Votes: 88 30.7%
  • Considering it

Votes: 51 17.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Member496333

If I say no, will I be labelled a denier, a super-spreader, or a co-vidiot, and publically stoned to death on Twitter? :rolleyes:

Reactions: WackyJacky64

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Similar to a few others I’m not wearing a mask when out walking but I have bought some for use on supermarket trips.

However that system breaks down when I spot a supermarket with no queue while out walking and stop by for an impromptu visit. I did that yesterday and in one small store I had to ask the 3 staff members gathered in a huddle at the entrance/exit to move so that I could exit at a safe distance.

Sipho1326

I’m fully in favour of masks, even if just a scarf pulled up to catch a cough or sneeze.
But so many people don’t engage their brain and use them sensibly.

I was looking out of my front window yesterday. Mr NextDoor was crossing the road to his own front gate.
He was wearing latex gloves, and I watched him remove his mask with one hand, pass it to the other gloved hand, then scratch his nose and cheek. The mask then swung from one hand, by the elastic, brushing against his glove, his cuff and the front of his jacket. As he approached his gate, he passed the mask from hand to hand again, thumb on the inside, fingers on the outside. With his newly available hand he opened his gate by the catch, and then opened his front door by the handle, and went inside.

Sooo, if there was virus on either the inside or the outside of that mask, I reckon that (in the 50 feet from his car to his hallway), he transferred it to his face and nose, both gloves, his cuff and jacket front, the gate latch, his front door handle.
I wonder where he spread it once he got inside?

personally, I’m not wearing a mask while cycling or dog walking. Social distancing is easy there.
But after seeing the absurd lack of social distancing in a supermarket last week, I will be wearing one next time I go shopping.
I don't really mind catching Covid-19 (rather get it over with), but I have no intention of passing it on, asymptomatically.
I too am a firm believer in masks when one goes to public places such as the supermarkets. South Africa is going from L5 to L4 of the lockdown from the 1st of May, and the new regulations require everybody to wear a mask when in public spaces. We’ll see the level of compliance then?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried, but wearing an oxygen cannula in the nose, plus being blind without glasses, all it did was fog up my glasses and make me feel even more breathless than usual. Luckily I don't need to go out very much, so it hasn't really been an issue in my part of the world with our low numbers.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
It does seem the rest of the world is adopting but whether there are enough to go round in the UK seems

You don't have to buy one, you can make one. Different materials will afford different levels of protection. Seems hoover bags are second to proper surgical masks. Not sure how you utalise one for making a mask, I expect there will be a Youtube video. The government's reasoning that we will deprive the NHS is complete BS. Ignoring the fact the government should have had a stockpile (see Panorama, maybe not the best source) at the end of 2019, they've since had plenty of chance to acquire masks. The Panorama program also interviewed the MD of a company making the material and shipping it to the U.S. because the U.K. Government did not want to know. Please wear a mask for the sake of people who HAVE to go out.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Not going to shops, mixing in close contact like transport so not wearing one.
Would, if had to go to shops, mind you I would also wear a full diy face visor and gloves to give me protection as well.
Would look like Darth Vader.
D.

Reactions: jjraak and Liam1955

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using an FP3 mask for sanding the walls but not for shopping or exercising, I don't personally see the point.

I too wear a mask for DIY and dusty housework, have done for years due to allergy issues. Have a super duper one that you change filters on. They are an absolute pain in the neck. Must be worn properly and make you very warm. I find myself fiddling with them all the time. I shall not be wearing one when out and about unless it becomes a criminal offence not to. I think germs landing on them make me more susceptible when touching and may be brushing my eyes with that hand. Also, you must wear a new one each time you go out and if you wear a cloth one they must be boil washed each time you take them off. I’d much rather people kept their distance. I think if people start wearing one they will get blasé, stop social distancing and I will be more at danger.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m making masks from cotton for the lining and poly cotton for the outer side, I have made and donated nearly 2000 to care homes and nhs workers. No complaints from anyone as to them not fitting.
Thank you for the info, at the beginning of the pandemic when I first researched making them, the recommendation was to use non-woven, fabric and I wasn't sure what was meant by that. I've got some old "Heals" cotton furnishing fabric around somewhere - close weave so hopefully that should be ok. Thank you again.

Reactions: jjraak

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I think if people start wearing one they will get blasé, stop social distancing and I will be more at danger.

Possibly true, but the research that has been done so far, and they seem to have been doing this research for previous pandemics, suggests there is some benefit to wearing masks. I found a few references to some good old fashioned peer reviewed empirical evidence. Nobody is suggesting that it's foolproof because it isn't, but anything reducing the risk is to be considered.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2662657/
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2
https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news...-in-covid-19-crisis-say-cambridge-researchers which refers to https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1442/article-info
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover.html
https://www.uea.ac.uk/about/-/face-masks-could-protect-vulnerable-people-against-coronavirus

David Krieger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So many mixed messages on this it's near impossible to know.
The water vapour seems a particularly knotty issue.
It does seem the rest of the world is adopting but whether there are enough to go round in the UK seems unlikely.

Probably doesn't help/
I live in Israel. It is compulsory to wear a mask and those that don't are fined. Covid-19 is highly contagious and linger in the air and on surfaces (both material and hard) for many hours. There is no question that wearing a mask will, along with self isolation and social distancing help spread of this virus..

Reactions: jjraak and Liam1955

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I live in Israel. It is compulsory to wear a mask and those that don't are fined. Covid-19 is highly contagious and linger in the air and on surfaces (both material and hard) for many hours. There is no question that wearing a mask will, along with self isolation and social distancing help spread of this virus..

This is all very true and I am glad you live in a country where the government has executed a plan to supply the correct levels of PPE. This is not the case in the UK. The range of materials that have been suggested as suitable for making a DIY mask is beyond reason and with all this information on how to make one yourself there is next to no QC or IC on it.... and the internet is just full of so much misinformation.
The UK government has dragged this out simply because of supply issues. Is something better than nothing? In this I just don't know.
They have only recently figured out Care homes are an area for concern.... they've not done well in my opinion.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Thank you for the info, at the beginning of the pandemic when I first researched making them, the recommendation was to use non-woven, fabric and I wasn't sure what was meant by that. I've got some old "Heals" cotton furnishing fabric around somewhere - close weave so hopefully that should be ok. Thank you again.

One good tip I picked up somewhere is the hepa vacuum cleaner bag material makes a good mask as it has very good filtration. Not suggesting using a used one mind you.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I bought 2 masks plus filters from Amazon for my Partner and I to wear when we go to the Supermarket.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm not in the mask wearing group, as I believe unless people are instructed properly in donning and removing the kit, it in itself becomes a risk. As a former clinician wearing masks and gloves all day every day, I've had a bit of practice, but going back to gloves, I did a couple of dry runs, at home to re-polish my technique.

That said, I have researched making masks, so that I could ensure, if they became mandatory, I would be able to self-supply.

The research I did recommends at least two layers, plus it is very simple to create a simple "pocket" for any filtering material you might choose.

My test run took about 15 minutes, start to finish, although I do have a home makee-doooee workshop where my sewing machines and other stuff is permanently set up, so add a few minutes to set up your machine. If you will hand sew, it'll take a bit longer.

YouTube has a gazillion videos, some produced better than others.

My only comment on reusing cotton masks is if they are repeatedly washed at high temperatures, and elastic is used as the fitments, the elastic won't last long and will result in a less and less well-fitting item.

Reactions: Salvia

Soraya

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Definitely yes, and this is one of the reasons why the virus propagates so fast in Europe and North America compared to Asia, where the population density is a lot higher. In Taiwan and in Japan it is common sense that when we go out, we: 1) Wear a mask 2) Keep social distance 3) Disinfect our hands. When we return home we: 1) Take off our mask properly 2) Disinfect our hands and stuff 3) Gargle salt with water. Does doing these things give us a "sense of security"? NO! The virus is deadly, so one layer of protection is considered basic, and we do not lower our guard because of that.

But I also understand that it is cultural for some places to wear masks and not for others. It takes a lot of courage to go against one's own culture. It is therefore a big challenge to go against it and try something new.

Last edited:

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No as I do not think this is necessary of effective in any case. \We do need to protect the very frail and elderly and its a scandal that care homes were not the focus of shielding, testing and containment.
\We have lived with viruses throughout our existence and they burn themselves out once enough people are exposed NOT because we've been wearing masks and social distancing. I am not denying that there is a new virus out there or suggesting we should all go to virus parties but I feel that shutting the economy down is a disproportionate reaction to this that is likely to cause unintended harms without saving lives.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not wearing a mask, but all I do is walk the dog where it is very easy to social distance. I don't go shopping. I can count the number of people I have seen wearing a mask on one hand. As far as I am aware (because I can't see any information about this on the internet, in the local press, or on local radio) I am assuming my small town is relatively free of the virus.

However, we have just received an order of 2 packs of 5 masks from the internet. The firm is
https://elle.co.uk/collections/prot...mask-5-pack-washable-large-size-free-shipping
They arrived complete with a set of instructions within 5 days of ordering. These are in case they become compulsory.

My husband watched an elderly man approaching a queue outside a supermarket. He was wearing a mask. He pulled it down, rubbed his nose with his hand, replaced the mask and grabbed a trolley handle.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Funny isn't it people said all the same things about the use of condoms as protection from HIV infection but in general they were used by the majority to good effect even though they weren't 100% effective.

For example

Laboratory testing shows that condoms are impermeable to viruses, but protection rates are lower in real-world studies.

Condoms can only protect against HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) if used correctly.

Protection rates can be significantly improved by combining condoms with other forms of prevention.

Mind you I am in no way suggesting we all walk around with condoms over our heads that would be stretching things a little too far. It would make breathing a bit difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.