I know I am taking in more calories in the form of fat tha I used to.
I have been on keto since the beginning of Dec and recently took up the cycling. The first time I went I managed to fall off (don’t ask!) and it took a couple of minutes before my legs had enough strength to lever me back to my feet! Second time, l completely ran out of fuel while attempting to pedal up a tiny incline - not breath, but muscle energy. “Bonking”, I believe cyclists call it!

This was a tad concerning as you can imagine. However, I have managed to overcome this - I am no expert on the metabolic process but it seemed to me that my body might need a little more time to mobilise the fat stores rather than using the carbs which used to be freely swimming around in my bloodstream. I also believe that water is critical for a lot of metabolic processes. So now I make sure I am hydrated before I start and keep hydrated even on a little local bike pootle. And I also make sure I have warmed up with some gradually increasing effort before asking my legs to take me up something really challenging like a short, gentle incline... :cat:

Anyway, upshot is, provided I do these two things I don’t have any issues. I don’t need to eat before exercise, not even for an early morning outing, nor am I starving afterwards. Just wondering if this approach might also help you?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on keto since the beginning of Dec and recently took up the cycling. The first time I went I managed to fall off (don’t ask!) and it took a couple of minutes before my legs had enough strength to lever me back to my feet! Second time, l completely ran out of fuel while attempting to pedal up a tiny incline - not breath, but muscle energy. “Bonking”, I believe cyclists call it!

This was a tad concerning as you can imagine. However, I have managed to overcome this - I am no expert on the metabolic process but it seemed to me that my body might need a little more time to mobilise the fat stores rather than using the carbs which used to be freely swimming around in my bloodstream. I also believe that water is critical for a lot of metabolic processes. So now I make sure I am hydrated before I start and keep hydrated even on a little local bike pootle. And I also make sure I have warmed up with some gradually increasing effort before asking my legs to take me up something really challenging like a short, gentle incline... :cat:

Anyway, upshot is, provided I do these two things I don’t have any issues. I don’t need to eat before exercise, not even for an early morning outing, nor am I starving afterwards. Just wondering if this approach might also help you?

hi @TeddyTottie

I know this is off topic for this thread (apologies to @MrsA2 ) but you may find The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by Voleck and Phinney an interesting read, since it covers your cycling experiences and gives some really good advice and timescales and long term expectations for physical performance on low carb. Interesting stuff.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi @TeddyTottie

I know this is off topic for this thread (apologies to @MrsA2 ) but you may find The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by Voleck and Phinney an interesting read, since it covers your cycling experiences and gives some really good advice and timescales and long term expectations for physical performance on low carb. Interesting stuff.
Thank you @Brunneria, that is massively helpful. I know that there are serious athletes who compete on keto diets and suspected I must have something a bit out of whack in my diet, I have stuck it in my amazon basket!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update
Thank you all.
I started weighing things and keeping a more detailed food diary. As a result I have cut carbs from fruit, and added more fat
I have also cut down to two meals a day and bought some keto testing strips which show I am in ketosis.
Am avoiding the scales while I give these changes time to take effect.
Bg still up a bit but trying to be patient