Diabetes Meds

GiriV

I am type 2 diabetic and not heavy eater and vegetarian.
on Metformin 1000mg + Vildagliptin 50mg + Glimepiride 2mg + Voglibose 0.2 mg before breakfast and I am getting excellent post lunch number 120-140....I take Metformin 500mg + Glimepiride 2mg before dinner and my fasting numbers are on high side 140-165 always.... tried reducing Glimepiride to 1mg nothing helps....can’t get good fasting numbers.
Also, is afternoon tablet required for diabetics?
Appreciate your help. Regards

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 diabetic and not heavy eater and vegetarian.
on Metformin 1000mg + Vildagliptin 50mg + Glimepiride 2mg + Voglibose 0.2 mg before breakfast and I am getting excellent post lunch number 120-140....I take Metformin 500mg + Glimepiride 2mg before dinner and my fasting numbers are on high side 140-165 always.... tried reducing Glimepiride to 1mg nothing helps....can’t get good fasting numbers.
Also, is afternoon tablet required for diabetics?
Appreciate your help. Regards

It's not about whether you're a heavy eater or not, but whether you eat a lot of carbohydrates. And most vegetarians and vegans do. (Alas, the lowest carb foods come with or from something with a face). Your numbers are relatively good.... A bit high sometimes, but considering the amount of medication you need to have those numbers, I think it may be a good idea to overhaul your diet. You'd be able to cut some of the medication, as it ia s a lot and there's a finite amount of medication one can take before moving on to unsulin. It IS possible to go low carb (as all carbs turn to glucose once ingested, so it's not just about sugars, but plant-based starches too), and stick with a vegetarian diet. Mind you though, if you do go low carb, the medication you're on WILL cause hypo's, so you'd need to test a whole lot, keep fast sugar on hand in case of emergency, and if at all possible, find a medical practitioner who'll help you adjust doses as you go.

"Is afternoon tablet required for diabetics" is something none of us can answer properly... We're all different. My HbA1c was very high when I was diagnosed, now it is in the normal range without any medication, purely because I cut almost all carbohydrates out of my diet. If I hadn't, maybe I'd be in the same boat as you, or on insulin already. (Probably the latter.)

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html ,-- this might help, though I am an omnivore, so do excuse all the foods you're adverse to. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/vegetarian-diet-forum.71/ is the vegetarian part of the forum, they could help you out.

Good luck!
Jo

GiriV

thanks Jo for your reply, appreciate it. need to cut on carbs as rice or wheat with dal or lentils is main diet for me.
What are best low carb diet for vegetarian like me? Any book or url

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks Jo for your reply, appreciate it. need to cut on carbs as rice or wheat with dal or lentils is main diet for me.
What are best low carb diet for vegetarian like me? Any book or url
Rachox beat me to it. :) But yeah, it can be done. And get ready to adore cauliflower rice. (Goes well with cheese and whatever herbs or spices you fancy).

Reactions: Rachox