Does anyone else nod off without realising

BabyPink

So recently I've started nodding off most afternoon/evening. They're only 20 min naps but they happen sometimes without me even realizing I'm dropping off. I even nodded off with a cup in my hand the other day. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I was diagnosed I could fall asleep at the drop of a hat. As soon as I got control of my blood sugar it stopped.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry I missed it was your first post, welcome to the forum.

Have you been diagnosed with diabetes?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
So recently I've started nodding off most afternoon/evening.

You won't realise because if you do, you don't nod off. I'm just coming up to 68 and I nod off a lot. I have been told not to worry about it. I too have fallen asleep with a cup of coffee in my hand, even the wetness in my lap didn't disturb me. My wife tells me that I fall into a very deep sleep because she can't wake me up.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So recently I've started nodding off most afternoon/evening. They're only 20 min naps but they happen sometimes without me even realizing I'm dropping off
Brief 20 minute naps don't sound too worrying to me. On the other hand, if this is a new development, and if you also often feel tired/sleepy in the afternoons, it might just be worth getting checked out at a sleep clinic. Diabetes and sleep apnoeia do tend to go together (along with AF). For years I only had to enter my bedroom in the afternoon for my large double bed to act as an irresistible magnet. I'd end up sleeping for hours instead of going out as planned. Nowadays ever since the NHS lent me a dental device and later a machine and mask to control my sleep apnoeia, my bed has lost its power over me, at least in the daytime. A sleep clinic can set you up with a diagnostic test to take at night at home.

Another possibility is that you have raised your level of activity or reduced your hours in bed and you just need more sleep as a result. Nodding off when sitting upright on a hard kitchen chair used to happen to me regularly in the long ago days when I was doing long distance running. Do you wake up naturally or with an alarm? If your napping incidents only happen on days when you have been woken artificially, that is a clue!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you test your blood glucose? I wondered if you might be high.
Do you snore?
Sleep apnoea might be making you sleep deprived.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I am, I'm not really overweight either. Perhaps I could lose a few pounds.
I was diagnosed, found this forum and started keto. Within a couple of weeks I noticed I wasn't getting sleepy. I fell off the wagon a couple of times and had a carb fest. Zonked out straight away.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Got to say my 20 minute snooze at about 5 pm is the best sleep of the day, I’ve cat napped for years ,was probably down to working continental shifts for over 30 years , it’s a difficult one I know tiredness can be a symptom of high bs but if sugars are ok it might just bodies way of a quick recharge of batteries,

miik

So recently I've started nodding off most afternoon/evening. They're only 20 min naps but they happen sometimes without me even realizing I'm dropping off. I even nodded off with a cup in my hand the other day. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Yes used to nod off all the time ,now got blood sugar under control happens less often and feel less tired in general.

Detritus

Used to have to have pm naps daily. Slept like a log. After diagnosis, weight loss and metformin I can't nap during the day, too much energy and night sleep has seriously just reduced.. but that might be Covid19-itis

Pcg33kuk

I get this a lot, and even had it at my desk at work, i would sort of zone out completely whilst staring at the screen, and would start from where i left off if i was in middle of a conversation at any time of day... Im also finding i violently jerk my head back and my missus has started putting a pillow behind me as i keep hitting the wall or radiator top.

Im working on cutting my carbs, and got them down to under 100grams a day, but my blood sugar is ranging between 4.9 and 9.7 which worries me even more

Reactions: Johnxjr1300

I'm Steve

Forgive the intrusion.

I'm always tired. Going to bed early to wake up tired. In and out of sleep for 2 days last week, in the front room, morning until late evening, then sleep all night and wake up tired.

Before I was furlough, I really would struggle to stay alert and in the conversations with my work mates. Fighting the wave of fatigue is difficult.

Home usually for 16:30. Dinner... before 17:30 is about right. Wake up in armchair kinda round 22:30. Off to bed, wake up tired and fatigued with little enthusiasm for breathing, let alone the day ahead.

Can't be right.

Amart

Yes tends to happen a lot if my BG spikes upwards after eating “hidden carbs” within food at restaurants/ parties ‍♂️

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I nod off of an afternoon after very stressful days at work. It is when I start to relax. I am not worried and you probably should not be too if your blood sugar is under control.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I can be playing a game on the PC and then wake up with a stiff neck and twenty minutes has passed.