Buying from shop

mancunian61

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I've lurked around the site for some time now but I've just been 'upgraded' to taking insulin in the last week, so I've been reading the site a lot more and I'm sorry if I've post this in the wrong part of the forum.

My question is why is so much available in the shop ie pens, needles etc when, as far as I can tell, all of this is supplied by the NHS?

I'm just curious as to why this is so?

Thanks for your comments :)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
To my knowledge, they are sold in shops because like me being type 2 and not on Insulin, I have to buy my own meter, lancets and strips. To any of us they self fund would love to get these on prescription but there just in, t the money for the nhs to pay.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I so wish I didn’t have to self fund. Acting on the info I get from self testing, I’m potentially saving the NHS so much money in the future by working to avoid complications

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I've lurked around the site for some time now but I've just been 'upgraded' to taking insulin in the last week, so I've been reading the site a lot more and I'm sorry if I've post this in the wrong part of the forum.

My question is why is so much available in the shop ie pens, needles etc when, as far as I can tell, all of this is supplied by the NHS?

I'm just curious as to why this is so?

Thanks for your comments :)

Hi there Mancunian61 - Some people like to keep spares, and some don't always have spares (like pens) supplied without a bit of a battle.

As you say we are so incredibly fortunate that the NHS supply most diabetic supplies, free of charge. As others have also stated, T2s who are not taking medications to treat their diabtes must self-fund for testing and the like.

As you already gatheres, nobody has to buy anything from the shop. Those using it do so by choice.

Welcome to the forum. I hope your transition to insulin runs smoothly, but there are plenty of people who have already walked your path, should you require some support.

mancunian61

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies, I hadn't realised quite how much the differences between NHS Trusts were for giving test strips etc, I seemed to have been fortunate in the past when only on tablet medication :)

Mrs_A_Wrinkly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just purchased a set of 2 face masks and some handsanitiser. The quality of the face masses was very poor and unsuitable, the metal strip fell off even before I tried it on. The price of £19.99 made me imagine that these items were going to be far better quality than they are. They are not worth the cost at all. I feel taken advantage off.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have just purchased a set of 2 face masks and some handsanitiser. The quality of the face masses was very poor and unsuitable, the metal strip fell off even before I tried it on. The price of £19.99 made me imagine that these items were going to be far better quality than they are. They are not worth the cost at all. I feel taken advantage off.

This forum is a seperate entity to the commercial side of DCUK. If you are not happy with your purchase then you should exercise your statutory rights and complain to the vendor, but there is nothing that we can do that will directly help you.

This page tells you how to return faulty or unwanted items.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/shop/shipping-returns