• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyDilbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have mixed feelings about masks. Could create a false sense of security with people not following social distancing recommendations.

Reactions: gibby3694

gibby3694

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm concerned about wearing a mask as I've got a latex allergy and asthma but a lot of masks I've seen don't give full details of what materials are used. Working from home for last 7wks and only out among people once a week for shopping. Do got for a local walk but get anxious when I go out so have started to use exercise bike for exercise

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not only wearing a mask but have also been making sets of three fabric masks per person for my family members. Including scaled down versions for my grandchildren.
What material are you making your masks from? The masks I bought aren't a close fit so I tend to have to keep touching my face to adjust them - which is not good. Thought I might try making some myself but not sure of the materials to use. The ones I bought are black material with a central seam shaped to cover you nose, they seem to be a knitted fabric with foam between the cloth layers.

Last edited:

timy148

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have mixed feelings about masks. Could create a false sense of security with people not following social distancing recommendations.
you need more than a mask to protect you from idiots around you. i went shopping today and i had to ask a woman to step away from me she was almost in my pocket

PGB1962

Much of the confusion around masks stems from the conflation of two very different functions of masks - ingress and egress.

Masks can be worn to protect the wearer from getting infected or masks can be worn to protect others from being infected by the wearer. Protecting the wearer is difficult: It requires medical-grade respirator masks, a proper fit, and careful putting on and taking off. Unfortunately this is probably what a majority of the public believe is why they should wear a mask. But masks can also be worn to prevent transmission to others, and this is their most important use for society. If we lower the likelihood of one person’s infecting another, the impact is exponential, so even a small reduction in those odds results in a huge decrease in deaths. Luckily, blocking transmission outward at the source is much easier. It can be accomplished with something as simple as a cloth mask.

Remember, new infections start from people who are already infected and mask wearing can help prevent them spreading the disease.

I agree there are also downsides to wearing a mask as it can mean increasing your own viral load especially as it creates a warm and moist environment for exhaled virus particles to breed

Edited by moderator for clarity

Last edited by a moderator:

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I'm not going out, so I'm not wearing a mask!!
Tomorrow is my birthday though, and for a huge treat I shall be going shopping with my husband. To a supermarket and a newsagent, I'm almost giddy with glee. I shall be wearing a headscarf type thing adjusted so it covers my mouth and nose, so still not a mask technically.

Astronomer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have bought masks online, but will only wear them if it becomes mandatory. I go for a long walk every day, and I see very few people wearing masks.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m fully in favour of masks, even if just a scarf pulled up to catch a cough or sneeze.
But so many people don’t engage their brain and use them sensibly.

I was looking out of my front window yesterday. Mr NextDoor was crossing the road to his own front gate.
He was wearing latex gloves, and I watched him remove his mask with one hand, pass it to the other gloved hand, then scratch his nose and cheek. The mask then swung from one hand, by the elastic, brushing against his glove, his cuff and the front of his jacket. As he approached his gate, he passed the mask from hand to hand again, thumb on the inside, fingers on the outside. With his newly available hand he opened his gate by the catch, and then opened his front door by the handle, and went inside.

Sooo, if there was virus on either the inside or the outside of that mask, I reckon that (in the 50 feet from his car to his hallway), he transferred it to his face and nose, both gloves, his cuff and jacket front, the gate latch, his front door handle.
I wonder where he spread it once he got inside?

personally, I’m not wearing a mask while cycling or dog walking. Social distancing is easy there.
But after seeing the absurd lack of social distancing in a supermarket last week, I will be wearing one next time I go shopping.
I don't really mind catching Covid-19 (rather get it over with), but I have no intention of passing it on, asymptomatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diane fluteplayer
D

Deleted member 308541

personally, I’m not wearing a mask while cycling or dog walking. Social distancing is easy there.
But after seeing the absurd lack of social distancing in a supermarket last week, I will be wearing one next time.
The major supermarkets have a system in place at the moment, that they only let so many shoppers in at time. You have to queue outside till they let you in.

Old link but it applies here.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04...es-coles-woolworths-aldi-add-queuing/12125656

Rumlinji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being ill
What material are you making your masks from? The masks I bought aren't a close fit so I tend to have to keep touching my face to adjust them - which is not good. Thought I might try making some myself but not sure of the materials to use. The ones I bought are black material with a central seam shaped to cover you nose, they seem to be a knitted fabric with foam between the cloth layers.
I’m making masks from cotton for the lining and poly cotton for the outer side, I have made and donated nearly 2000 to care homes and nhs workers. No complaints from anyone as to them not fitting.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The major supermarkets have a system in place at the moment, that they only let so many shoppers in at time. You have to queue outside till they let you in.

yup.
They all do that.
Doesn’t stop people walking, standing and talking far to close to each other once inside, though.
At least a quarter of the shoppers were acting as if they had never heard of social distancing, talking on phones, reaching past other customers to get stuff out of fridges, standing too close...

The staff were standing right next to each other, chatting, or filling shelves, then asking the customers to obey the social distancing rules - to very little effect.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m fully in favour of masks, even if just a scarf pulled up to catch a cough or sneeze.
But so many people don’t engage their brain and use them sensibly.

I was looking out of my front window yesterday. Mr NextDoor was crossing the road to his own front gate.
He was wearing latex gloves, and I watched him remove his mask with one hand, pass it to the other gloved hand, then scratch his nose and cheek. The glove then swung from one hand, by the elastic, brushing against his glove, his cuff and the front of his jacket. As he approached his gate, he passed the mask from hand to hand again, thumb on the inside, fingers on the outside. With his newly available hand he opened his gate by the catch, and then opened his front door by the handle, and went inside.

Sooo, if there was virus on either the inside or the outside of that mask, I reckon that (in the 50 feet from his car to his hallway), he transferred it to his face and nose, both gloves, his cuff and jacket front, the gate latch, his front door handle.
I wonder where he spread it once he got inside?

But after seeing the absurd lack of social distancing in a supermarket last week, I will be wearing one next time I go shopping.
I don't really mind catching Covid-19 (rather get it over with), but I have no intention of passing it on, asymptomatically.

So with you on gloves.
Lab I worked in they were all over the place and just peel them off and on with new ones... taking them off, doing something and then putting them back on... OML.

Really in three minds about masks, protecting others by reducing outflow I can see, protecting from getting really not sure about.

Reactions: jjraak
D

Deleted member 308541

The staff were standing right next to each other, chatting, or filling shelves, then asking the customers to obey the social distancing rules - to very little effect.
Bit of the old pot calling the kettle black that is.

When I was getting some money out of a ATM near Woolies supermarket at the shopping centre, there were a couple of Qld police keeping an eye out.

set-in-stone

Yes to face mask when I am out. Plus social distancing. Though some supermarket aisles do not help. I have to be careful as vulnerable person in my household.

Bought them online - blue and white type. I do find it difficult to breathe when wearing them for long spells, though.

Reactions: jjraak and Soraya

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When in clinic it was mandatory for us to wear masks and gloves when treating patients and for a very good reason not to pass on pathogens to the patient or to get infected by pathogens brought in to the clinic by patients simples really wear masks and gloves they will afford some protection even if not total from cross infection if your worried about pathogens on the gloves or mask then wash your hands with the gloves on or spray them with disinfectant then remove mask and discard it then gloves and dispose of them in a suitable container.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you feel a false sense of security when wearing a seatbelt? Or a crash helmet? Or gardening gloves?

So long as people are made to understand what their purpose is (protect others more than yourself) I think this is a poor argument against masks. The crux of it is people consider PPE as self protective not public protective and this is the thing to get their heads around. It’s closer to a bicycle bell than the helmet in that sense.

As far as it spread it spreading germs further - where would those viral particles have landed if you weren’t wearing a mask? On your mouth and nose directly. Which you would likely have touched spreading them to your hands etc etc so how is an extra barrier for yourself and a delay (if you touch the mask removing it) in passing it along to your hands worse? And will you touch you face more or less wearing the mask? It’s a pretty good reminder not to in my personal experience as I’m much more aware of it. Same goes for plastic gloves. Sensible disposal needs to be educated.

The only argument that hold weight for me is the protecting supplies for nhs/care workers.

I’d like to see some science about what the breath vapour actually does to viral exposure on either side of the mask. I’d also like to know what protection the clear visors give both with and without masks and to whom. The pharmacy staff near me wear these without masks.

Reactions: AloeSvea and Soraya

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No. Don't need to so won't

EB6407

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm seeing far more people wearing masks when going to the supermarket now and wondered whether people are wearing a mask or not? I've been wearing a makeshift mask but think I may a "proper" one.

x
I wear a full 3M series 6800 respirator mask with the screen protecting both eyes, nose and mouth. I am type 2 diabetic. Not going overboard with gloves as well. Cannot see the point. Just wash my hands when I get home. I see individual over doing things with having to sanitising the shopping basket in the supermarket is just crazy. Not heard anything going through the skin. Wiping down an supermarket shopping basket is a bit of the over kill on things. Just wash your hands when you get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.