High blood glucose and B.P

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is the connection between high glucose levels and blood pressure? Do high glucose levels result in increasing blood pressure readings? Please can experienced people in this forum give some guidance.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
IMO, yep @SZB2357 ... a correlation between the two and the link is primarily anxiety. But a very good question :)

Reactions: ianpspurs

Suz2

What is the connection between high glucose levels and blood pressure? Do high glucose levels result in increasing blood pressure readings? Please can experienced people in this forum give some guidance.

Hi, diabetic for over 40 years and a proud, but retired member of the healthcare community, working in admin most of the time. There is a correlation between high blood sugars (BS) and high blood pressure, also between high BS and eye problems, and high BS and kidney damage. In fact, there is a correlation between high BS and the damage that is often found in diabetic patients.

The high BS sugar makes your capillaries and small vessels harden. in short:
High glucose levels reduce the levels of the powerful vasodilator nitric oxide in blood vessels, a shortfall that increases the risk of high blood pressure and eventually narrows down the vessels. From: http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/how-high-blood-sugars-damage-blood-vessels/

The damage can happen to ANY of your blood vessels. This is what leads to blindness, kidney failure, loss of circulation in the extremities, etc. The damage is cumulative-over time- and your body can repair some of the damage with good BS control and management.

I was diagnosed when I was 27 years old and have neuropathy in my hands and feet, a different but related problem. I just had my first stent at 62. All in all, not a bad record for a diabetic with over 30 years with this disease.

Take care of your blood sugars and protect yourself!

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, diabetic for over 40 years and a proud, but retired member of the healthcare community, working in admin most of the time. There is a correlation between high blood sugars (BS) and high blood pressure, also between high BS and eye problems, and high BS and kidney damage. In fact, there is a correlation between high BS and the damage that is often found in diabetic patients.

The high BS sugar makes your capillaries and small vessels harden. in short:
High glucose levels reduce the levels of the powerful vasodilator nitric oxide in blood vessels, a shortfall that increases the risk of high blood pressure and eventually narrows down the vessels. From: http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/how-high-blood-sugars-damage-blood-vessels/

The damage can happen to ANY of your blood vessels. This is what leads to blindness, kidney failure, loss of circulation in the extremities, etc. The damage is cumulative-over time- and your body can repair some of the damage with good BS control and management.

I was diagnosed when I was 27 years old and have neuropathy in my hands and feet, a different but related problem. I just had my first stent at 62. All in all, not a bad record for a diabetic with over 30 years with this disease.

Take care of your blood sugars and protect yourself!

Many thanks for your detailed response. However in my case I was first diagnosed as hypertensive and am on BP medicines from the last 20 years, and recently diagnosed T2 for which prescribed only Metformin 500 mg x 3 per day. My T2 is in control after I lost 12 kg weight in the last 2 years along with Metformin ....I am hoping that this will in turn bring my BP level down so that medicines can be reduced in consultation with my doctor.

Reactions: Suz2

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I was diagnosed with high blood pressure 30 year ago and put on medication. About 25 years ago it was noticed my cholesterol was raised and I was put on a statin. About 20 years ago I became borderline type 2 and 6 years ago this moved to confirmed type 2. In my case I think the link between high blood pressure and high blood sugar was the introduction of the statin for the cholesterol...…..

Reactions: Allexandro

Suz2

Many thanks for your detailed response. However in my case I was first diagnosed as hypertensive and am on BP medicines from the last 20 years, and recently diagnosed T2 for which prescribed only Metformin 500 mg x 3 per day. My T2 is in control after I lost 12 kg weight in the last 2 years along with Metformin ....I am hoping that this will in turn bring my BP level down so that medicines can be reduced in consultation with my doctor.
You have taken all the right steps to manage your BP. I hope you are fantastically successful! Take care of yourself

Edited by moderator to remove inappropriate content

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You have taken all the right steps to manage your BP. I hope you are fantastically successful! Take care of yourself

From where did you draw that conclusion?

Quoted text edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

84green

Hi
I can’t speak to the connection and suspect there will be differing answers. I have had high BP for several years and been Type 2 since 2016. In January I was diagnosed with minimal/mild coronary artery blockages. I have never had high cholesterol and suspect that my CAD is linked to my BP and diabetes (plus family history and stress).

Since January I have followed a low carb diet, exercised most days and lost over four stone. My HbA1c has gone from 56 to 38 (metformin reduced by 50%) and my BP this morning was 112/68 (with meds - that I am hoping to eventually eliminate with more weight loss).

The most important thing is that your conditions are controlled (either with or without medication).

It seems that you are doing all the right things to achieve normal BP and BG levels and have already made excellent progress. Keep on doing this and the connection becomes less relevant to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shahnaz2357

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I can’t speak to the connection and suspect there will be differing answers. I have had high BP for several years and been Type 2 since 2016. In January I was diagnosed with minimal/mild coronary artery blockages. I have never had high cholesterol and suspect that my CAD is linked to my BP and diabetes (plus family history and stress).

Since January I have followed a low carb diet, exercised most days and lost over four stone. My HbA1c has gone from 56 to 38 (metformin reduced by 50%) and my BP this morning was 112/68 (with meds - that I am hoping to eventually eliminate with more weight loss).

The most important thing is that your conditions are controlled (either with or without medication).

It seems that you are doing all the right things to achieve normal BP and BG levels and have already made excellent progress. Keep on doing this and the connection becomes less relevant to you.

Thanks for your encouragement.