What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - just a few minutes ago - 2 pork sausages and some tomatoes.

I was intending to make soup again for lunch but I'm very short of vegetables at present. Only have butternut squash, onions and celeriac - apart from tomatoes and some green leafy things in the fridge and freezer. Probably manage something with that.

Evening meal - Making some smoked mackerel pate and will have that with some pickled cucumber, which I made yesterday, and some more tomatoes.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Mr C thinks he'll be recalled back to work next Sunday. I'll miss him when he goes back obvs but he's a bit like a caged tiger at the moment, he's having to constantly be doing something, which would be okay if he'd just tell me when he does something like painting the banister rail (I'll never get the paint out of my favourite denim skirt and Jack, the black Lab, looks a bit weird with a white stripe across his nose.) The dogs are exhausted because, in their opinion, he obviously helps needs constant doggy supervision.

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers
Lunch: Actimel and the last of the Lidl Dolce Gorgonzola
Dinner: Veg and butter bean bake - cauliflower, celeriac, aubergine, peppers, fennel, red onion, butter beans, garlic cloves and green pesto

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb & @Goonergal - weirdly I like a crispy skin on sea bass but not salmon. No idea why. Bed 6.4 FBG 7.2. Still sitting a bit higher than normal. Today has been taken up with shopping and delivering and haircuts. Morrisons order arrived and not too bad with missing items plus the subs were really good. A quick trip to the local Tesco got the last missing items. Hubby's haircut is also done. I thought it wise to start with the largest guard and come down gradually. He's not exactly got the thickest hair so I thought care was called for. He's actually pleased with it! Certainly not as short as my hairdresser takes it but the neckline is straight and he admits I've been very tidy.
B. TAG and a slice of skinny bread with Dairylea triangle.
L. Nothing doing the rounds with the shopping.
D. My shellfish all arrived so I'll be having scallops nice and simple with a bit black pudding and salad of lettuce, tomato and avocado. Got a Skyr yoghurt as well which I'll have later.

Reactions: Chook

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
Today started with the usual black coffee and a dose of guilt as I’d promised to make Mr C some sandwiches last night to take for today’s lunch. I forgot. I texted him to say sorry but he said don’t worry someone made him one. Further questioning revealed he’d stopped his bin lorry at a little village newsagent hoping to buy a pasty or pork pie - none available but a customer had overheard him and when Mr C arrived to pick up this chap’s recycling he was there waiting with a sandwich for him! Isn’t that the loveliest thing? ( Mr C doesn’t eat lc luckily)
Lunch was a bacon and cheese 90 second bread sandwich fried in butter, then 5 HC buttons. Then 2 more.
Dinner will be tuna bake aka https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-tuna-casserole with spinach and possibly a glass of wine.
@Goonergal I drank a lot of your iced water with lime and pink salt today - very refreshing indeed. I used my fizzy soda stream water.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr C thinks he'll be recalled back to work next Sunday. I'll miss him when he goes back obvs but he's a bit like a caged tiger at the moment, he's having to constantly be doing something, which would be okay if he'd just tell me when he does something like painting the banister rail (I'll never get the paint out of my favourite denim skirt and Jack, the black Lab, looks a bit weird with a white stripe across his nose.) The dogs are exhausted because, in their opinion, he obviously helps needs constant doggy supervision.

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Burgen soldiers
Lunch: Actimel and the last of the Lidl Dolce Gorgonzola
Dinner: Veg and butter bean bake - cauliflower, celeriac, aubergine, peppers, fennel, red onion, butter beans, garlic cloves and green pesto

Your black lab with a white stripe did make me laugh. Good thing dogs don’t get embarrassed. ( sorry about your clothes getting ruined though)

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@maglil55 my BG is still off too, but running about 1 mmol higher than normal rather than 2 or 3 as it has been for a while. I’ve been very strict with what I’ve eaten for a good couple of weeks, so am now 100% confident that the higher numbers are not due to what I’m eating, but the virus.
@DJC3 glad you enjoyed the iced water
@Chook I also chuckled at the striped Labrador

Wet all day here but managed to get out for a couple of hours while the rain had eased off for a very enjoyable walk to and in Greenwich Park.

Two opportunistic shopping trips too - the small M&S simply food in Greenwich was open with no queue. Headed in looking for kippers and whipped creamy cheese. They had neither but I picked up some cream and rollitos. Then Waitrose a bit closer to home also had no queue. Ideal opportunity to address the lack of short rib in stock. Meat counter was open too so added a large Barnsley chop and a few odds and ends. Forgot sausages though.

Two meals. Lunch of chicken thighs coated with ground pork crunch, Parmesan and pink Himalayan salt. Used egg mixed with some of the leftover lemon butter to hold it together. Air fried. Yum.

Dinner was a mince/onion/egg and cheesy mess. Very tasty and reckon it cost about £1. Who says carnivore needs to be expensive?

D8FFC94C-4ED5-4964-B530-5FFDF0C46E39.jpeg
1647D322-B269-4B61-93E6-0E14A5F12C4A.jpeg

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@maglil55 my BG is still off too, but running about 1 mmol higher than normal rather than 2 or 3 as it has been for a while. I’ve been very strict with what I’ve eaten for a good couple of weeks, so am now 100% confident that the higher numbers are not due to what I’m eating, but the virus.
@DJC3 glad you enjoyed the iced water
@Chook I also chuckled at the striped Labrador

Wet all day here but managed to get out for a couple of hours while the rain had eased off for a very enjoyable walk to and in Greenwich Park.

Two opportunistic shopping trips too - the small M&S simply food in Greenwich was open with no queue. Headed in looking for kippers and whipped creamy cheese. They had neither but I picked up some cream and rollitos. Then Waitrose a bit closer to home also had no queue. Ideal opportunity to address the lack of short rib in stock. Meat counter was open too so added a large Barnsley chop and a few odds and ends. Forgot sausages though.

Two meals. Lunch of chicken thighs coated with ground pork crunch, Parmesan and pink Himalayan salt. Used egg mixed with some of the leftover lemon butter to hold it together. Air fried. Yum.

Dinner was a mince/onion/egg and cheesy mess. Very tasty and reckon it cost about £1. Who says carnivore needs to be expensive?

View attachment 40852 View attachment 40853
Not so sure about that, just finished off a T Bone steak, a bit like the one you had the other day, which at £15 semed a bit pricey to me, can't affor d to go carnivor yet :) .

Reactions: Annb

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

B: low carb hot choc made with some of my Green and Black’s Easter Egg. V chuffed I still have some left, and plenty more for several days.
L: pad thai beef
D: chicken stir fry in lime and chilli with some of those zero noodle things (found in back of cupboard). I now feel like a beached whale. Those noodles are bulky!

masses of work today. Very tired now, so looking forward to an early night.

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was one of my homemade low carb almond flour biscuits and a cup of coffee with double cream.

Lunch was scrambled egg, tomato and bacon.

Main meal was 3 x Sainsbury’s lamb kebabs, beetroot salad leaves, tomato, feta cheese and cheddar cheese. Plus, a bit of salad cream and chilli sauce.

Dessert was double cream, sugar-free jelly and a few pieces of chopped apple and pear (shared with husband, who has the majority of the fruit, aside from the dog, Pippa, who has a couple of pieces of apple).

and 6 miles on the exercise bike......which I must go and do right now! Lol.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - just a few minutes ago - 2 pork sausages and some tomatoes.

I was intending to make soup again for lunch but I'm very short of vegetables at present. Only have butternut squash, onions and celeriac - apart from tomatoes and some green leafy things in the fridge and freezer. Probably manage something with that.

Evening meal - Making some smoked mackerel pate and will have that with some pickled cucumber, which I made yesterday, and some more tomatoes.

I ended up making the soup with a kind of Asian flavour - beef stock and a few bits of beef off the bone with celeriac, butternut squash, onion, green pepper, red pepper, some spices, half a chili left in the fridge and some celery I found in the bottom of the fridge. Finished off with lemon juice and soya sauce. Enough left to have tomorrow and the day after.

Evening meal was the pate with tomatoes and pickled cucumber. Pic below.

This evening the local council delivered 2 boxes of food for Neil, as a person to be shielded. I haven't unpacked them yet but I see there are potatoes and carrots in there as well as some bread and some pasta. I'll leave it for Neil to unpack but he's sleeping off a day working in the sun at the moment.

mackerel pate 1.JPG

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Two identical boxes of groceries were delivered this evening for Neil (as a shielded individual) from the local council. Some of it he can use, but most of it he can't. I can use some of it but his brother will end up with the rest for his family. One thing that gave us a laugh was dark chocolate scented shower foam. I mean, who wants to go around smelling of dark chocolate? Contents of one of the boxes in the pic below:

GROCERIES.JPG

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
28-04-2020

Breakfast nut granola and CWC one scrambled egg with two rashers of bacon.

Lunch: Garden salad, one slice pain Kapnor toast with i thick slice of pâté on top. Almost more pâté than toast. red cabbage coleslaw. Cucumber. Water and tea.

More tea, and more tea.

Dinner: had the second shoulder pork chop. so much more juicy than the loin version. Roast celariac, brocolli, carrot, and a few bits of leek. Water to drink.

Then made lemon mug cakes. Took ages working out the sweetener substitutes, have only one in the cupboard. But cakes came out ok. Cannot enthuse, was not that good. But it was acceptable and guilt free

Had one with cream. Other will be Mid morning treat tomorrow, but only if I go out on bike first.

Spent the afternoon, sorting out/cleaning the fridge, riced some veg for freezing. Fridge is looking a bit empty now, however freezer is nearly full.

@Chook. You must have been cross about the paint on your skirt. Naughty of MrC to not put up a sign. Did have a chuckle though at the badger faced black lab.

@maglil55 Have thought about one of those little wheeled carts. However have a sneaking suspicion that Amazon would not consider it an essential item and it could easily take a month to arrive
@Goonergal Will try the bacon wrapped halloumi another day, or I will probably regret it. Having to temporarily reduce fat in diet until tummy settles again. Its a very accurate stress monitor. I feel ok, stomach says "not really."

Spent far too long on internet shopping. crashed into bed without doing exercises or posting.

Pic of my little lemon cake
20200428_212717.jpeg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning everyone

@SlimLizzy He's promised me a replacement skirt :)

i'm sooooo tired today - I don't know why. I slept 9 hours last night and when I got up I felt like I could sleep another 9! I also don't feel hungry (which is very unusual).

Breakfast: black decaff
Lunch: black decaff coffee
Dinner: Mr C's turn to cook. I think for me its Vivera Shwarama* wraps (mine in romaine lettuce leaves). He will have chicken fajitas in ordinary wraps. Both of us will have chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, grated cheese and sour cream toppings - I just hope I feel hungry come dinner time.

* Probably not the correct spelling

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook - Eons ago, I had a great big Adidas spider living in my house.

I moved into the house, whilst major building work was going on. The ground floor was being gutted, and amongst other features I ha d a cement mixer in the lounge.

Anyway, when the work was well progressed and lest dusty, I decided I could start prepping for painting, which there were no floor coverings; concluding I'd never get a better change to paint skirtings all the way to the ground.

During the undercoating phase, a big spider appeared. I'm fine with spiders, but I wanted him to push off, to allow me to get on, so I prodded him with my paintbrush. From then on, he had 3 stripes - hence Adidas spider.

He lived a long time like that, and I was quite sad one day when I discovered a desiccated Adidas spider in the front porch.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Enjoying being at home without the need to work. Another long walk today followed by OMAD of chicken thighs (copied your idea @DCUKMod and used chilli oil to coat them), sausages and the Barnsley chop picked up in Waitrose yesterday. Delicious but way too much food - one piece of chicken and one sausage now cooling off to be eaten later in the week (assuming I don’t suddenly get hungry later today).

Editing to add that ALL of this was cooked in the new airfryer at the same time - chicken on top shelf, lamb and sausages middle - just put the sausages in a bit later.

DD9B76A7-1EA6-4D03-8AFA-05922278FBDC.jpeg

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Enjoying being at home without the need to work. Another long walk today followed by OMAD of chicken thighs (copied your idea @DCUKMod and used chilli oil to coat them), sausages and the Barnsley chop picked up in Waitrose yesterday. Delicious but way too much food - one piece of chicken and one sausage now cooling off to be eaten later in the week (assuming I don’t suddenly get hungry later today).

Editing to add that ALL of this was cooked in the new airfryer at the same time - chicken on top shelf, lamb and sausages middle - just put the sausages in a bit later.

View attachment 40874

I bet you could have fitted a few chips in there too.

Ooops. Did I say that?

It really has a deceptively cavernous cavity.

I keep meaning to measure the internal footprint again, as Lidl had some great smallish, square enamel roasting tins that could be useful drip trays for some of the really drippier stuff.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - raspberries and cream
Lunch - soup from yesterday
Evening meal will be scrambled eggs and perhaps some black pudding.

No 2 son popped in to pick up the box of food that we couldn't use. I had to warn him about the bread - apparently it is made with soya flour and may contain sesame. These both mean that DIL has to be careful of 1) soya and avoid at all costs 2) sesame. But the kids and No 2 son can eat the bread. The potatoes, carrots, fruit and tinned goods will come in useful to them. I will have to get in touch with the council and tell them not to send any more - it should really go to someone who needs it more and who can actually use it all.

Typo edited in that paragraph.

My shopping volunteer will get what she can for me on Friday but I will run out of milk before then. I can manage without that though. Milkless tea is OK as long as it is green or black leaf tea. Builders' type tea is useless without milk imo. I do have plenty of cream but definitely not in tea and not very often in coffee.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bet you could have fitted a few chips in there too.

Ooops. Did I say that?

It really has a deceptively cavernous cavity.

I keep meaning to measure the internal footprint again, as Lidl had some great smallish, square enamel roasting tins that could be useful drip trays for some of the really drippier stuff.

And I have figured out how to get the door off for cleaning :cat:

Reactions: maglil55