New blood meter - first readings

Rstanton

Hi so just reporting back my initial results and findings, I am not sure how accurate the device is.

The device I bought was the Sinocare Blood Glucose monitoring kit (from Amazon).

28/04/2020

Last meal eaten 20:00

29/04/2020

I had skipped breakfast as I wanted a fasting BG reading but the device was not due to arrive between 15:00-18:00

I had lunch at 13:40 of homemade tomato soup with bacon, onion, corn and mixed beans, with only water to drink.

The device arrived at 16:15

I took readings around 16:30 and these were:

L / L / 3.9 / L / L

I then had dinner at 18:00 and took readings at the following times:-
(Edit: dinner was the same but with potatoes added)

BG @ 19:00 – 7.3
BG @ 19:30 - 7.5
BG @ 20:00 – L / 7.0 / L / 7.2 / 6.7

On 30/04/2020 I took readings at the following times

BG @ 4:30 (woke up early) 5.3 / L / 5.1 / 5.3
BG @ 7:30 5.7 / L / 6.3 / 6.4 / L

From the Amazon review the L reading is sometimes an indication that the testing strip has not received sufficient blood for a reading.

Any advice over these readings?

Thanks

Last edited:

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes i have that monitor, you have to make sure you have a good droplet of blood. Then hold the finger still and take the end of the test strip/meter to the droplet of blood. I find this way round better as it then "sucks up" all the blood till its full.

You will get the hang of it quickly enough im sure - i easted a few test strips when i first started

Reactions: Rstanton

Rstanton

Thanks Sno0opy - That's a good tip!

I called my GP Practice and spoke to the Nurse giving her the above figures, she did not seem concerned about the figures, but I pushed for a HbA1c, she did not think it would show anything though,

From my limited amount of reading I believe the above figures would at least put me into the 'Pre-diabetes' category.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Thanks Sno0opy - That's a good tip!

I called my GP Practice and spoke to the Nurse giving her the above figures, she did not seem concerned about the figures, but I pushed for a HbA1c, she did not think it would show anything though,

From my limited amount of reading I believe the above figures would at least put me into the 'Pre-diabetes' category.

Not necessarily you’ve got some low numbers there. It’s very rare a T2 would get a 3.9 without medication or a super strict diet in the year leading upto diagnosis it was rare I would wake up below 12 and 2 hour after food I would be in the 20’s

My partner who is type 2 is very similar to me

So I think you may be worried unnecessarily at this point

Reactions: Rstanton

Rstanton

Thanks for your reply, that must have been quite frustrating having to wait that long for a diagnosis..!

The 3.9 may have been impacted by not eating from 20:00 the previous day until 13:40 the next day (I skipped breakfast as I was hoping the meter would be delivered earlier.

I then tested my self at 16:45 and got the 3.9 (and several L readings which may have been me not getting enough blood onto the strip).

I guess I will know more after my HbA1c (though I have read elsewhere that this test is not advised for people showing symptoms of diabetes less than 2 months).

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Thanks for your reply, that must have been quite frustrating having to wait that long for a diagnosis..!

The 3.9 may have been impacted by not eating from 20:00 the previous day until 13:40 the next day (I skipped breakfast as I was hoping the meter would be delivered earlier.

I then tested my self at 16:45 and got the 3.9 (and several L readings which may have been me not getting enough blood onto the strip).

I guess I will know more after my HbA1c (though I have read elsewhere that this test is not advised for people showing symptoms of diabetes less than 2 months).

The hba1c is an average of the last 3 months but is biased slightly towards the most recent weeks but I would imagine if you have symptoms that you’d have been borderline anyway so would have little impact